Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Johnny Lee, the Wii and the future of interactive computing

Johnny Lee, the Wii and the future of interactive computing
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2008, 09:33 AM

Johnny Lee's Wii-nnovations blow TED's collective mind - Joystiq

I remember when they introduced the Wiimote at TGS, i was blow away because to me it was a 3D pointing device (ie ... being a 3D programmer, it solved(or claimed to solve) the problem most of us had of converting 2D input(mouse) into a 3D world).

How i envy graduate student being able to use this device to essentially help shape the next generation of interactive computing, and one such individual who stands out is Johnny Lee. Check out the video posted above. What the corporations (Microsoft, etc) are charging hundreds if not thousands of dollars for, he has accomplished with a fraction.... what has he done you ask ?....

With a Wiimote he has demonstarated(approximate total cost USD$50):
-Interactive whiteboards
-Multi touch
-Head tracking (or a simplified version of stereoscopic imaging).

This is the sort of thing that interested me when it comes to technology.... and its strange to see my peers carry on about specs and the like... maybe its a lack of motivation or imagination or both. But i guess that video puts a whole lot of things into perspective.

I'll let your imagination run wild with its application to human-computer-interfaces and even gaming.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 13, 2008 at 09:52 AM. )

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2008, 03:47 PM

I could've have sworn that I had posted a thread earlier about this, but I guess not. Yeah, Johnny Lee's put out some awesome and very informative videos on how to modify the Wii. I hope he gets paid by some Silicon Valley firm soon to put some of his ideas into commercial action.

Forum Links
Forum Rules