Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > What file(s) contain my sent messages for Mail?

What file(s) contain my sent messages for Mail?
m i k e
Nov 25, 2007, 11:14 PM

I had a problem with Mail so ended up just deleting my ~/Library/Mail folder as well as ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist and replacing them with a backup I had made relatively recently. I am connected via POP3 so the remaining messages that I had received since the backup were downloaded from the mail server. However, I don't have my most recent sent messages. I'm assuming if I replace the current Sent Messages.mbox file with the one that is still in my Trash Can I should have my most recent sent messages back. Is there anything else I need to do or any other files I need to replace to make this happen. Thanks.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2007, 11:28 PM

If you have an .mbox file I'm assuming you are using Panther?

Yes, putting this mailbox back in place should work, but if not there are lots of mbox importers. mbox is a common mailbox format.

m i k e  (op)
Nov 25, 2007, 11:33 PM

Nope. Leopard (10.5.1).

Do I need to use a .mbox importer or can I just replace the file via Finder?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2007, 12:20 AM

Why are you sheepish about trying it? Just make a copy of your Mail folder before you start...

I'm not sure why your Sent Mailbox is an mbox file. Did you ever have Panther on that Mac?

Forum Links
Forum Rules