Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > system clock is gaining time

system clock is gaining time
icposse2000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 07:48 PM

I hope someone can help me out with this problem...the system's clock is gaining time.

If I sync it to a network server, by the end of a week, it has gained close to 15 minutes. This may not seem like that big of a deal, but I've got eyeTV running, and it's screwing up the recordings of all my shows (starting & stopping 10 minutes early or so).

Any ideas why this may be happening? Is the system not performing it's routine maintenance programs? (I've also noticed that the text on the "about my mac" is all jumbled together, but I doubt that's related)

Also, is there a way to tell the system to update the clock more frequently, maybe with applescript or through the terminal?

Thanks!

-John

--------------
iMac 17" 800 MHz
768MB RAM
OS X 10.2.6

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2003, 07:53 PM

Let me guess... you are on dial up?

I would guess the battery is bad or it's something with your power supply....

(100% off the top of my head)

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2003, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by icposse2000:
I hope someone can help me out with this problem...the system's clock is gaining time.

If I sync it to a network server, by the end of a week, it has gained close to 15 minutes. This may not seem like that big of a deal, but I've got eyeTV running, and it's screwing up the recordings of all my shows (starting & stopping 10 minutes early or so).

Any ideas why this may be happening? Is the system not performing it's routine maintenance programs? (I've also noticed that the text on the "about my mac" is all jumbled together, but I doubt that's related)

Also, is there a way to tell the system to update the clock more frequently, maybe with applescript or through the terminal?

Thanks!

-John

--------------
iMac 17" 800 MHz
768MB RAM
OS X 10.2.6

Make sure you're on the Internet a little bit more. I don't even have a battery in my Mac, time works great, I am on broadband, so it syncs with a NTP server every so often. If you look in /etc there should be a ntp config file. If not then search on Network Time Protocol configuration, it's just a config file you have to change, update the frequency.

Nate

icposse2000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 08:38 PM

I don't think the connection is the problem. I have a DSL line and I never have trouble with safari or mail or any web-based app.

Forum Links
Forum Rules