Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Looking For A Good Digital Camera For About 250?

Looking For A Good Digital Camera For About 250?
buzlink
Jan 11, 2007, 04:52 PM

I have never owned a digital camera. I have tried a few Sony Cameras, and really do not like the pictures they take. My girlfriend has an older Kodak that takes really nice digital pictures.
I'm looking for something that has good color and contrast balance, and that has a auto focus that actually works.

What are some good cameras to take a look?

Thanks

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2007, 09:32 PM

Canon SD700 IS ($300) or A710 IS ($310)
There aren't many differences between the two
SD700: Ultra-compact, Lithium battery, 4x optical zoom
A710: Compact, AA batteries, 6x optical zoom, a few more manual controls

I went with the A710 because I like AAs and the size isn't a huge deal for me.

I know they're on the high end of your price range, but once you've used a camera with image stabilization, I don't think you'll ever consider another.

Look at dpreview.com for very in-depth reviews of both cameras.

tie
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2007, 02:50 AM

Fuji cameras have the best noise performance by far, which makes up for IS and then some (IS does nothing against motion blur). I'm not sure what their latest model # is. On the other hand, Canon point-and-shoots have improved a lot recently; they used to have nearly the worst shutter lag but they are now decently quick.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 13, 2007, 01:01 PM

Most anything is good, but I would avoid Nikons at that price range. They're slow. Very slow. They take forever to power on, and in the time it takes for the flash to rechrage, you could cook up a cup of instant noodles.

I'd suggest a Canon, too. Most of my good camera experiences stemmed from that brand.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2007, 02:53 AM

The PANASONIC LX-2 is slightly above your 300$ range, but an excellent camera, which also exists in a Leica rebranded version with a better design (Leica d-lux 3 much more expensive).

It is a compact with the adjusment options of a big camera. It has a Leica lens.

And it shoots three formats, one of which is 16:9.

Check it out before you decide.

The picture quality is excellent for a compact.

385.00 at Abes of Maine.

Check out the other Panasonics. They are good cameras, have optical stabilization control.

If you did not like the Sony cameras, you should probably up your price range a bit.

There is also the new entry level Nikon d40, also above your limit, but to be considered if you care about quality.

check

dpreview.com

for camera recommendations and reviews.

Forum Links
Forum Rules