Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone came from a 15 PB to a 13 MB?

Anyone came from a 15 PB to a 13 MB?
cql
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 06:28 PM

When i purchased my 15 AL PB, i really wanted a 12 PB...but i could not live with the small (low res) and screen quality. I also really like the smaller size of the MB compared to my PB. My question to all of you who have owned a 15 PB and now have a 13 MB.....how do you feel about the 13 vs 15 screen size?

geltab
May 18, 2006, 09:50 PM

Hey Dude, I have the 15" 1.67 (1st gen with the lower rez display) and can say the 13.3 is no loss of screen real estate. If you have the second gen 1.67 with the higher rez, then you will miss it.
The resolution on the 13.3 is 40 pixels less than my current powerbook due to the built in isight.

The screen is sooooo much brighter it isn't funny. I feel like I have been working in the dark ages.

Voch
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 10:57 PM

Me! I came from a TiBook 667/DVI (15.2" 1280x854) to the MacBook (13.3" 1280x800). The MacBook screen has better contrast and brightness but a smaller viewing angle. I'm really happy with the MacBook.

pbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2006, 06:33 PM

I went from a TiBook 1GHz/1GB/60GHD to a MacBook 1.83GHz/2GB/60GHD. The MacBook's keyboard has a more solid feel, the display is much brighter and has richer color, and the battery life seems superior. Needless to say the MacBook is significantly faster than the TiBook. However, I do notice the dimesion of the smaller screen especially while watching movies. Also, there's a slight and sporatic whine that can only be heard in very quiet environments. Overall, I'm very happy with the MacBook.
PB G4/1g/1G/60G/SD

macwayne
Forum Regular
May 19, 2006, 10:09 PM

I'm coming from a first gen 15in. Aluminium Powerbook and just purchased the 2Ghz middle-range Macbook. Though I thought I would be bothered by the smaller screen, it actually doesn't seem to be that much of a size difference to me! I guess the widescreen aspect optically suggests a bigger size than it is. The increased pixel resolution gives it almost the same real estate. My ALbook is 1280x768 compared to the 1280x800. The pixels are a little more on the Macbook. The glare really isn't an issue with me, as I use it mostly at home and not outside. Even though I love the white one, it was an impulse buy. I ordered the black model from Amazon a couple of days ago so this one is going back tomorrow to the Apple store where I bought it from. With the $100 rebate and no taxes, that is really a great deal!! Just can't wait for it to come.

fesdds
May 19, 2006, 10:59 PM

Compared to older lower resolution the macbook is way better. About the same screen real estate, but much b righter screen and I like the size.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2006, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by macwayne
My ALbook is 1280x768 compared to the 1280x800. The pixels are a little more on the Macbook.
Your AlBook is 1280x854.

You are LOSING 54 pixels vertically.

amazing
Professional Poster
May 20, 2006, 11:26 AM

Going from a Ti to a 12" PB, I predict that the main thing you'll miss is a wider viewing angle. You're always going to be adjusting the vertical orientation of the display, pushing the screen up and down to see something better. If you frequently work with other people, you're always going to be swinging the laptop from side to side to show them what you're working on.

If you work in a high glare environment, with bright lights behind you (eg sitting in a chair with a window right behind you) you'll have move furniture around.

Possibility of increased eye fatigue.

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
May 20, 2006, 05:07 PM

I made the switch from a 15 inch MBP to the macbook 2 days ago and I don't regret it. For one, I'm not a gamer so the discreet video card on the MBP wasn't doing anything for me. All in all I ended up getting a faster machine since I moved form a 1.8 Core duo to a 2 Core. The loss of screen size hasn't bothered me at all and the I love the glossy screen. I'm typing this outside by the pool now and I can see the screen just find. The extra contrast form the glass actually makes it easier to read black on white text in the sunlight compared to my 15 MBP.

If anybody does want to buy a 1 1/2 month old 15 inch , let me know!
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

Voch
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 06:02 PM

I agree with amazing's assessment. I think the contrast on the MacBook is better than my Ti, though. And if you collarborate with others invest in a CoolPad Traveller...I use mine to swing my display to my coworker when we're coding together.

hldan
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by macwayne
Even though I love the white one, it was an impulse buy. I ordered the black model from Amazon a couple of days ago so this one is going back tomorrow to the Apple store where I bought it from. With the $100 rebate and no taxes, that is really a great deal!! Just can't wait for it to come.
You think you are getting a good deal from Amazon? Well only if you didn't open the MacBook you bought from the Apple store. If you opened it then you will be paying a 10% restocking fee which averages to $130.00 if you bought the mid model for $1299.00. There goes your saved tax and $100.00 rebate.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Forum Links
Forum Rules