Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My Blacbook's finish is flaking off

My Blacbook's finish is flaking off
rcl1221
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 03:06 AM

I am having the flaking issue with my black macbook. Above the top edge of the screen, at the lip of the lid. It looks like there is a clear, semi-translucent coating over black plastic. The coating is flaking off. And I have been treating the computer with kid gloves.

Not major, but I’d be interested in trying to get the computer replaced. Anybody have any idea on how I should go about doing this? Could really appreciate some good advice. It's barely noticable, and I'm almost positive that the rep at the store is "not going to be able to see it".

http://web.mac.com/ck420/iWeb/Site/macbook.html

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2006, 03:12 AM

I think per Apple Support, the laptop has to go back to where it was purchased from.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2006, 03:27 AM

Repaired... possible.. replaced... probably not. You MIGHT be able to get it replaced if you JUST bought it from an APPLE STORE... but if you got it anywhere else, you'll get the "go tell it to Apple" response. Even still, at an Apple store, they would view that as cosmetic. Being that the cosmetic doesn't effect the performance of the computer, they may consider it within spec.

jere_69
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 07:48 AM

I definitely can see it. I would at least try and return it.

masugu
Senior User
Jun 2, 2006, 10:27 AM

Try now...document it if they do not take it...and when it gets worse (which I bet it will) go back again. Sorry this is happening...I really want a BlacBook, but not if it is going to deteriorate this quickly. I have a PB Ti - the painted case - but it still looks new. Guess I babied it.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2006, 10:43 AM

Try to exchange it immediately.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2006, 11:16 AM

BlacBook flaking seems to be more of a paranoia-inducing problem than the bird flu.

Take that 'Book back!

SLiMeX
Senior User
Jun 2, 2006, 12:18 PM

I believe this is the second cae of this happening, besides the other thread in this forum.

Also - I dont know how many other people baby thier MacBook like me, but I take care of this thing, and I was curious if these flaking problems could be the result of mishandling.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

rcl1221  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 04:50 PM

Trust me. I babied the thing.

I noticed the flaking about two days after I got the computer. I'll let you know how trying to exchange the thing goes.

snoopy199
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2006, 05:34 PM

Bummer man, I suppose those initial reports are in fact true. they were quickly and resoundly decried as propaganda. While a few reports don't make the issue a major design error, it is discouraging nonetheless, especially for those black macbook owners

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 2, 2006, 05:41 PM

Well, I think the real question is, is this a problem that affects all black MacBooks or is it an isolated manufacturing defect? My hunch is that it's the latter, or else we would have been hearing a lot more about this.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2006, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
Well, I think the real question is, is this a problem that affects all black MacBooks or is it an isolated manufacturing defect? My hunch is that it's the latter, or else we would have been hearing a lot more about this.
Just to be fair the same thing was said when reports of the Nano scratching easily came out.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2006, 05:45 PM

grr

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2006, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by SLiMeX
I believe this is the second cae of this happening, besides the other thread in this forum.

Also - I dont know how many other people baby thier MacBook like me, but I take care of this thing, and I was curious if these flaking problems could be the result of mishandling.
I treat mine like crap. No really, I purposely get iBooks (Now MacBooks) and abuse them to death. They usually only last me a year before they just up and fall apart on me. I have not noticed any flaking on mine however. Like I said in a previous thread, I thought it was flaking, but I took a damp cloth and rubbed it away. Turns out it was just something that had scrapped up on it.

masugu
Senior User
Jun 2, 2006, 06:07 PM

Hmm....I am sure some 3rd party mfg will soon make a clear lucite case for BlacBooks that will add 1/4 of an inch to the notebook - but protect from scratches. They'll make a mint off freaked out BlacBook owners!!!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 2, 2006, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
Just to be fair the same thing was said when reports of the Nano scratching easily came out.
Well, I still think the nano scratching was overblown.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2006, 10:37 PM

I saw the same issue on a display BlackBook at the Apple Store Cincinnati. Go see for yourself ... when you enter the store go left and walk all the way to the wall where there are 2 MacBooks and a 2 MacBook Pros. The black one is losing paint in the same place this dude's book is. Looks kind of harmless right now, but if it's like this after a week or so ... what will it look like after six-months?
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

rcl1221  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 10:53 PM

Went to the Santa Monica Apple Store where I bought the computer and they replaced it right away.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2006, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by chrisutley
I saw the same issue on a display BlackBook at the Apple Store Cincinnati. Go see for yourself ... when you enter the store go left and walk all the way to the wall where there are 2 MacBooks and a 2 MacBook Pros. The black one is losing paint in the same place this dude's book is. Looks kind of harmless right now, but if it's like this after a week or so ... what will it look like after six-months?
I noticed this 'defects' too while checking out those black MacBooks at the local Apple Store.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2006, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
Well, I still think the nano scratching was overblown.
Do you have one? I thought the same until I got mine.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2006, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by mac off
Went to the Santa Monica Apple Store where I bought the computer and they replaced it right away.
I hate to say it, but don't you think it will happen again? Just seems like all BlackBooks will have this issue, not just some.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 3, 2006, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Do you have one? I thought the same until I got mine.
I had one that I sold to my sister. It's still pretty much in pristine condition.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2006, 02:04 AM

I haven't managed to get a sleeve for my BlackBook yet. And it still looks like new. No paint issues at all.

gjbeprise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2006, 02:46 AM

Ahhh, the joys of owning a fully-loaded white MacBook

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
I haven't managed to get a sleeve for my BlackBook yet. And it still looks like new. No paint issues at all.
Ditto.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

macwayne
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2006, 08:32 AM

I've got a Blackmacbook and haven't had a problem at all with mine! No paint chipping, whining or mooing sounds...I love it!
It could possibly be a bad batch that came off the assembly line?

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by chrisutley
I hate to say it, but don't you think it will happen again? Just seems like all BlackBooks will have this issue, not just some.
If all BlackBooks have this issue, surely a few of the many other BlackBook owners on this forum would have notice it by now. And surely at least one would have mentioned it. I think it's entirely plausible that only some BlackBooks will ever get it.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 10:20 AM

Because I don't care about what my laptop looks like more or less, yes I like the color but if it looks beat up I could give a care in the world, I started trying to scratch my own notebook. I think a lot of this stuff is nonsense.

No, i'm not talking anything too hard to it. But I've rubbed it along the side of my desk, dug at it with my finger nail. Things that are unavoidably going to happen anyway. The finish is fine, it's black. A few times it appeared white, then I realized it was just pieces of my skin that got ripped off my hand by the incredibly sharp edge. I took a damp cloth and wiped them away. They weren't even noticiable unless I was trying to see it anyway. I'm really interested to know what on earth people are doing to cause flaking. Just the other day I typed with my watch on and my wrist rubbing against the case, even then, no flaking. Perhaps one day mine will flake the white monster others are experiencing.

snoopy199
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
If all BlackBooks have this issue, surely a few of the many other BlackBook owners on this forum would have notice it by now. And surely at least one would have mentioned it. I think it's entirely plausible that only some BlackBooks will ever get it.
For the moment I don't think this is an epidemic but I do think its too early to pronounce that this is not a wide spread issue (or not). The MBs are so new, its too early to tell how durable the finish truly is. Remember how long it took for the Ti powerbooks to start having paint issues. A small number people had a problem early on, but for the majority it took a few months before their finish flacked off.

uicandrew
Senior User
Jun 3, 2006, 10:27 AM

besides the whole "it's about principles" thing, could taking a black permanent marker and "touching it up" work? or would it rub off immediately?

i mean, maybe in a week or two, apple will admit design defect (ie - ipod nano screen breakage), but if that doesn't happen, is a black marker just as good?

i mean, many people shelled out money for ti paint but now this is black.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by darth-vader000
For the moment I don't think this is an epidemic but I do think its too early to pronounce that this is not a wide spread issue (or not). The MBs are so new, its too early to tell how durable the finish truly is. Remember how long it took for the Ti powerbooks to start having paint issues. A small number people had a problem early on, but for the majority it took a few months before their finish flacked off.
I know, but I wasn't pronouncing that it's not widespread, just saying it's also too early to announce that it is, which it seemed to me chrisutley was doing. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on whether this is a problem with all or a few MacBooks (I think you agree here).

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2006, 11:49 AM

My black one has been back and forth to work everyday with me. I don't have a case/bag for it yet. Rain or shine it goes, and I carry it around everywhere. It looks great. I still think it's the best looking notebook aesthetics wise.

masugu
Senior User
Jun 3, 2006, 11:55 AM

Funny....I was so worried about my Ti Book. It never laked or chipped at all. The Fans in the 1GHz versions were suppoed to sound like an aircraft carrier as well...not mine. Maybe I got lucky. Maybe I will get my Blacbook today Dammit ;-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules