Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > external DVD drive

external DVD drive
egghead
Feb 24, 2006, 06:17 PM

Hi,

I'm looking for a cheap external DVD drive that I can flash to be region free. Does anybody know of a generic model, hopefully one carried by Staples, Office Depot, etc?

Thanks in advance,

Nike

macanon
Feb 28, 2006, 01:47 AM

I would suggest checking the videohelp site. They usually have good recs.

mountainash
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2006, 12:24 PM

get a cheap firewire case, and a pioneer (or sony or LG or Panasonic) drive. Pioneer has flashing tools for most models on the Mac, otherwise flash it in a PC.
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

Forum Links
Forum Rules