Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > worry of the day

worry of the day
amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 10:55 AM

with all those jets populating the skies what effect does it have on the quality of rain water?

boots
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2004, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by amsalpemkcus:
with all those jets populating the skies what effect does it have on the quality of rain water?
I don't know that that has been studied, but it has been shown to effect the weather patterns....

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 11:20 AM

It has been demonstrated to not only affect the weather, but the air quality. This was a test conducted when all airplanes were grounded after 9/11. The air quality is significantly improved in the absence of burning jet fuel.

It would make sense, then, that rain passing through more polluted air would also be more polluted.

Mmmmm...jet fuuuuueeeeellll...
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Apr 17, 2004, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by wolfen:
The air quality is significantly improved in the absence of burning jet fuel.
i need these people to tell me that it is significantly less wet when it isn't raining. until then, i'm not gonna believe it.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2004, 12:05 PM

That being said. It also has been proven that the air quality inside your home is worse than that inside.

Why indoor air is much more harmful than outdoor air:

According to the American College of Allergies, 50% of all illness is aggravated or caused by polluted indoor air.

To begin with, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) themselves declare that indoor air is anywhere from 2 to 10 times more hazardous than outdoor air.

The EPA also warns us that the indoor air quality epidemic is the nation's number one environmental health problem.

Today's homes and buildings are built air-tight, with energy-efficiency in mind, as a result of the energy crisis of the 1970s. Their air-tight construction keep airborne pollutants trapped inside, and nature's air-cleansing agents outside. Is it any wonder that statistics for asthma problems began rising sharply around the same time that homes and buildings began to be built this way?

In fact, a recent study found that the allergen level in super-insulated homes is 200% higher than it is in ordinary homes.

Plus, according to Scientific America, a baby crawling on the floor inhales the equivalent of 4 cigarettes a day, as a result of the outgassing of carpets, molds, mildews, fungi, dust mites, etc.

Most people spend well over 90% of their time inside. In which case, indoor air is going to impact our health far more than outdoor air.

"Virtually everyone is affected, especially asthmatics and others who are particularly sensitive to allergens and contaminates in the air.

Keep in mind that no home or building is immune to the indoor air quality epidemic.

To begin with, the EPA informs us that 6 out of 10 homes and buildings are "sick", meaning they are hazardous to your health to occupy as a result of airborne pollutants.

Even the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) very own headquarters, constructed a few years ago, was determined to be "sick". Many EPA employees could not work inside the building without becoming sick. If the headquarters of the EPA can fall victim to the indoor air quality epidemic, the very government agency that is charged with finding solutions to this problem, then any home or building can be afflicted.

In fact, every home and building is affected by the indoor air quality epidemic to one degree or another, regardless of how clean it may appear. Every home is filled with prime sources that contribute to mass quanities of airborne allergens and contaminates.

For instance, if your home looks really clean, you should ask yourself how it became that way. Did you use aerosols, floor and/or furniture polish, bleach, amonia, bathroom cleaners, etc.? If so, these products emit harmful chemical vapors into the air.

Most homes or buildings also have carpet, painted walls, chemically-treated furnishings, dust, insects, moist or damp things, food people, and . . . People?! Yes, humans shed more than just about any other animal, but our skin flakes are small enough to float in the air, and are consequently inhaled by anyone who enters a room.

As a graphic example, about 80% of what you see floating in a ray of sunshine entering your home through a window is dead human skin!

This is not to mention other sources of airborne pollutants that we may bring indoors, such as cigarette smoke and pets. Even if you eliminate or prohibit a certain source of indoor air pollution from your home, such as pets, you may still be affected.

For instance, a recent study conducted in Philadelphia tested a random sample of homes for the number one allergy trigger: cat dander. Out of all the homes tested, 100% were found to contain cat dander, despite the fact that many of these homes did not have a cat.
(Read "8 tips that will help you reduce the risk of asthma attacks with pets in the home.")

Increased ventilation is not the answer. a group of scientists recently discovered that increasing ventilation in a building did not reduce the number of symptoms."

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2004, 12:10 PM

They need outside Internet.

boots
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2004, 12:10 PM

We just bought a HEPA air filter for our bedroom. The difference is amazing. We are no saving up for a bigger one that can do the whole house. Again, the difference is absolutely amazing. Even after just a few hours, we noticed the difference.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2004, 12:14 PM

Airplanes probably aren't even a drop in the bucket considering all of the millions of SUVs with one person in them going to and from work...

At least the airplane has a bunch of people in it.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2004, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Airplanes probably aren't even a drop in the bucket considering all of the millions of SUVs with one person in them going to and from work...

At least the airplane has a bunch of people in it.
Kidding right?

SUVs compared to all the pre 80's cars on the roads today? What about the modified hondas, etc? WIth the aftermarket glass packed mufflers? These guys use a quick switch to go from legal to illegal exhaust...

What about Trucks, and Buses? Talk about pollution.

On the other hand I won't deny you the fact that I hate all the SUVs on the road as well, I am just not ready to apply the problems of pollution to them. Lump in with them the Mini Vans that aren't so mini. I drive a small sedan, and would drive Hybrid if I could afford one... so count me in as part environmentalist.

boots
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2004, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by ghost_flash:
Kidding right?

SUVs compared to all the pre 80's cars on the roads today? What about the modified hondas, etc? WIth the aftermarket glass packed mufflers? These guys use a quick switch to go from legal to illegal exhaust...

What about Trucks, and Buses? Talk about pollution.

On the other hand I won't deny you the fact that I hate all the SUVs on the road as well, I am just not ready to apply the problems of pollution to them. Lump in with them the Mini Vans that aren't so mini. I drive a small sedan, and would drive Hybrid if I could afford one... so count me in as part environmentalist.
Yeah, it's not so much the pollution from any particular kind of vehicle. SUV's bug me because they get such shitty gas milage. For what most people use them for, it's a waste of resources. That's what bugs me. That and the fact that you rarely see more than one person in a vehicle during the day. Again, waste of resources.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2004, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by boots:
Yeah, it's not so much the pollution from any particular kind of vehicle. SUV's bug me because they get such shitty gas milage. For what most people use them for, it's a waste of resources. That's what bugs me. That and the fact that you rarely see more than one person in a vehicle during the day. Again, waste of resources.
I'm with you on their usage. I'd rather have a pick-up truck in the garage, and a hybrid. Or rather, my choice of choices would be a hybrid HUMMER. I like the size, but forgetabouthemileage. My friend who has one of these beast pays way too much to fill the tank, and to look cool.

Waste of resources can be argued, but also, the freedom to waste them if you pay for them...

I'm still with you. I'd rather waste my money on other things that last longer than a vehicle that looks great but sucks gas. What about Yachts? A hole in the water to toss money.

On the same lines. How many rich. (John Kerry) waste resources? Private Jets, etc...

wolfen
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
http://www.nextelbroadband.com/

Aww hell yeaaaahhhh. One of the lesser demons (partners) in my company (ring of Hell) has it. Apparently it's easier to keep tabs on the condemned souls from the fishing dock.

wolfen
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2004, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by boots:
We just bought a HEPA air filter for our bedroom. The difference is amazing. We are no saving up for a bigger one that can do the whole house. Again, the difference is absolutely amazing. Even after just a few hours, we noticed the difference.
Sharper Image sells the Ionic Breeze. Has anyone else purchased this product? Thoughts on its effectiveness?

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

boots
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2004, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
Sharper Image sells the Ionic Breeze. Has anyone else purchased this product? Thoughts on its effectiveness?
Our filter also has an ionizer in it. We bought a Hunter branded one. There does seem to be a difference between running it with and without the ionizer switched on, but not a very big difference. In our house, at least, the HEPA filter is the thing that makes the biggest difference.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2004, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
inside outernet? mmm.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2004, 12:57 PM

worry of the day?

where are all the images on the MacNN forum?
They are all ?-ed.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Apr 17, 2004, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
worry of the day?

where are all the images on the MacNN forum?
They are all ?-ed.
not just for you
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...25#post1936525
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...25#post1936566
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Forum Links
Forum Rules