Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > DVD drive region code changes limited

DVD drive region code changes limited
Brucesquid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2004, 05:20 PM

So I want to convert some European DVDs to NTSC. When I insert the disc I get a message stating I must change the drive�s region code. OK.

What disturbs me is a message saying I can only change the code 4 more times � so I am screwed if I want to convert dvds on a regular basis?

Does anyone know a hack or other way to defeat this limitation? Or am I stuck buying an extra drive for each region code I need to use

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2004, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by Brucesquid:
What disturbs me is a message saying I can only change the code 4 more times � so I am screwed if I want to convert dvds on a regular basis?
Yes.
Originally posted by Brucesquid:
Does anyone know a hack or other way to defeat this limitation? Or am I stuck buying an extra drive for each region code I need to use
The region is coded into the firmware of the drive, so you need a drive that a) is firmware-flashable, and b) has been hacked for region-free firmware.

search these forums (most likely the "Peripherals" forum) for "region free" or some such set of words.

There is region-free firmware available for nearly all of Apple's OEM drives.

If you're using a Powerbook with a Superdrive, search in the Powerbook forum. I know it's been discussed extensively there.

-s*

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2004, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
There is region-free firmware available for nearly all of Apple's OEM drives.
The iBook G4's Matsushita CW-8123 is one notable exception. I've been waiting for that one for quite a while.

Check out this site to see if there is one available for your drive.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 12, 2004, 12:16 AM

FYI, this is not an OS limitation in any way. It's part of the DVD drive's firmware, and the region-free firmware is really the only way around it.

tooki

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2004, 01:03 AM

You can still watch DVDs of any region in VLC, regardless of what your drive firmware is set to.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2004, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
You can still watch DVDs of any region in VLC, regardless of what your drive firmware is set to.
Yup, just make sure you tell the system to not open DVD Player when you put in a DVD, in System Preferences. Otherwise you'll have to force quit DVD Player everytime you want to play a DVD and not change the region of your drive. (DVD Player likes to spit out the DVD when you say you don't want to change the region.)
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Forum Links
Forum Rules