Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > ripping DVD-A (audio)

ripping DVD-A (audio)
epimetheus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2005, 12:36 PM

Hi all,

Did a search on the forum and couldn't find anything on this subject...

Is there a way to rip the audio tracks from a DVD-A? I recently purchased a DVD-A (Porcupine Tree's "Deadwing") because it contains a few bonus tracks not available on the CD release. I'd like to be able to rip these to an aiff or other high quality file to transfer to a CD or iPod (sans 5.1 information, all I want is stereo).

Does Mac The Ripper accomplish what I'm looking for, or does another rip audio from a DVD-A? Thanks!

epimetheus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2005, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by epimetheus
Hi all,

Did a search on the forum and couldn't find anything on this subject...

Is there a way to rip the audio tracks from a DVD-A? I recently purchased a DVD-A (Porcupine Tree's "Deadwing") because it contains a few bonus tracks not available on the CD release. I'd like to be able to rip these to an aiff or other high quality file to transfer to a CD or iPod (sans 5.1 information, all I want is stereo).

Does Mac The Ripper accomplish what I'm looking for, or does another rip audio from a DVD-A? Thanks!

Ahh, the powers of google!

How to Rip DVD Audio to MP3, AAC or AIFF

macanon
Oct 26, 2005, 10:01 PM

Heh. Thanks for the post, I wondered this myself!

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2005, 10:12 AM

I'd just like to point something out here: you're not really ripping the clean DVD-Audio data when you do this. Let me explain:

The DVD-Audio format is different from DVD-Video. DVD-Audio is like a CD, but it holds a lot more music (obviously) and can be sampled at higher frequencies and bit-rates than a CD, allowing for very high quality sound.

Unfortunately, and unlike CDs, DVD-Audio is crippled by a content encryption system called CPPM. No free software developers have broken the encryption yet, and very few manufacturers have felt like paying the CPPM decryption fee, since CDs work well enough anyway. As a result, there are very few DVD-Audio players and no software for ripping DVD-Audio to your computer.

Therefore, almost all DVD-Audio discs that make it to market are hybrid discs. In addition to high-fidelity DVD-Audio data, they include a lower-quality DVD-video layer that uses lossy compression on the sound. (DVD-video obviously encodes both sound and moving pictures.) That way, you can listen to it on your DVD player if you don't have a DVD-Audio player.

The long and the short of it is that if you use Mac-the-ripper, you're ripping the lower-quality audio stream from the DVD-video layer instead of the high-quality stream from the DVD-audio layer. Ripping a regular compact disc would yield cleaner results. You can blame the media companies for making such an advanced technology practically useless.

Forum Links
Forum Rules