Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Need an iPod friendly car stereo.

Need an iPod friendly car stereo.
JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2007, 12:55 AM

So for the past few years I've been listening to my iPod through my car stereo using a good old cassette adapter. It seems like every year when it gets cold my current adapter decides to break or get funky. This year is no different. There's a lot of static at high volumes, and isn't really usable. So now I'm using my FM transmitter, and frankly, I'm not happy.

I really want to get a new stereo for my car that plays better with my iPod. I could get one with an 1/8" plug, but I really want to look into something that can actually control my 'Pod, and connects via the dock port. I'm probably just being anal about it, but I feel that I want as little digital-to-analog conversion as I can. It's always annoyed me that as good as my iPod can sound, it was never actually better than a cassette tape.

So does anyone out there have an iPod-ready car stereo system? What kind? How does it work? Does it work well?

Thanks in advance.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2007, 01:44 PM

I just got the Pioneer AVIC-D3. It's a double-DIN navigation unit with satellite radio and iPod integration. It's less than a grand, making it one of the most affordable nav units out there. I know iPod connections are your focus, so maybe this is overkill for you.

Here's a look at the D3's iPod interface.

Would I recommend this unit to a friend? No... I'm just showing you what I have. The nav features SUCK compared even to my < $300 Garmin unit. The iPod integration is nice, but a dealbreaker problem is that the text in scrolling lists (of playlists, songs or artists) disappear while scrolling. You have to sort of guess where to stop, see where you are in the list, then scroll some more.

This unit looks factory in my vehicle's interior and the backlighting (on both hard buttons and on-screen interface) can be customized to 100% match your vehicle. This is a good-looking unit. It's just that it's very mediocre functionality-wise.

There's a lot of stuff out there if you wanna spend. I'm just not the kind of guy who can justify two or three grand for car audio.

Good luck and let us know what you're looking at... And what you end up with.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

macwayne
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2007, 07:23 PM

Actually if you get a deck with a 1/8" auxiliary audio input plug, the sound is fantastic!
You just have to get used to navigating with the ipod in your hand while driving.
But if you got one where the navigational interface is in the deck, you would still have
to momentarily take your eyes off the road just the same to see it. I have a Pansonic CQ-C1333U
that set me back $120 installed cheap at Circuit City. You can spend alot of money on more
high-end integrated systems, but I don't think it's worth it. I even never use the CD player
in the deck because the sound is so much better.
Good luck with whatever you decide though.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2007, 09:45 PM

Yeah, I got a sony stereo with a 1/8" jack installed at Circuit City last year for about that same price and the sound is fantastic. Much better than the cd player, actually. I feel your pain with the cassette adapter, man. At least you're keepin' it real!

Forum Links
Forum Rules