Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Retro Computing a go go

Retro Computing a go go
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2010, 03:00 PM

So I spent today (fathers day) at the vintage computer fair, held at the UK's Museum of computing, which itself is in the grounds of Bletchley Park, home of WW2 code breaking.

This means that for an all in one day I got to see loads of people doing ace work keeping a variety of Sinclair products, Commodores, Amigas etc going as well as the museums exhibits of computers including mainframes, supercomputers and other stuff, plus Bletchley Park's restored Colossus Enigma cracking computer. All in all an ace day.

Highlights:
Colossus. Built in 1942, rebuilt be engineers in the 90's with only two photographs and an audio description by the inventor of how it worked. Brilliant. Cracks codes at the same speed as a modern Intel laptop.
Genius geek who had networked five Sinclair spectrums together and added a MicroVax server as well as getting all the Spectrums on line AND writing a twitter client for the Spectrum. Which I managed to tweet from. TCP stack etc written into 4K of code.
Cray YP-M super computer with giant red on off button. Vital for a machine that looks like it will plot to take over the world every time its switched on!

Splendid day all round.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2010, 05:21 PM

Sinclair Spectrum with twitter client

Colossus

My first computer

Lisa

Launch all missiles

WITCH

I do computers me!

Computer in a cardboard box

fun-kay

FAIL

Ground Zero
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

downinflames68
Baninated
Jun 21, 2010, 12:22 AM

pix plz k thx

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2010, 12:48 AM

My first computer was a Sinclair ZX81. I was 12. Still have it, but I think I fried it a long time ago using the wrong power adapter. I also have a Timex-Sinclair 2068. Interestingly, I didn't buy my next computer until a G3 Power Mac in 1998.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2010, 03:01 AM

Why post two threads on this subject?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

reader50
Administrator
Jun 21, 2010, 04:18 AM

Placing the text in one thread, and the pictures in the other is good for finger exercise.

Threads combined.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2010, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Placing the text in one thread, and the pictures in the other is good for finger exercise.

Threads combined.
For whose fingers? The poster's or yours?

Oh, and speaking of retrocomputing... This is where I'll be going again this year. I've been attending KansasFest (or KFest as it's affectionately called) for going on five years this year.

Forum Links
Forum Rules