Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Quicksilver won't boot OS 9 ???

Quicksilver won't boot OS 9 ???
WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2006, 07:47 PM

My QS 867 (1 gb) that I bought a year ago won't boot OS9. Up until yesterday I only ran OS X on it--currently at 10.4.7. I own a 9.0.4 CD that I bought about 7 years ago and the QS won't boot from that CD. I wanted to install OS 9 on an old 3.2gb hard drive that I have but cannot from the QS. So I put the HD in my old G3 desktop (with G4 card), formatted the HD, installed OS 9 from the CD and built the OS up to 9.2.2. It boots just fine in the G3/G4. But--when I put it back into the QS it won't boot--in fact, OSX won't even see the drive. Any thoughts? Very weird and frustrating.

mac1896
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by WizOSX View Post
My QS 867 (1 gb) that I bought a year ago won't boot OS9. Up until yesterday I only ran OS X on it--currently at 10.4.7. I own a 9.0.4 CD that I bought about 7 years ago and the QS won't boot from that CD. I wanted to install OS 9 on an old 3.2gb hard drive that I have but cannot from the QS. So I put the HD in my old G3 desktop (with G4 card), formatted the HD, installed OS 9 from the CD and built the OS up to 9.2.2. It boots just fine in the G3/G4. But--when I put it back into the QS it won't boot--in fact, OSX won't even see the drive. Any thoughts? Very weird and frustrating.
As far as I know, you need 9.2.2 to be able to boot on that Quicksilver. No Mac can boot to an EARLIER OS than it was released with.

Check minimum OS here:

apple-history.com

I didn't read thru all the way apparently, what is the OS 9.2.2 drive formatted as ??
( Last edited by mac1896; Dec 11, 2006 at 09:01 PM. Reason: added link)
Gee, I hope they're friendly..........

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2006, 09:38 PM

….....................
Originally Posted by mac1896
what is the OS 9.2.2 drive formatted as ??
MAC OS extended

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2006, 10:50 PM

Can you see it within Disk Utility? If not, then there's either a problem with the drive or the way you installed it in your Quicksilver.
Vandelay Industries

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Dec 11, 2006, 11:01 PM

I have a vague recollection that you have to check some kind of 'Make this drive OS 9-bootable' option if you're using the OS X Disk Utility app.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2006, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
I have a vague recollection that you have to check some kind of 'Make this drive OS 9-bootable' option if you're using the OS X Disk Utility app.
The fact that he installed OS 9 and updated it implies that isn't the problem.
Vandelay Industries

mac1896
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2006, 02:06 AM

Was the drive attached to a ATA card when 9.2.2 was installed ?

If so then you will have to :

1. Boot the drive from an ATA card in the Quicksilver also, or

2. Re-install 9.2.2 while attached to the old G3's ATA bus.

There have been several instances of not being able to boot a drive off of a system bus when it has been formatted while attached to an ATA card.

Why DU can't see it though would lead one to consider Art's suggestion.

Or possibly, a bad ATA cable, which I have had happen to me in a similar situation.

Keep us informed.

p.s. Did you also update the disk's drivers in the process of updating from 9.0.4 to 9.2.2. You need to if you didn't.

( Last edited by mac1896; Dec 12, 2006 at 02:14 AM. Reason: added p.s.)
Gee, I hope they're friendly..........

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 02:40 AM

Make sure the jumpers on all your ATA devices are connected as either Master or Slave. If they are set to Cable Select, they will be recognized by OS X, but not OS 9, causing the problems you're seeing.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2006, 12:59 PM

I changed the jumper setting on the drive from master to slave. Now OSX sees the drive and I can also use the drive to run Classic (a big improvement). But I still cannot boot from the drive. I then tried putting the setting back to master, removing the OSX drive and putting the OS9 drive in the same place on the ATA cable as where the OSX drive had been--still won't boot.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 01:34 PM

Please forgive me if I'm being way too obvious here, but just for safety's sake I'd like you to make sure all the drives are configured properly - if you have two drives on one ATA cable, the one plugged into the black connector should be Master and the one plugged into the grey cable should be Slave. There shouldn't be two Masters or two Slaves on the cable.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2006, 06:56 PM

….....................
Originally Posted by CharlesS
Please forgive me if I'm being way too obvious here, but just for safety's sake I'd like you to make sure all the drives are configured properly - if you have two drives on one ATA cable, the one plugged into the black connector should be Master and the one plugged into the grey cable should be Slave. There shouldn't be two Masters or two Slaves on the cable..
The master (OS X) is on the end of the cable (black) and the slave (OS 9) is next to it (grey). I also tried changing the OS 9 drive to master and putting it in place of the DVD drive--still no luck. Is there anything else obvious (like firmware update) that could be preventing the drive from booting?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2006, 07:04 PM

What do you get when you try to boot from the drive? Flashing question mark? Sad Mac? Ignoring it and booting from the primary drive?

Does the drive show up as an option in the boot selector when you start up the computer while holding down the Option key? What happens if you select it there?

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2006, 08:22 PM

….....................
Originally Posted by CharlesS
What do you get when you try to boot from the drive? Flashing question mark? Sad Mac? Ignoring it and booting from the primary drive?
Does the drive show up as an option in the boot selector when you start up the computer while holding down the Option key? What happens if you select it there?
When I set it as the startup disk and do restart I get a quick flashing question mark, then a OS 9 folder icon, then it jumps immediately to OS X and boots from there.

It does not appear in the boot selector even though it is then seen on the desktop and runs Classic fine.

P
Dec 15, 2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
The fact that he installed OS 9 and updated it implies that isn't the problem.
It might still be the problem. The "Make drive OS 9 bootable" or "Install Mac OS 9 drivers" or similar is required to boot from it, but you can still install and update OS 9 on it while booted from CD.

Forum Links
Forum Rules