Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > XBox 360 Elite + Dell 3007WFP + Mac Pro = ?

XBox 360 Elite + Dell 3007WFP + Mac Pro = ?
someone
Forum Regular
May 15, 2008, 08:47 AM

Hi all,

I'm still looking for a way to hook up my XBox 360 Elite, possibly through my Mac Pro, to a Dell 3007WFP display. The poor display only supports 2560 or 1280x800 resolutions, neither of which the XBox can output. Are there any <$300 solutions out there -- an Elgato or Blackmagic video capture card, perhaps? -- that have been shown to work? Or am I totally out of luck?

thanks,
someone who loves Macs

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2008, 02:57 PM

Are you sure about those input resolutions? I'm pretty sure the 30" Dell has built-in scaling hardware so it can take any of the standard resolutions, unlike the 30" Apple.

Even if it didn't, I'm pretty sure the Xbox will output 1280x720 (720p) for most (all?) games, which the Dell will then scale and/or frame, preserving aspect ratio.

Going through your Mac Pro would be expensive, reduce quality, and add lag (or at least two of the three).
( Last edited by mduell; May 15, 2008 at 03:31 PM. )

someone  (op)
Forum Regular
May 15, 2008, 07:49 PM

I haven't tried this yet (XBox coming this weekend), but are you sure about the scaler in the 3007WFP? All I see is one dual-link DVI input.

If there is a scaler, the only thing I need is an HDMI->DVI cable, correct?

And without a scalar, if the monitor only takes 1280x800 (not 768), what then? Can it still work?

thanks for all your help
someone who loves Macs

someone  (op)
Forum Regular
May 19, 2008, 07:36 PM

Seems like 1280x768 is the answer -- with some 12 pixel repetition at top and bottom:

Monitor Armageddon at Chazography
someone who loves Macs

Forum Links
Forum Rules