Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Basic TV Tuner for G5?

Basic TV Tuner for G5?
JFischel
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2006, 11:36 AM

All,

I have a Dual G5 1.8 and I'm looking for basic TV tuner capabilties from my cable. I don't need any TiVo like abilities. Rather, I just want to be able to pop up a window on the screen to catch the news while I'm remoting into work or something like that. Ok, ok, it's actually to watch Survivor while I'm remoted into work.

Does anyone have any thoughts or am I pretty much "stuck" with a full featured unit?

Thanks!!!

Josh
20 Inch Intel iMac * MacBook 2 GHz * 60GB iPod * 4GB iPhone

joe
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by JFischel
All,

I have a Dual G5 1.8 and I'm looking for basic TV tuner capabilties from my cable. I don't need any TiVo like abilities. Rather, I just want to be able to pop up a window on the screen to catch the news while I'm remoting into work or something like that. Ok, ok, it's actually to watch Survivor while I'm remoted into work.

Does anyone have any thoughts or am I pretty much "stuck" with a full featured unit?
Since you have a Tower, this PCI card seems like your best bet:
http://www.miglia.com/products/video...dvr/index.html

Despite the list price on that page, it usually goes for $120US more or less. If you buying used, make sure to ask if it's the G4/G5 card. The earlier version was G4-only. This card has no hardware based compression built-in. That shouldn't be a problem since you only want to watch TV. That doesn't mean you can't use the DVR capabilities. Only that those will require more hard drive space and cpu time than the more expensive tuners with built-in hardware compression (EyeTV200, EvolutionTV, ConvertX, etc).

BTW - I'm looking at the same card for my dual 2.5Ghz G5 Tower Nothing wrong with my EyeTV200. But this is a Tower afterall. It would be nice to use a PCI slot for this rather than having another external device taking up space. I just wish there were more PCI tuner options for Tower owners. But AFAIK, this is the ONLY PCI tuner available on Mac.

ranga
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2006, 01:45 PM

I have an AlchemyTV PCI card in my Dual 1.8 G5, but it is the one w/o
the builtin TV Tuner (I use my VCR as a tv tuner). When I bought my
AlchemyTV card, I was told that the one w/ the TV Tuner did not work
w/ a G5.

If you have a VCR and can hook it up to this card, then the it will work
well for you (I use it to watch TV and covert old VHS home movies to
DVD). If not, you should probably think about getting one of the USB
units w/ a built in TV tuner.

--ranga

webraider
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2006, 02:36 PM

Hey,
I had the Miglia card and it will now work with a G5! You can get them Very inexpensively and it is GREAT for watching TV. On my G4 it wasn't powerful enough to be a DVR and I needed onw of those.. so I returned mine and purchased and EyeTV which beats anything Miglia has feature wise and perfomance. However.. if you want to WATCH TV and not record it.. this will work FINE! It is also the best solution for a G5 if you want to play a video game! Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules