Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Display Settings Out Of Range?

Display Settings Out Of Range?
IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Jun 23, 2005, 09:53 PM

How do I reset the display prefs? I have a monitor I "need" to use on a system but I went beyond it's display resolution and of course get the "Out of Range" on the monitor. I can plug another monitor up to it and get everything up reset the display settings within acceptable setings for the monitor I need to use, but evidently the system must keep seperate monitor settings because when I go back to the other monitor it's still "Out of Range".

I'm assuming there are some prefs I can delete but where are they?

Thanks!!
- Eric

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2005, 01:50 AM

Hello again fellow mountain folk!

Here's an idea:

reset the PRAM by rebooting holding down command-option-p-r.
Hold down the shift key when you boot for safe boot. At this point, the theory is that your system should be in a lower resolution (also with far fewer hardware extensions loaded). Set the resolution to something workable, and reboot.

If that doesn't work, try rebooting without the monitor connected. It will almost certainly boot into 800x600 this way. However, depending on your video card, it may auto-detect the monitor when it is connected.

Lastly, you could get a VNC server up and running while the machine is connected to another monitor. Then, remotely log in from another machine using a VNC client, and change the resolution from there. There should be a way to fix it without resorting to this, though.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2005, 03:59 AM

If you could temporarily connect a second monitor you could maybe adjust the resolution. From the second monitor you should be able to reset the res for the monitor you need?

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

mrcorwin
Jun 25, 2005, 08:17 AM

Hold down the shift key and do a safe boot then you should be able to set the resolution to something your monitor can handle.

IFLY2HIGH  (op)
Senior User
Jun 25, 2005, 08:28 AM

Hey Detrius,

I ended up just reinstalling the OS. I had nothing to lose anyway when I was seting up the system and was fustrated, but I never thought about reseting the PRAM. At least if I ever do that again I'll have more options next go around to try, but then again if I had left it knowing the monitor I was using wouldn't go any higher, I would of been fine, ah if it ain't broken fix it till it is, my luck lol

Yeah I don't have the stock graphics card in there either so hooking up a second monitor wasn't an option. This system was made from parts, lol, and I only have a Rage Pro from a Gigabit model poped in there.
- Eric

Forum Links
Forum Rules