Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" problems - getting better?

12" problems - getting better?
jwest
Jul 2, 2003, 12:23 AM

I've been dying to replace my 2001 ibook with a new 12" since they were released.

The amount of issues people had dissuaded me from buying one thus far. The release of the G5s was awesome and I'm excited to get one... probably next year (i'm voting dual 3ghz).

But my ibook is just not cutting it anymore for things I'd like to do with it. So the big question is:

Have the issues improved on the newer shipments aka: heat, warping, general failures.

It seems the number of issues has declined lately. Either way I'm waiting until the end of August.

thx

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2003, 07:11 AM

What problems, I've been popping into the PB forum as I will be in the market for a 12" shortly. The only issues I know of is the heat.

Regards
Mike

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2003, 07:40 AM

People are still claiming issues with heat. I'd say if you're worried, sit it out for the next revision.

entrox
Senior User
Jul 2, 2003, 09:04 AM

Problems? PROBLEMS? We don't need no stinkin' badgers...err..problems!

But seriously, I have absolutely no problems with my PowerBook. I'd say it's the finest piece of Apple hardware in my possession (while the Airport Extreme station is utter ****). I'm even typing this post on it while it sits on my lap without burning a hole through my .. thingies. I'd instantly buy it again if I had to.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2003, 09:44 AM

Excactly. No problems here. At all.

I am also not sure where you got the idea from that the 12" were prone to general failure? My 12" is the best Mac I've ever owned. And Macs, I've had a few... </Frankie>

bplatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2003, 10:11 AM

last saturday i went to the nearby apple store and got an *incredible* deal on a 12". all the employees at this apple store were wonderfully helpful. Now i'm not sure how much this is just bull, but the resident apple genius told me that the heat problems stemmed from some software issues and configurations and were improved in later software updates. He mentioned that perhaps some people that have tremendous heat problems may not have run software update. their display model had been on for 7 hours by the time i had gotten there. whereas it was quite warm, i was surprised after hearing the rumors on here of the raging inferno from hell which was awaiting me.

of course, this seems like too easy a fix. so take this with a grain of salt from a salesperson. however, when i got it home i was nervous about the heat. it did get *hotter* than my ibook, but not as hot as i was expecting. i've done a lot with it over the past few days, but i've never had to take it off my lap, and it's been 90-95 degrees here, so i haven't been wearing much.

the only problem i have with the pb is the latch seems to be slow to catch. my ibook would click shut instantly, but the pb needs a second before the latch will catch. annoying, but i have apple care, so we'll see what happens.

bbales
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2003, 10:14 AM

Love my 12-in PB. Heat not much of an issue to me, either, though it does get toasty when recharging, upon occasion. I'm going to try one of the fixes (besides going to 10.2.6, which I've already done) one of these days.

It's a great machine. I waited and waited, for the January announcements, having needed one for months before that. And I waited only until I could actually see one if a store before ordering a topped-out one (max ram, Superdrive, etc.)

If you need one now, buy one now.

elfmund
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2003, 10:25 AM

i must agree.. this 12" machine is the best mac i've owned, by far...

the heat "issue" is a non-issue for me... my brother has an iBook (800mhz combo) and it gets similarly hot...

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2003, 10:32 AM

I've not had any heat problems since 10.2.5 was released. The only time my PB gets a little too warm is when I'm doing disk intensive stuff while charging the battery. Otherwise it stays pretty cool.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

n_lim
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2003, 10:58 AM

Also must agree, the 12" is my most loved mac that I have owned. I do have a heat issue though, didn't when it first came out, but lately (past 3 months) it gets very hot. Of course I update every week so I know it isn't that. Maybe just the onset of summer perhaps? Either way, it isn't enough for me to dissuade anyone from buying it as I think that the 12" is really an incredible package of features in a diminutive (but not too much) size. I was worried that it would be too small coming from a 15" Ti, but now I wish that it was even smaller as the gains in portability outweigh the screen issue. I think you will find that many 12" owners love the thing dearly.
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2003, 11:04 AM

This is my sixth Mac in fourteen years, and I haven't loved any like it since my venerable olde Mac SE, back in 1989.

My ONLY gripe: All four rubber feet fell off, and Apple won't replace them. I'll be buying clear silicone nubbins to replace them for a few cents, as lack of clearance is scratching the bottom of this machine...

Otherwise: Works as advertised.

Hell, yeah.

-s*

kirvin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2003, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by bplatt:
last saturday i went to the nearby apple store and got an *incredible* deal on a 12". all the employees at this apple store were wonderfully helpful.
What do you mean when you say you got an incredible deal? Did they offer you a price lower than advertised? Or did they throw in additional items like accessories or something? Can you negotiate with sales accociates? I was under the impression that buying at Apple store was conveinient but would always be most expensive option, epecially when you consider you will be paying tax on your purchses there (6.5% here in Orlando).

Just curious.

bplatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2003, 11:57 AM

i realize this will disappoint many, but for one they utilized my educational discount at the store. our local reseller told us that the apple store will not do educational discounts, but they will, sometimes for more than what the website says. so i got the 12" for significantly less than what the website says.

HP is offering a free printer with any apple computer purchase, i got money off my applecare (thank god), they sold me a returned airport extreme card (buyer's remorse "what do you mean this won't work in my ibook!") for 40% off, 512MB of RAM for 120 dollars, and money off a digital camera (the canon s50) which i purchased at the same time.

they seemed to be able to play with the prices as they saw fit. i was supremely pleased with my purchase, and the service, and merely from their actions alone it would take something really really drastic for me not to be an apple user for life.

though the 12" doesn't have much of a wrist rest area and my carpel tunnel is KILLING ME.

as for taxes, i realize it doesn't equate to shipping, but in my state we're supposed to tack on 6% at the end of the year taxes for any out of state/internet purchases.

yeah...whatever. still.

urrl5201
Jul 2, 2003, 12:19 PM

I feel ya Spheric Harlot; my rear feet came off my 17". I stuck some larger clear dome like feet on it from my 120 GIG 7500 RPM firewire 800 external HD from transintl.com. The feet came packaged to stick on, which the HD doesn't need. Now my 17" is slightly hiked up in the back, kinda like a souped up classic Pontiac GTO. Probably helps dissipate heat too. I like the look. I feel mostly at falt for the feet comming off. In spite of previous posts warning me I tried to slide my 17" a bit on a glass table. The rubber/glass friction coefficient was too much. I wonder if (to stay on topic) the 12" feet are made the same way?

AshUK
Jul 2, 2003, 01:45 PM

I was unlucky enought to get a hot 12" PB, it gets sooo hot sometimes and the metal near the release button has warped, This PB is 2 weeks old so there are still problems with some 12" PB's, but I'm selling it tomorrow so I can wait for the next revision hopefully soon.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2003, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by AshUK:
I was unlucky enought to get a hot 12" PB, it gets sooo hot sometimes and the metal near the release button has warped, This PB is 2 weeks old so there are still problems with some 12" PB's, but I'm selling it tomorrow so I can wait for the next revision hopefully soon.
What do you mean you're selling it? Damaged goods? Why don't you just return it to Apple for a replacement?

n_lim
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2003, 02:52 PM

2 feet that fell off too,, i was keeping them in a safe place to reattach with super glue, but now I can't remember where they are!
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

slow moe
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2003, 03:06 PM

No problems here. The latch button could have been a little bigger though.

As far as heat, ehh, it's not that big a problem. I make sure that the hard drive is allowed to sleep when possible and the processor speed is set to reduced in the energy saver preferences, for both Power Adapter and Battery Power. I also try to limit the time I use it on a flat surface, like a table or desk, and if it feels like it's getting to warm, I'll put it to sleep for a few minutes and go take a break.
Lysdexics have more fnu.

slow moe
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2003, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by n_lim:
2 feet that fell off too,, i was keeping them in a safe place to reattach with super glue, but now I can't remember where they are!
You can find replacements at most any hardware store. They won't be the same exact kind that comes on the PB, but they'll do.
Lysdexics have more fnu.

n_lim
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2003, 05:20 PM

I know it sounds cheap, but I would rather not have to pay money for those little feet when apple should be stocking them up at applestores and giving them away. Besides the stock ones have that little alignment nub that I find so amusing

Seriously though, if one more falls off I will most likely go and buy some "aftermarket" feet. No scratches at all yet and no babying either so I don't feel too pushed to go and get some yet.
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

JasonBourne
Jul 5, 2003, 01:24 AM

I also got the 12PB since Feb. So far I don't have any problems. I bring it everywhere even though I won't use it. I'm not into computer profession but I always have my 12PB with me. Mostly I do it for iLife. Few days ago my 2 year old drop my bag with powerbook in it and everthings seems okey but one of the rubber feet is missing but I was able to find and reattached it. This is my third Mac. This my favorite mac and its always on my side together with my iSight.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2003, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by slow moe:
No problems here. The latch button could have been a little bigger though.

As far as heat, ehh, it's not that big a problem. I make sure that the hard drive is allowed to sleep when possible and the processor speed is set to reduced in the energy saver preferences, for both Power Adapter and Battery Power. I also try to limit the time I use it on a flat surface, like a table or desk, and if it feels like it's getting to warm, I'll put it to sleep for a few minutes and go take a break.
I don't think you need to worry about your Powerbook getting too warm. Mine is often left on 15 - 16 hours. Full processor performance. It does get warm, I can live with it because its absolutely silent. The fan hardly ever turns on. I love it Best Mac ever. I had a foot come off. So I pulled them all off and superglued them back on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules