Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Palm Foleo

Palm Foleo
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 30, 2007, 06:43 PM

What you guys think of it?

http://www.palm.com/us/products/mobi...o_announcement

At first for a second I thought it was cool until I saw the $600 price tag, 10 year old design and remembered this thing called "convergence".

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2007, 07:03 PM

For that much I'd want something that runs a real OS. And looks better.

mindwaves
May 30, 2007, 07:03 PM

Old, old idea. Palm is now officially dead.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
May 30, 2007, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Old, old idea. Palm is now officially dead.
Ya I was thinking the same. I never like the palm much even when I owned one because of the dated OS.

First they buy the BEOS to create OS6

Then they never shipped OS6

Then they buy Handspring to save their ass with the Treo

Then they went Windows CE

Then they sold the Palm OS

Then they buy it back

They don't update the PDA's at all in years.

The treo is still a big clunky Smartphone with a pathetic OS.

Then they counter the iPhone with not a convergence device at all but something extra to carry with you that doesn't fit in your pocket and isn't quite a laptop and isn't quite a handheld but costs close to what a full laptop does.

Sell your stocks everyone.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2007, 07:17 PM

What's amazing to me is that this thing is actually going to make it as far as the production stage. Can there be people that high up in a company that should know what's going on in the high tech world that actually believe this thing is going to sell? Apparently so, and they're going to get a rude awakening very soon. Strange.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
May 30, 2007, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
What's amazing to me is that this thing is actually going to make it as far as the production stage. Can there be people that high up in a company that should know what's going on in the high tech world that actually believe this thing is going to sell? Apparently so, and they're going to get a rude awakening very soon. Strange.
Right now all it really has going for it is instant on. In a year while most hard drives will have solid state and do the same.

But then who really shuts down their computers anyway?

Super Mario
May 30, 2007, 07:39 PM

The Psion 5 is still the benchmark device for palmtop ergonomics

( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 03:47 PM. )

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
May 30, 2007, 07:55 PM

I felt bad for them so I signed up with my email.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2007, 08:11 PM

Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Krypton
Mac Elite
May 30, 2007, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
The Psion 5 is still the benchmark device for palmtop ergonomics

Very true, it's a real shame Psion had to pull out of the mobile computing space, but then they never really followed up the series 5 with a worthy replacement.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2007, 09:41 PM

The only other options in the ultraportable (<3lb with 5+ hr battery) space are laptops over $2k. For business travellers who just need office, web, and email, I could see this doing well.

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
For that much I'd want something that runs a real OS. And looks better.
Linux is as real as they come. Perhaps you'd prefer a different window manager?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2007, 10:31 PM

I'm I the only one that had "cornholio" pop into his head when he read the thread title?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2007, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
I'm I the only one that had "cornholio" pop into his head when he read the thread title?
Heh heh, that was cool - you said "head".
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Super Mario
May 30, 2007, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Krypton View Post
Very true, it's a real shame Psion had to pull out of the mobile computing space, but then they never really followed up the series 5 with a worthy replacement.
We got Symbian out of it
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 03:47 PM. )

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 31, 2007, 12:28 AM

If this thing worked independently of a smartphone with complete functionality (which I'm not sure about at the moment, though it's possible) and was around $200-$300 (perhaps even $400, but not $600) then it might be a winner. I'd love to have a very light, portable writing machine, but not at $500 or $600.

But marketing it as some kind of extension to the smartphone without the full functionality of one doesn't make much sense to me.

DrMischievious
Baninated
May 31, 2007, 12:40 AM

I want this:

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 08:12 AM

the on screen app looks like DOS file navigation in wordperfect from the late 80s. hahaha.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2007, 08:22 AM

They're calling it a companion for your phone. Sorry guys, these days it's supposed to be part OF your phone.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2007, 08:52 AM

But just think how cool this could be in combination with the Microsoft Surface!

Seriously, what's up with Microsoft and Palm both releasing a crappy 'revolutionary' new piece of hardware almost simultaneously?

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
They're calling it a companion for your phone. Sorry guys, these days it's supposed to be part OF your phone.
More like it should be the phone itself.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2007, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
eriously, what's up with Microsoft and Palm both releasing a crappy 'revolutionary' new piece of hardware almost simultaneously?
They are probably trying to steal the iPhone's thunder. Palm tried to make something even more "revolutionary" than the iPhone and shat out the Foleo.

Microsoft wanted to make it look like they were the first to the market with a multi-touch product, so they unveiled vapourware called Surface.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
They are probably trying to steal the iPhone's thunder. Palm tried to make something even more "revolutionary" than the iPhone and shat out the Foleo.

Microsoft wanted to make it look like they were the first to the market with a multi-touch product, so they unveiled vapourware called Surface.
Ya I was thinking the same on both counts.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2007, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gamoe View Post
If this thing worked independently of a smartphone with complete functionality (which I'm not sure about at the moment, though it's possible) and was around $200-$300 (perhaps even $400, but not $600) then it might be a winner. I'd love to have a very light, portable writing machine, but not at $500 or $600.

But marketing it as some kind of extension to the smartphone without the full functionality of one doesn't make much sense to me.
I was thinking the same thing.

"Wow, it's a really tiny and pretty neat laptop"

The demo starts showing off sync with the phone.

"Okay, so? What else?"

Nothing.

"That's it? The damn thing is just a huge-ass front-end for a phone?"

There are external keyboards for smartphones, AFAIK, and if you REALLY need a larger screen to look at that Excel file somebody just mailed you, you are definitely the type to have a full-fledged office notebook/subnotebook along, anyway.

For the other 99% of potential customers, there is the iPhone and a bunch of other handhelds.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 02:28 PM

Ya I really don't get it even if it came out a few years ago. At the end of the day it is just a bigger screen, internet and full(ish) keyboard for road warriors.

But it is almost as big and almost as expensive as a normal laptop but can't do 1/8th as much.

Surely anyone who NEEDS all the above features will have a laptop in the first place if it is that important to them.

Honestly if it was $250 and smaller and lighter, better battery it would be sorta cool just for keeping in touch when traveling.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2007, 02:32 PM

I know its technically still May, but prepare for June to be the month of terrible product releases that try to steal the iPhone's thunder.

I remember when the iPhone was introduced, and Palm (among many others) stated something to the effect of "we're not worried. We have something in the works that will beat the iPhone." I guess this is it? Ouch.

MS's Surface has some neat possibilities, but I don't see the vision behind it. So they put Multi-touch into a table, made it's surface "aware" to other devices... then what? I could see this being used in very niche products, but nothing that will revolutionize anything.

Oh well, all these bad products just reassures me that I am a fanboy of the right company. I chose wisely.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2007, 04:02 PM

Is it just me or is this thing depressing to look at?

They may as well just give it a greyscale screen to finish it off.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2007, 12:14 AM

Yup. It's straight from the eighties. I was half-expecting it to interface with a brick "mobile" phone next to it.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2007, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Yup. It's straight from the eighties. I was half-expecting it to interface with a brick "mobile" phone next to it.
It is.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2007, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
But just think how cool this could be in combination with the Microsoft Surface!

Seriously, what's up with Microsoft and Palm both releasing a crappy 'revolutionary' new piece of hardware almost simultaneously?
I think microsoft surface looks awesome. I would LOVE to have that thing for my waiter and cashier at a restraunt... I hate the "I'll be your cashier when you're ready" crap; they always says that and then you sit there and wait for 20 minutes until they decide to come around again. Give me the surface and I'd be happy!

I also think it's pretty awesome the way it recognizes devices and things.

You may think that apple came up with the multi-touch thing but it's been around a while now and apple didn't "revolutionize" with it either. This is the first real main-stream product to use it for usefull applications for consumers. The iPhone might be nice but it is a phone (which I don't want) and it's only a couple inches big (which I would never want to view photos or movies on). So yeah, I'd say Microsoft is the winner with that.

Anyway, back on topic.... the Foleo is gay/retarded/crap. Why would I want something that REQUIRES me to carry around a companion phone just to use it? Not a whole lot of thinking went on with creating that device it seems.

But my wife loves her palm Z22, so I guess palm is all that sucky.

zro
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2007, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
I think microsoft surface looks awesome. I would LOVE to have that thing for my waiter and cashier at a restraunt... I hate the "I'll be your cashier when you're ready" crap; they always says that and then you sit there and wait for 20 minutes until they decide to come around again. Give me the surface and I'd be happy!
Tell them, "I'm ready now." Works like a charm.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2007, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
Tell them, "I'm ready now." Works like a charm.
Oh how I wish that were true.

And then after you give them the card they go back to their station and come back in ten minutes. I hate hate hate the newish way of doing that. I would take a normal cashier any day over the "convenience" of the waiter also being the cashier.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2007, 01:17 AM

It doesn't look that bad, if it was white it would like a mini MacBook (same hinge design).

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
I think a regular old touchscreen LCD monitor mounted to the wall next to your table or something with a credit card swiper would be superior. Certainly more cost-effective and fully capable of having an interface where you just touch the menu item you want to order it.

I also think it's pretty awesome the way it recognizes devices and things.
Yeah, but as has been mentioned in order for it to do that those things need to be tagged. Ideally in a restaurant scenario you'd want each item tagged by the actual dish or beverage. So a glass would be recognized as 'coke' rather than just 'glass'. But that would be ridiculous because then you'd either need special plates/glasses for each menu item or you'd need to be re-code the tags every time you serve something.

You may think that apple came up with the multi-touch thing but it's been around a while now and apple didn't "revolutionize" with it either. This is the first real main-stream product to use it for usefull applications for consumers. The iPhone might be nice but it is a phone (which I don't want) and it's only a couple inches big (which I would never want to view photos or movies on). So yeah, I'd say Microsoft is the winner with that.
I've been aware of this technology since I saw Jeff Han's demonstration at TED. And the Microsoft Surface isn't mainstream. It's a very niche product. The iPhone is much more mainstream, but still probably won't really be popular enough to take that label.

Anyway, back on topic.... the Foleo is gay/retarded/crap. Why would I want something that REQUIRES me to carry around a companion phone just to use it? Not a whole lot of thinking went on with creating that device it seems.

But my wife loves her palm Z22, so I guess palm is all that sucky.
Yeah, the Foleo is just a stupid idea. Palm has made some good products, but they seem to have lost their way (or their market has fallen out from under them).

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2007, 10:23 AM

So what is it supposed to do that a laptop can't? I don't get it.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2007, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain View Post
It doesn't look that bad, if it was white it would like a mini MacBook (same hinge design).
The look isn't really the issue.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Jun 1, 2007, 10:44 AM

So what is it supposed to do that a laptop can't? I don't get it.
It's what it doesn't do... see? see?

Think of it as a time-saving device, it could earn its keep within one month, where do I sign?!

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2007, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Is it just me or is this thing depressing to look at?

They may as well just give it a greyscale screen to finish it off.
ughh... black and white screen would be much more appropriate...

By December... this contraption will be long forgotten..
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2007, 12:50 PM

The only thing that would have made it slightly cool is if they gave it some bad assed design out of metal and sleek as hell.

As it stands now it literally is the same black/grey colour the original windows CE devices used in 1995.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2007, 01:17 PM

It reminds me of my PowerBook 5300cs actually except thinner. And not as cool.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2007, 03:19 PM

The LCD bezel is to thick... proportionally speaking..., regardless of its overall form factor

. .......BARF
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2007, 04:58 PM

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2007, 05:03 PM

So what is Foleo?
"This is a mobile companion. It's for e-mail. That's what we're selling it as."
So they are selling a big fat ugly email device. Wow. Best idea you've ever had, eh Jeff? Don't quit your day job. Oh wait...

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2007, 05:30 PM

Not to be mean, but Jeff Hawkins wears terribly dull shirts. His shirts are even grayer and more boring than Bill Gates'. So I'm not surprised that everything Palm makes is gray and dull.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2007, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
It is.
Touché.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Sparkletron
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2007, 10:30 PM

This looks like something I could use. Something small and light and solid state for Web, WP, and email on the go. Something with a real screen, a real keyboard, and lasts more than three hours. As for the design, I've seen Apple produce far worse. Big-azz bezels? That would be the iMac bar none. And I'll take gray over white any day. And the real reason not to buy this is simply because Apple is rumored to be working on a similar device.

-S

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2007, 10:40 AM

Well this is interesting timing.

Electronista | Palm recruits former iPod head for phones

1 week after the Foleo launch tanks and 3 weeks before the iPhone ships.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2007, 10:04 PM

I firmly believe that Palm is not as stupid as you're all making them out to be. I don't believe that this product will be a success, but I understand the reasoning behind it.

Most people (including Jeff Hawkins) feel that mobile computing is the future. Soon, everyone will be carrying around very powerful little mobile devices that have at least as much power as current personal computers.

Now, let's see: what's wrong with this picture? Do you really want to use the iPhone to type a long document? To watch a movie with your friends? To quickly sift through 20 new email messages?

Mobile devices are great. At times they'll be all we need, but at times we'll certainly need a larger screen and a keyboard (or some sort of rapid input tool). In other words, we'll need an I/O enhancer.

But you have a laptop, you say? Come on. Do you really want to be fumbling around with two separate computers with separate software, files, etc.? No. If you're mobile computer is your primary computer, you're going to want your I/O enhancer to simply reflect the state of the mobile device. Laptops don't do this. The Foleo isn't perfect in that regard, either (syncing is slow...), but Palm is positioning themselves to be able to improve their device as mobile computing becomes king.

This isn't an inferior laptop. It's meant to replace your laptop, but it's being released far before the average consumer feels a need for it (so that Palm can gain some market share). Yeah, it's missing much of the crap that your laptop has, but no one is going to need an optical drive in 5 years.

Palm's thought process: "Holy ****! We're dying, and a new market for mobile computer I/O enhancers is going to emerge! Perhaps if we create this market, we'll once again be the innovators."

Unfortunetely for Palm, they'll probably go under before Foleo has a prayer. They've released it too soon in an effort to save the company, but it'll backfire. It doesn't help that the device looks like crap, as you've mentioned. Furthermore, they are not the right company to be creating this market.

Take a look at Apple: the iPhone uses OS X, so imagine how easy and seamless it would be for them to create an I/O enhancer for the iPhone! "Re-GUI'ing" the iPhone would be a seamless process for Apple, and one has to wonder if that thought crossed their minds when they made the decision to use OS X within the device. As for the Foleo, turning phone applications into Linux applications is not exactly straightforward or automatic in any way.

In conclusion, Palm is screwed, but they're not that dumb .

Disclaimer: I might be completely wrong .
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2007, 12:55 AM

Umm, the only reason Palm feels the needs to "re-GUI," as you put it, is the awful, early 90s GUI that Palm OS still uses today. Yay...let's just add this accessory that makes everything big. There. That fixes it.

Palm is going down in flames with this announcement.

Oh, did I mention that Palm's HotSync "technology" is still as slow and even more complicated for users today than it was back with the original Palm Pilots. How is that even possible? Now they add Foleo into the mix using that "technology." I will feel sorry for the poor saps that blow their money on this. It's a fracking anachronism.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

freudling
Banned
Jun 5, 2007, 12:50 PM

Waste of time the Foleo.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Waste of time the Foleo.
Right are you.

Forum Links