Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ti's in the Movies. - A List

Ti's in the Movies. - A List
thirsty
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2002, 09:02 AM

After seeing the movie "Showtime" and seeing the Ti Powerbook Ad playing on a TV running in the background, during a scene, Iam trying to think of all the other movies & TV Series that I have seen the Ti in.
I can only think of a few, i know there's more?
Does anyone else remember them.

Showtime
Kate & Leopold ?
Someone like You ( I think or was it Just the 22" Cinema Display)
Just Shoot Me (TV)
if you can't be part of the solution don't be part of the problem!!!!

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2002, 01:19 AM

Just Shoot Me...seen multiple Ti's on that show. Sinefeld always had a Mac on his show. I always love it when I see them on Movies and TV.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2002, 01:29 AM

The TV show Dark Angel displays a lot of macs.
Logan has a TiBook along with a cube and a 22" display.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Camera God
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2002, 01:35 AM

Well, I can't think of any other shows or movies, but the Ti is on Mamiya's homepage. (Mamiya is a leading medium format camera manufacturer) It is sitting right next to their latest pro camera with a digital back on it.

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2002, 01:35 AM

Just Shoot Me...seen multiple Ti's on that show. Sinefeld always had a Mac on his show. I always love it when I see them on Movies and TV.

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2002, 01:44 AM

Lots of movies and TV shows do have Macs. In addition to the ones you've mentioned, Home Improvement had several visible Macs (Powerbooks, Performas, and Duos) and our best local Top 40 radio station Y-100 (same as Z-100 in New York) seems to be powered by and use a bunch of iBooks and iMacs (saw them on TV).

A bunch of FOX channel shows use Macs. The TV show VIP (with Pam Anderson) has tons of Powerbooks and Apple flat panels all over the place. I've also seen Macs on the Simpsons on several occasions (they use iMacs on the show and when they show computer screens, the familiar menu bar and trash can icons are unmistakable). King of the Hill also features an iMac (the wife, Peg, bought a blueberry one). Maybe FOX likes Macs themselves?

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2002, 01:46 AM

Sorry for all the non-PowerBook references. Just got carried away thinking of places! Keep the Ti sightings coming!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2002, 02:24 AM

Oh forgot 2 more mac friendly shows:

24 - Jack Palmer (Kiefer Sutherland) has a Ti in his office.

And the baddest Ti of all is owned by Lex Luther on the show Smallville.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

RWoelk
Senior User
Apr 1, 2002, 02:39 AM

A long extended shot of a lovely Ti was seen on this weeks episode of HBO's "Six Feet Under." I love the series, but I could do with a little less kissing between the gay male characters. Naw, I ain't homophobic or have anything against our gay populous. I just find those extended kiss scenes between males a little tough to watch at times.

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: RWoelk ]

Camera God
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2002, 03:53 AM

I just remmbered one: there was a powerbook in the movie Traffic. It was being used by one of the guys doing drugs. Maybe that is where the colored mac idea came from.

OzTiBook
Apr 1, 2002, 04:26 AM

Its not a movie or TV series, but here in Australia there's an ad running for Kellog's K-Time bars, which prominently features a closed TiBook.

Did anybody ever see the show Snoops? Talk about Studio-display overload!!

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2002, 04:57 AM

I was doing some late-night work, listening to Linkin Park when I remembered seeing them on an MTV clip using a TiBook in a tour bus. Via VH-1, I found that Papa Roach also uses Macs and TiBooks. In case you don't know them, they're both rock groups.[/LIST]

Jan Van Boghout
Apr 1, 2002, 05:56 AM

In the TV show Roswell Alex used a TiBook. Liz and Maria use an iBook.

And a while ago there was a commercial for Kinder Surprise (chocolate eggs with a surprise in them) with a kid jumping into a 22" Cinema Display to play some game on the internet

thirsty  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2002, 06:31 AM

So now we have for the Ti Powerbook -

- Television -
Just Shoot me
Dark Angel
VIP
Smallville
Six Feet Under
Roswell
Alias
Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Angel

- Cinema -
Showtime
Kate & Leopold
Traffic

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: thirsty ]

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: thirsty ]
if you can't be part of the solution don't be part of the problem!!!!

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2002, 06:55 AM

ugh,... not totally related, but I always see PC's with OS 9 on them

The only channel I know that ALWAYS uses macs in their ads, etc, is HGTV, you see imacs and tibooks, and both kinds of ibooks, etc, in their ads, etc. I remember one commercial where they actually had a thing about going to hgtv.com, and the menus used the same clicking sounds as the platinum theme in os 9

On Designing for the Sexes Michael Payne uses a G4 cube with 15" lcd, I recall seeing a remodeling show today where of course, the room they had the floorplans for the house in, had 2 desks like mine and quicksilvers on each (cinema displays included)

Heck, Enterprise is littered with macs, we just don't actually see the machines, though I might be wrong on that. All the screens as we know are hooked up to cubes.

I saw a part of dexters lab where this college dude was using a snow imac (if that counts), and even on the simpsons homer used an apple IIe or such when he decided to get on disability for weighing 300lbs or so. (remember the bird that kept hitting the Y key?)

I've seen the tibook on so many websites and tv shows I can't even remember which ones anymore.

If you're wondering about the weird assortment of shows, don't ask, I don't watch TV much but my mom and brother do, and that's what they watch (and I always get stuck watching)
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

agentz
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2002, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Stogieman:
<STRONG>Oh forgot 2 more mac friendly shows:

24 - Jack Palmer (Kiefer Sutherland) has a Ti in his office. </STRONG>
You mean Jack Bauer

Others that I can think of....
  • The last series of Absolutely Fabulous (they had Cubes, G4s, iMacs and the odd P'Book)
    The French And Saunders thing that was on the other night (had a TiBook shown running Windows!)
    And well duh! Independance Day

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: agentz ]
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2002, 05:19 PM

-

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: Sharky K. ]

kevin11599
Apr 1, 2002, 05:51 PM

My little sister was watching this show "Making the band" on MTV last week and they were recording in a studio(the "band") and there was a Tibook on the table by the mixing board and a cinema display and a tower in the corner.
-Kevin

-iBook/800MHz/640MB/40GB/COMBO

kevin11599
Apr 1, 2002, 10:33 PM

Hey,
YET ANOTHER Tibook. . . "Read World/Road Rules Battle of the Seasons", just now one of the "teams" has a Tibook, they were using airport (saw the basestation)
-Kevin

-iBook/800MHz/640MB/40GB/COMBO

OzTiBook
Apr 1, 2002, 11:26 PM

Watching Alias last night, I noticed Sydney typing on a TiBook, seen from behind, but as they often do the Apple was covered... this time with something matching the Ti's color.

Also, dont forget Survivor, when they had the indigo iMac in the outback.

Matt Gauger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2002, 11:34 PM

Doesn't really count, but I have to say that if Hollywood is going to use a GUI, they always use a Mac look over a Windows one, even if its a PC they show.

Cheers,
~damon

Perfect Radio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2002, 11:17 PM

The supermachine owned by the girl of Hackers, interpreted by Angelina Jolie, was a PowerBook, don't know what reference. I just know that it was so funny compared with a TiBook.

---&gt;&gt;&gt;

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2002, 11:34 PM

Judging Amy had a Ti book in last weeks ep

michaelb
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2002, 01:09 AM

It's about time Carrie got a Ti-book on Sex and the City don't you think?

(It may be the people I talk to but it's amazing how much Macs on TV
are noticed. People say it's moronic to go spotting them, but there's no doubt the subliminal marketing makes good sense for Apple.)

Sirius Black
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2002, 05:04 AM

Hi,

I think numerous staffers in "The West Wing" use TiBook. Also I think I saw TiBooks in "The Practice"

Sirius

Cucumber Jones
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2002, 11:55 PM

Don't know about recently, but years ago on Felicity, Noel wouldn't shut up once he started talkin' Mac

Also not a Ti, but the comments about hollywood's bi-OS (Bi-Xual?) fixation, Office Space came to mind, in the scene when Peter is trying to shut down his computer -- it's a mac, no a pc, no a mac! Other things in that movie, like the "copy" command of win 3.1 on a mac.

Also, just about any miramax movie has macs in it. Even those victorian pieces I'm sure.

-Cuke

buyanyware
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2002, 12:09 AM

X-Files has seen a few macs. I can't remember the episode or season, but I recall seeing a cube lying on it's side.
"It's one thing when his head shakes when he's sitting down. When his head shakes when he's standing up, you know he's angry." -- Legislator speaking about Gov. Ventura of Minnesota

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2002, 12:11 AM

Anyone see Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back? When Jay and Bob go to Holden's pad, the place is littered with Apple stuff. Also, the monitor at Mooby's is clearly an Apple display. I thought that was cool, that's why I made this my TiBook's background :

--J

VValdo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2002, 08:57 PM

Now how did you make a snapshot of a DVD? Looks like someone violated the DMCA...

W

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2002, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by VValdo:
<STRONG>Now how did you make a snapshot of a DVD? Looks like someone violated the DMCA...

W</STRONG>
If cornered, that was an independently created image based on the movie.

But if you wanted to do it by breaking the DMCA, you could use OSEx to grab the chapter in question, MacMPEG2 decoder to turn it into composite video, then Quicktime to export the frame you want as a pic. Then blur it a few times in Photoshop to make it look nice after blowing it up to 1152 pixels wide. Simple...but not something I would dream of doing.

--J

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2002, 04:12 AM

Meh. I think it's extremely lame how many TV shows and movies make it a point to cover up the Apple logo. I've seen way too many Lombard/Pismo PowerBooks with completely black top cases. Isn't the Apple logo stylish enough?

Tom Anderson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2002, 12:35 PM

I saw a G4 tower on Law & Order SUV last night on USA. Wasn't exactly thrilled they associated it with a pedophile though.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2002, 07:20 AM

Originally posted by RWoelk:
<STRONG>A long extended shot of a lovely Ti was seen on this weeks episode of HBO's "Six Feet Under." I love the series, but I could do with a little less kissing between the gay male characters. Naw, I ain't homophobic or have anything against our gay populous. I just find those extended kiss scenes between males a little tough to watch at times.

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: RWoelk ]</STRONG>
Oh, c'mon - us fags put up with you breeders kissing and rewting every time I look on television - just try and bear with it.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2002, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by qnxde:
<STRONG>

Oh, c'mon - us fags put up with you breeders kissing and rewting every time I look on television - just try and bear with it.</STRONG>

That's the funniest thing I've heard today. Mostly because I imagined ca$h reading it and his head exploding.

Sorry, I'll try to keep my hetero PDAs to a minimum

Camera God
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2002, 04:22 PM

I know its not a Ti, but the guy in One Hour Photo has a cube and a 22" Cinema display....pretty sweet system if you ask me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules