Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Just another girl thread

Just another girl thread (Page 2)
trip
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2005, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by bstone
I'm just a nice, gentle, sweet guy- and I lose every time.
With that kinda thinking - damn right you're going to lose every time and I don't feel bad for you at all. Change the attitude and then you'll win. Sorry to be a prick, but it's true - and you need to hear it. Chicks dig confidence not poor me I such a nice guy, why can't I get it up !!!
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2005, 10:01 PM

When I am with them I am confident. Many have said they are impressed by it and dig it. I guess I've been dating the weird ones who think confidence is unattractive?

I'm also sensitive, gentle, kind, caring, reliable and sweet.

They say they want those things. I am dubious.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Cipher13
Jun 1, 2005, 10:17 PM

Sensitive? Gentle? Kind? Caring? Reliable? Sweet?

That's exactly your problem. It's well established that women are irrational creatures, in the eyes of men; they don't want you to be all over them in your gentle, sweet, caring, reliable, sensitive, kind way.

Winning strategy, except in exceptional circumstances: don't care. Don't be interested. Make them want you, and don't give it to them until they want you enough to do something about it themselves. Even then, don't make it so easy. Don't call them every 30 seconds, and don't answer their calls on the first ring.

Of course they say they want those things - how many will say "I like them to be irresponsible, unreliable, ..." etc? How many are even aware of the fact themselves?

Oh, and as for the friendship zone... it can be overcome quite spectacularly. It just might take a while. It's up to you if you want to wait around for that, and if you say you do, well, you've learned nothing from this post.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2005, 10:17 PM

Don't you understand women yet? If they say they don't want it, they want it. If they say they want it, they want it, but maybe not as much as they lead you to believe. If they say they're fine, then something is wrong. If they say something is wrong, then something is wrong, but probably its not that big of a deal.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2005, 10:34 PM

Maybe it would help if you gave some examples of how you're sensitive, gentle, kind, and so on. Just because those aren't bad qualities doesn't mean they can't be implemented poorly. Giving them tons of attention might be considered caring, but it's definitely not something they'll respond to well. To really help, we need to know if you're being sensitive and gentle without being a pansy.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2005, 10:41 PM

Basically, when they need me I am there. When a girl calls me because she had a fight with her roommate or best friend, I'll drop everything to whisk her away from it all. When they call me at 3am cause they're drunk and at some random guys apartment (and don't know how they got there). When they need a shoulder to cry on, someone to bounce something off of, a nonjudgemental person to hear their thoughts, a few extra bucks for the electrical bill that month, someone to study with at 11pm (for a 9am test), etc etc etc

I make myself available- both as a friend/physically (shoulder to cry on, drop everything and rescue them no matter where/what time) and emotionally (they know they can cry in front of me and have a shoulder to put their head on...in fact that happened today).

I'm every girl's friend. Alas, not much more. The ones who fall for me are nuts and would fall for any guy who gives them the time of day.

Blah.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2005, 11:40 PM

Hey girlfriend!

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2005, 11:50 PM

Basically, when they need me I am there. When a girl calls me because she had a fight with her roommate or best friend, I'll drop everything to whisk her away from it all. When they call me at 3am cause they're drunk and at some random guys apartment (and don't know how they got there). When they need a shoulder to cry on, someone to bounce something off of, a nonjudgemental person to hear their thoughts, a few extra bucks for the electrical bill that month, someone to study with at 11pm (for a 9am test), etc etc etc

I make myself available- both as a friend/physically (shoulder to cry on, drop everything and rescue them no matter where/what time) and emotionally (they know they can cry in front of me and have a shoulder to put their head on...in fact that happened today).
All that stuff is fine if you're doing it for someone you're in an established relationship or friendship with. But if you're doing those types of things for someone you want to date, but doesn't want to date you, then you're being used. You're being used because you want more out of the relationship then they do; they're getting what they want but you're not.

And if you're fine with that concept, because you like being nice, then you're presenting yourself as a pushover. You're not obligated to put peoples lives in order.

historylme
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 01:40 AM

Amen!

Edit: Did you read the "Ladder theory" and the "Intellectual Whore" theory in the other girl post?

It describes your situation to a T.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2005, 04:27 AM

I'm every girl's friend. Alas, not much more. The ones who fall for me are nuts and would fall for any guy who gives them the time of day.

Blah.
Hence you make yourself out to be a friend, not a mate. You don't have to be a sob, rat bastard, but don't be too friendly with girls you like.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
All that stuff is fine if you're doing it for someone you're in an established relationship or friendship with. But if you're doing those types of things for someone you want to date, but doesn't want to date you, then you're being used. You're being used because you want more out of the relationship then they do; they're getting what they want but you're not.

And if you're fine with that concept, because you like being nice, then you're presenting yourself as a pushover. You're not obligated to put peoples lives in order.
You couldn't be more right. I learned this lesson the hard way earlier in the year. You can't be the same nice guy that your are to your friends. My best friend is a girl, and I give her everything I can but I don't want to date her. You don't want to be a dick, but you also don't want to be their best friend. Find a girl you like, and act like you don't care. You don't want to become her shoulder to cry until after you have been going out for a while.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2005, 08:10 AM

It's called being an emotional tampon.

Time to cut the string.

I have had more success by just saying what I mean than playing silly games.

Thee her you just wanna shag and get it over with.

You know, I don' want no relationship, I jus want bang bang bang!

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 08:24 AM

Well, USE HER INPUT to find out what women want, and then keep asking her questions on how to get ANOTHER woman. Come back depressed from the ordeal, and maybe she'll take pity on you for trying and failing, and she'll give you some............

Women are from VENUS - men are from MARS.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 2, 2005, 08:26 AM

Send her some nice sweet romantic poems.

For example.

I laid eyes upon you and my heart was smitten.
Without your warming touch my soul grows frost bitten.
Now please remove your skirt so I may play with your kitten.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2005, 09:20 AM

I've come to the conclusion that what women want most of all is for men to know what women want. Note that I didn't say that they want to tell men what they want; that's actually quite rare, in my experience. It's as if they want men to just sort of know, somehow, or as if they think that asking for something is some kind of grand dishonor.

I've no clue as to how this is supposed to actually work. I'm lucky enough to have found a mate who doesn't mind making her desires known. I suspect that for most women, though, men are expected to put a lot of detective work into figuring out what the women in their lives want. Is this considered some kind of sign of affection or something?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2005, 10:33 AM

The other guys did some exposition on what I was meaning. Saying you're all "sweet" and "gentle" and all that makes you sound like the girl. Unless she's into girls, you're only going to land a psycho chick. Otherwise, start sweating, let your facial hair get scruffy, and get some hair on your chest.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
The other guys did some exposition on what I was meaning. Saying you're all "sweet" and "gentle" and all that makes you sound like the girl. Unless she's into girls, you're only going to land a psycho chick. Otherwise, start sweating, let your facial hair get scruffy, and get some hair on your chest.

Maury
Ahh, this is the problem. Girls who are emotionally unstable and a little nuts (aka psycho chick) fall for me like a ton of bricks, usually within 4 hours of meeting me. It's been very weird and I've had to tell more than one I'm not interested. They simply have no confidence and fall WAY TOO QUICKLY.

This girl had confidence, witty, looks and a beautiful soul. Guess I'll have to keep looking, but I do appreciate the comments.

Cipher13
Jun 2, 2005, 12:28 PM

Ahh, this is the problem. Girls who are emotionally unstable and a little nuts (aka psycho chick) fall for me like a ton of bricks, usually within 4 hours of meeting me. It's been very weird and I've had to tell more than one I'm not interested. They simply have no confidence and fall WAY TOO QUICKLY.

This girl had confidence, witty, looks and a beautiful soul. Guess I'll have to keep looking, but I do appreciate the comments.
A beautiful soul? Dude, you're never gonna get laid at this rate.

Forget how beautiful her soul is, it's not like you're gonna marry the girl. You claim to be a biologist - appreciate the fact that we're still animals, after all.

She's got much more beautiful things than her soul, I'm sure.

historylme
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 12:33 PM

BE A MONKEY MAN!
A man in the outside but sex driven wild in the inside!

Or simply, a normal guy.
( Last edited by historylme; Jun 2, 2005 at 01:11 PM. )

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 12:37 PM

Yeah, Cipher, but the pheramone organ in humans is genetically inactive so things like having a "beautiful soul" (which can be translated as just having a beautiful personality) is so much more important than things like money, position, etc to me.

trip
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2005, 12:40 PM

When I am with them I am confident. Many have said they are impressed by it and dig it. I guess I've been dating the weird ones who think confidence is unattractive?

They want those things when they want those things and they don't want them when they don't. Welcome to the world of women. Your job is to make everything you do interpretable as either - dependant upon how they feel on any given day, but Sunday.

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2005, 12:40 PM

Maybe to you but maybe not the chicks you dig.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2005, 01:29 PM

Yeah, Cipher, but the pheramone organ in humans is genetically inactive so things like having a "beautiful soul" (which can be translated as just having a beautiful personality) is so much more important than things like money, position, etc to me.
I honestly don't know how the "pheromone organ" has any impact on this (or for that matter, what that even means), but I reckon inactive is still better than nonexistent, which is what the "beautiful soul organ" is.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

OreoCookie
Jun 2, 2005, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cipher13
A beautiful soul? Dude, you're never gonna get laid at this rate.

Forget how beautiful her soul is, it's not like you're gonna marry the girl. You claim to be a biologist - appreciate the fact that we're still animals, after all.

She's got much more beautiful things than her soul, I'm sure.
Ay, come on. Not everybody is looking for a quick ****.

The looks is what brings you together, character is what keeps you together. There are guys like you and guys like bstone, and there are girls for every type. Pot. Kettle. That type of deal. And bstone, don't worry, the beautiful ones are not necessarily in the wrong one
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2005, 03:45 PM

You're probably ugly and don't know it. At that age if a girl is physically attracted to you it is usually enough to get past the friend zone. If they are repulsed at the thought of being intimate with you but you are sensitive, gentle, kind, caring, reliable and sweet they will at least be your friend.

Either way it sucks to be you (and all the other guys who start these threads) because it will never again be as easy to get some ass as it is in college. If you are doing bad now your future will be very bleak in the romance department.

Anway, I was just wondering: These threads pop up about once every other month and the same gaddamn advice has to be repeated over and over again. Does no one ever follow any of it? Do you guys think that your situations are unique and special and a different course of action needs to be taken to resolve it? Or are each of you looking to hear that if you stay the course and be yourself the girl will soon realize what a great guy you are and fall in love with you and not the guy you think is jerky, because that is never going to happen. EVER.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2005, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
You're probably ugly and don't know it. At that age if a girl is physically attracted to you it is usually enough to get past the friend zone. If they are repulsed at the thought of being intimate with you but you are sensitive, gentle, kind, caring, reliable and sweet they will at least be your friend.

Either way it sucks to be you (and all the other guys who start these threads) because it will never again be as easy to get some ass as it is in college. If you are doing bad now your future will be very bleak in the romance department.

Anway, I was just wondering: These threads pop up about once every other month and the same gaddamn advice has to be repeated over and over again. Does no one ever follow any of it? Do you guys think that your situations are unique and special and a different course of action needs to be taken to resolve it? Or are each of you looking to hear that if you stay the course and be yourself the girl will soon realize what a great guy you are and fall in love with you and not the guy you think is jerky, because that is never going to happen. EVER.
TEH WINNAR!!!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2005, 05:02 PM

there's alot of fish in the sea.
( Last edited by nredman; Jun 2, 2005 at 06:37 PM. )

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2005, 06:38 PM

Some girls are just undate-able. Move to another country, best way to get a girl off your mind.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
... Move to another country, best way to get a girl off your mind.
I think dating someone else is much easier

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2005, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by E's Lil Theorem
I think dating someone else is much easier
That too. How about moving to another country and dating some nice girls there? That usually works.

That and drinking heavily.

Peder Rice
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2005, 07:28 PM

I think most of you guys are simply more basic than you think you are. Many of you seem so driven by your basic desires that you look past the qualities that bstone describes.

My guess is that bstone is looking for a strong, well founded relationship. He's not looking to score. Well, that is to say that he's probably looking to score, but it's not the priority or the objective of the relationship. I would imagine that bstone seeks an intellectual and emotional equivalent but is insofar looking at the wrong directions to achieve that goal.

Of course, I can't speak for bstone, but I'd assume as much.

If indeed my above statements are correct, then you guys need to back off, for bstone would likely the silent warrior who has until now rarely if ever spoken out. He's a good guy that would do most anything for anyone, and he only now wants something in return. He perhaps doesn't know best how to explain what he wants, but at least he's making some strides. I would imagine that in due time and with enough exploration he could easily find a mate on the same level.

If what I'm saying fits your scenario, bstone, then I would simply suggest looking a little harder. Rather than change your entire personality, look around with a wiser eye and try to find the person that won't expect you to be radically different.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2005, 12:03 AM

Peder Rice, you speak brilliance and very insightfully. You hit it on the nose and I think you for that. Look harder I shall.

Forum Links
Forum Rules