Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How do I stop Automator from reordering photos when renaming them?

How do I stop Automator from reordering photos when renaming them?
m i k e
Aug 26, 2007, 02:01 AM

I'm attempting to use Automator to rename picture files. I select "Make Sequential" and put the name in that I want. However, once everything is completed my pictures are not in the same order they were out of the camera. I like how my camera imports the photos in the order that I took them. Now when I look through my pictures my vacation is completely out of chronological order. How do can I set Automator so that this does not happen in the future?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 02:02 AM

Change the sorting in whatever application you're using to manage them.

m i k e  (op)
Aug 26, 2007, 02:06 AM

No, thats not what I mean. The pictures already had a confusing number order created by the the camera and I want to keep that. However, Automator creates a whole new order. So for example picture #74 from before could now be picture #5 and picture #12 could now be picture #134 and so on. This throws my vacation pictures out of order.

Curiosity
Senior User
Aug 26, 2007, 02:31 AM

Name the files so that the first part of the name is a number. For instance, the names could be likr 001-horse.jpg, 002-dog.jpg, 003-cat.jpg. I did that with my vacation images. They are always listed in the correct order that way.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 03:49 AM

Can't you still sort them by date, regardless of what they're called? I know iPhoto can, and the Finder can in icon or list view.

Does renaming in Automator result in a new creation date?

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2007, 08:43 AM

This action might help:
Complete Digital Photography � Photo Renaming Automator Actions v2

Or try PhotoToolCM:
PIXTURE STUDIO - Mac OS X Software
It will also batch rename based on exif info (such as creation date) and and do a lot of other cool stuff.

Forum Links
Forum Rules