Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mozilla 1.0rc3 is available

Mozilla 1.0rc3 is available
Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
May 24, 2002, 12:35 AM

Seems to have been posted this evening here - yes, it's in the *releases* dir and not nightly. I am just d/l now although it's coming down a lot slower than normal (?)
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Prijker
Forum Regular
May 24, 2002, 07:30 AM

And...
it's their best build ever!
i'm always amazed when a new build is available
But this time, it's near perfect!
From now on, i can admit Mozilla is the best X browser, and can compete with Omniweb
Do you realize we're talking about beta sofware?

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
May 24, 2002, 08:49 AM

I admit I am impressed. This version is far more usable than the last I tried, and all sorts of minor annoyances are gone. I'm not switching from Omniweb, mainly because of the startup time and the inability to either switch windows with a keyboard shortcut or make new windows open a tab by default (at least one of those is essential when you tend to have 10+ windows open at once), but it's replacing IE as my browser for those troublesome javascript or CSS sites...
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

undotwa
Professional Poster
May 24, 2002, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by Gul Banana:
<STRONG>I admit I am impressed. This version is far more usable than the last I tried, and all sorts of minor annoyances are gone. I'm not switching from Omniweb, mainly because of the startup time and the inability to either switch windows with a keyboard shortcut or make new windows open a tab by default (at least one of those is essential when you tend to have 10+ windows open at once), but it's replacing IE as my browser for those troublesome javascript or CSS sites...</STRONG>
I think some kind of key modifier to automatically create a new tab, kinda like COMMAND+CLICK LINK to open new window.
In vino veritas.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2002, 10:34 AM

We've had Milestones, point releases, then sub-point releases 0.9.1-0.9.9 and now release candidates....how much work does a simple suite of internet utilities need? I hope there's just one or two more release-candidates before they pluck up the courage to call it 1.0.

I still think Mozilla is a piece of junk and a waste of 3 years open-sourcing, but I want to know one thing. Has it fixed those little dots that appear on the scrollbar and elsewhere on the interface?

That's a big UI glitch whcih has been around since Mozilla-like creatures really roamed the earth, and if they can't fix it in rc3, then what's going on with their interface code?

Chris

ROFL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2002, 11:17 AM

Say what you will about the look/interface, but this is the best damn browser for OSX. It's fast as **** (although the interface is a tad slow), and finally really stable. It had stability issues up until 1.0rc1. Since then (about a month ago), I have not had ONE crash. And I use this browser 8 hours a day (I just surf the web at work all day basically).

You can't say that about any other browser for OSX.

I'm excited about chimera also, but that seems to hvae been put on hold for the time (I think he's in negotiations with apple, personally).

Good work mozilla team

surfacto
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2002, 01:46 PM

Help me.
I'm pulling my hair out trying to manage some bookmarks in mozilla. I accidentally erased my personal toolbar folder and now I can't get it back. I can't rename bookmarks, I can't move bookmarks into other folders. Did I miss the day where they revealed the mysteries of this browser to the average user? All I can do is add bookmarks, delete bookmarks, and open bookmarks. I love mozilla's speed, but this is pretty basic stuff that should be easier to deal with.

Another thing: can I get it to open new window when I click the dock icon if none is open already?

[ 05-24-2002: Message edited by: surfacto ]

ROFL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2002, 01:54 PM

surfacto: That's happened to me. Go to:

view -&gt; show/hide -&gt; personal toolbar (and make sure its checked)

otherwise you might just need to delete your ".mozilla" folder in your home folder

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
May 24, 2002, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by undotwa:
<STRONG>

I think some kind of key modifier to automatically create a new tab, kinda like COMMAND+CLICK LINK to open new window.</STRONG>
I'm aware of that, but a lot of things automatically open new windows - for example, clicking on links in MacNN forums. There appears to be no way to make this open a tab instead. It's a minor issue, I know, but it bugs me, so I'll stick to non-tabbed browsing for now
Terminated

KidRed
Professional Poster
May 25, 2002, 12:44 AM

Anyone having problems getting it to install? I get the same hang at start up as some at versiontracker reported.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
May 25, 2002, 04:57 AM

The only problem I had with this Mozilla release is the compressed archive didn't want to decompress at first. First time, it Stuffit Expander gave me an error. Second time I tried it, worked fine, installed fine, and has made my surfing experience much more pleasurable (yay...no more Explorer!). It's fast, it's stable, and it has tabs. As in OS 9, this is my browser of choice for OS X.

JLL
Professional Poster
May 25, 2002, 07:55 AM

<STRONG>

I'm aware of that, but a lot of things automatically open new windows - for example, clicking on links in MacNN forums. There appears to be no way to make this open a tab instead. It's a minor issue, I know, but it bugs me, so I'll stick to non-tabbed browsing for now </STRONG>
Enable 'Open tabs instead of windows for Middle-click or control-click of links in a Web page', and CMD-clicking a link will open it in a new tab.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
May 25, 2002, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by JLL:
<STRONG>

Enable 'Open tabs instead of windows for Middle-click or control-click of links in a Web page', and CMD-clicking a link will open it in a new tab.</STRONG>
After experimentation, I see that that does indeed work with links that normally open new windows. That only leaves things which aren't links.. which there aren't too many of, so it's puttupwithable. I still think there should be a preference setting for it, though
Terminated

JLL
Professional Poster
May 25, 2002, 10:24 AM

<STRONG>

After experimentation, I see that that does indeed work with links that normally open new windows. That only leaves things which aren't links.. which there aren't too many of, so it's puttupwithable. I still think there should be a preference setting for it, though </STRONG>
And I think that the Mozilla group should change the wording in the Preference section.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2002, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by Prijker:
<STRONG>And...
it's their best build ever!
i'm always amazed when a new build is available
But this time, it's near perfect!
From now on, i can admit Mozilla is the best X browser, and can compete with Omniweb
Do you realize we're talking about beta sofware?
</STRONG>
Does it seem that people are scared of Mozilla or are so many people still in the dark about???????????????????????

xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2002, 09:56 AM

I like the Navigator tab. It's great feature!

TC
Senior User
May 26, 2002, 03:34 PM

Really stupid question but since they are planning a release party for June 12th is that the definite date for the release of Mozilla 1.0?
Nothing to see, move along.

Mr. Blur  (op)
Professional Poster
May 26, 2002, 04:34 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by TC:
<strong>Really stupid question but since they are planning a release party for June 12th is that the definite date for the release of Mozilla 1.0?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Not necessarily, but it'll probably be very close to that date, a little before or a little after....not to rule out that particular day, but last minute bugs etc can change things.....
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2002, 04:36 PM

I'm still using the recent trunk builds; they're more advanced than the branch (if a bit less stable).

But I really wish they'd provide either a real installer for OSX, or a version without Mail/News and ChatZilla (the rest can't be removed). That should cut down on both size and startup time. I've got a bug filed in BugZilla about it, and there's discussion going on; they don't want to do it until they've fixed their protocol helper bugs (so that Moz can open other apps for E-mail, Usenet, and IRC).
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2002, 01:58 AM

This is the first release of Mozilla that's actually impressed me. Scrolling could use improvement, but the speed of rendering and everything else is great. Except the windows should be outline-resizing, not live. It's still way too slow, but that's for every browser in X.

Forum Links
Forum Rules