Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac DV SE 400 Display Problems

iMac DV SE 400 Display Problems
NormPhillips
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2002, 11:15 PM

Hey all, I have a friend with an iMac DV SE 400 and Mac OS X v10..2.1 Jaguar and Mac OS 9.0.4. We tried resetting the PRAM, readjusting the display settings, booting up in both systems, and no matter what we do the screen is dark and messed up. I was just on the phone with her on this problem so I'm unsure as to what exactly her screen is displaying. I'm almost sure it's not a software problem because both Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X have these screwed up settings. What should I do?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Norm

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2002, 11:46 PM

Did the machine experience any special physical or electrical conditions (i.e. a drop, a power surge) before these symptoms started occuring?

Is the display ever fully "on," or is it totally dark (as if no power were going to it)?

NormPhillips  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2002, 12:17 AM

The display is on.

As for the power surges, I'm not sure. But if that is the case, it furthers proves the point that there's a hardware problem

Olorin
Nov 7, 2002, 12:08 AM

I know what your problem is. You need to install the firmware update for your imac 400. I think you can get it off of apples site. This will fix your problem.
"Not all who wander are lost." ~ Gandalf

NormPhillips  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2002, 12:13 AM

Is this problem caused by the OS X install without the firmware? Why was it able to start up and shutdown before just fine?

Olorin
Nov 7, 2002, 12:18 AM

right. Apple doesn't bother to tell you but you are supposed to upgrade the firmware before installing OS 10. If you install OS X without the firmware update the monitor will get all screwy, even if you boot back into OS 9. Basically nothing will fix it except updating the firmware. You can find the latest firmware on the 10.2 disk(if you have it) or I think you can get it from www.apple.com. post back here if you need any help. I'll be around for a while tonight.

NormPhillips  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2002, 12:30 AM

So, after I install the firmware update the computer will be working correctly even though OS X is already installed?

Olorin
Nov 7, 2002, 12:39 AM

correct. Although starting over from scratch may be better. However, the computer should run fine after the update wether or not you initialize and install. It's really up to you.

Get the firmware update and see how things are. If you are still experiencing problems initialize and reinstall. Don't install the firmware again though, there is no need to do that.

NormPhillips  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2002, 12:44 AM

Right, I've worked with firmware updates before so I know that (it's not saved to the HD). But I just want to double check.

I can't initalize though because she has a lot of data that'd be a pain to backup for this, so I'll just run the firmware. Thanks dude.

Olorin
Nov 7, 2002, 12:52 AM

No problem. Let me know if it works out.

NormPhillips  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2002, 02:02 AM

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...onID=anonymous|157509797

According to this it has to be installed before, you sure it will work after? Does Mac OS X 10.2 do something to the firmware?

Olorin
Nov 11, 2002, 02:39 AM

It worked out on an iMac we have around here. I installed 10.2 on it the screen was all screwed up so I installed the firmware and all worked fine. I would suggest backing important stuff up first just in case. If the firmware doesn't work for you since you have already installed 10 then you can start from scratch.

Honestly all I can say is that it worked fine for me installing over 10. The only thing is that you have to boot up in 9 to install it. So if you don't have 9 installed you will have to install it first.

You can either initialize your HD and install 9 or go ahead and install 9 over 10. The installer will not delete OS 10 some how it's smart enough to just install over 10.

My personal opinion on the matter is this:

boot up from the 9 CD initialize, partition, (one for 9 and one for 10), then install 9 on the 9 partition. Insert the OS X CD install the firmware on this CD. Then install 10.2 on the 10 partition. Be sure to back everything up. In my opinion following these steps will bring you the most secure outcome. On the other hand there is no reason why installing the firmware without doing all of this shouldn't work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules