Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > weird problem, please help

weird problem, please help
Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2000, 06:50 PM

Date: Sunday, 23 January 2000, at 10:22 a.m.
My mother has a performa 6360 running os 8.6. Sometimes when she moves her arrow to the bottom of the screen, it disappears. BUT, it still is actually there, it is just invisible. She has her control panel at the bottom of her screen, and even if the mouse's arrow has disappeared, she can still operate the control strip.
What would cause the arrow to disappear? A simple restart fixes this, but sometimes it happens all over again rather quickly.
She has just refomatted her hard drive and reinstalled 8.6 less than a month ago. I don't believe she has many, if any, third party extensions going on.
...while I have you here...The last few weeks I've continually had problems with my PowerMac 6500 crashing (OS 9)...I'm wondering if there is any correlation to my crashes, and the desktop printer icons that I use....I have both a Color Stylewriter 1500, and an Alps desktop printer icon on my desktop. This morning my computer crashed about 4 times in a row all within 5 minutes after restarting the computer. The only thing I've changed is the desktop printer being selected, I changed it from my Alps to my Stylewriter. Now no crash in over 1/2 hour. Could this little thing really have caused me a problem?
Thanks for all your help.
Lanny

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2000, 06:56 PM

sounds to me as if trashing the Finder Preferences on both Macs would be the thing to do...

put that file in the trash and restart and empty trash and reset Finder Pref's

dhdalpra
Jan 30, 2000, 05:38 PM

Trash the following preference files and restart (rebuild the desktop, zap PRAM): Finder, System, Control Strip, Display, Monitors, Mouse. You will have to reset preferences for these items. From the Monitors control panel, check to be sure your settings are correct (from the Geometry button) and be sure "Overscan" is turned off. This could be causing the desktop to run beyond the visible edge of your monitor. Also, if you are using a desktop picture, try removing it and using the standard Mac desktop background (Appearance control panel).

I don't use desktop printing, but OS 9 has settled down quite a bit since I've installed some of the updates available from the Software Updates control panel, specifically Open Transport 2.6, OpenGL 1.1.2 and Software Updates 1.1. I would advise NOT using the Audio Update 1.2 and QuickTime 4.1 at this time. If specific applications are causing crashes (Internet Explorer 4.5.1 is a culprit) try increasing their memory allocation. Click on the application icon, hold down the command key and hit the "i" key. From the Get Info window, select memory from the drop-down window.

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2000, 08:13 PM

If there is a corrupted document in your spool folder in the system folder and it keeps trying to print to it, it could cause a crash. Also, a document that in the spool folder and the printer is off could cause the machine to pause while it looks for the printer.

drewman

>This morning my computer crashed about 4 >times in a row all within 5 minutes after >restarting the computer. The only thing >I've changed is the desktop printer being >selected, I changed it from my Alps to my ?>Stylewriter. Now no crash in over 1/2 hour. >Could this little thing really have caused >me a problem?

Forum Links
Forum Rules