Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Question for Booq Vyper Owners

Question for Booq Vyper Owners
tricha6
Jun 8, 2006, 01:18 AM

hey, I'm thinking of getting the booq vyper, but i wanted to know about its rigidity. Does the case, er, um, squish in the middle? (I can't think of a better way to phrase that).
Basically I put my Macbook in my backpack and ride the train. When I lean up against the wall, the weight of my books and some of my body may press up against the computer.

I know this is a common way for laptop screens to get cracked, so I am looking for a sleeve that is hard enough to not depress on the Macbook when pressure is applied. I'm not looking to jump up and down on the case, so it need not be reinforced steel, but how rigid is this case?

Looks very stylish IMHO.

uicandrew
Senior User
Jun 8, 2006, 01:54 AM

it is a very nice and sleek looking sleeve. the best way i can describe the rigidity is that it is as rigid as corrugated cardbord.

the vyper doesn't form a bubble around the laptop. the vyper is in direct contact with the laptop. so if you apply pressure to the vyper, the vyper will transfer the pressure to the laptop. it's just that the vyper will probably disappate or spread the pressure instead of having it concentrate on one spot. but since the sides are soft and it wraps the laptop like a burrito, it doesn't provide a space to buffer or absorb impacts.

does that make sense?
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

MacinTalk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2006, 06:00 PM

Hi tricha6,

The Vyper was designed for exactly what you want to do, use it with a backpack.

Booq describes the Vyper as semi-hard and uicandrew's description is good. It has a firm carboard-ish feel to it. It will help with bumps and bruises and scratches, but it will not withstand a ton of pressure or a drop from a healthy height.

A great little tool to help with pressure on the screen (mild/medium pressure) is a Screensavrz screen protector from RadTech. If you have not heard of or seen one, basically it has a chamois feel to it and is a rectangular cloth that you place over your keyboard before you close your laptop.

This helps with a couple of things; preventing the keyboard from squishing into the screen and also helps you avoid key marks on your screen from either the pressure of other items in your bag or just the oils from your fingers that were left on the keys and then were transferred to the screen.

I hope this helps.

Don

We stock the entire Booq line.
ReadyandSold.com

Disengage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2006, 02:02 AM

Like the other posters have said, it is semi-rigid, so if you tap on it, it sounds like plastic but you can easily bend it. I wish there was a bit more padding on the inside, but I do feel like my Macbook is pretty well protected againsted small bumps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules