Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Syriana

Syriana (Page 2)
Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2006, 11:36 PM

I saw it recently. I had the version without the subtitles so I could only understand the Urdu and the tiny bit of French in the movie, not much of the Arabic. I would think it would be hard to follow even with the subtitles, but it was a good movie. A lot of the characters weren't explained/developed enough. The ending was sad, but in my opinion, it was realistic.

The message I got out of the movie was, evil prevails. Don't ask me how I came to that conclusion though, I have no idea.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2006, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo

I read it on the intarweb so it must be true!

V
Let me see, listen to voodoo or the US Consumer Product Safety Commission. Tough choice.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=23423
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml03/03125.html

Water is a good conductor. The human body is a conductor, because most of our body is made up of water. Laws are pass to insure people don't get electrocuted in the pool because of previous incidents.
( Last edited by hyteckit; Aug 11, 2006 at 01:18 AM. )
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2006, 12:43 AM

Wait...

Fixed.

V

whatever spark in your brain that needs fixing, needs to be so. water conducts electricity. hence the boy getting electrocuted. what do you not understand. okay, here's an example. guy drops plugged in toaster, hairdryer into a full bathtub of water he is sitting in. how does he die? answer that one

Alex

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2006, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
guy drops plugged in toaster, hairdryer into a full bathtub of water he is sitting in. how does he die? answer that one

Alex
You don't grasp basic physics very well.. nor do you see the difference between a tub of water and a swimming pool.

Let's get a few things out of the way.

1. If electricity is leading into a body of water and the body of water conducting it, the electricity net would burn out in seconds IF the safety wouldn't turn off the current in milliseconds. Which is what happens in 'real life'.

2. Water is a lousy conductor of electricity. Worse even, is the human body.

3. All circuits that are put in bathrooms, near water etc anyway are grounded.

4. A cirucuit CANNOT leak into a body of water and NOT burn out the network in matter of seconds.

5. If a kid jumps in such a pool the LIGHTS in the rest of the net DO NOT DIM for a second.

6. What the heck do you think e- is??

Less than 10A into a 100+ m3 pool of water... You'd feel nothing.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2006, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit
Let me see, listen to voodoo or the US Consumer Product Safety Commission. Tough choice.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=23423
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml03/03125.html

Water is a good conductor. The human body is a conductor, because most of our body is made up of water. Laws are pass to insure people don't get electrocuted in the pool because of previous incidents.
1. Water is a lousy conductor.

2. The human body is a lousy conductor..

Believe some crap links you post on the net - which are without any real explaination or proper comments - or believe reality of physics.

Water is a lousy conductor. Now if you knew anything of what you were talking about than you'd know that ionized water is a passable conductor.

Water, in and of itself, is NOT.

The incident pictured in the movie could NEVER have happened. You must be confusing what happened in the movie with something else..

Do you ever REMEMBER what happened in the movie or are you just talking out of your ass, because it seems "so logical" that electricity could EASILY kill you in a pool.

It can't. So sorry. If the current sustains in the water, then it is of such low amperage that it will give you a shock if you come close enough, but kill you -- that's just good 'ol American paranoia. And an urban legend come true.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2006, 12:27 PM

so what your saying voodoo is that you yourself would jump into a pool that has the same setup as in the movie? since according to whatever your regurgitating says that it would be okay.

Alex

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2006, 12:51 PM

Well, pure water isn't a very good conductor, but if there's enough particles in the water, then those particles can increase the conductivity of the solution quite a bit. It all depends on the circumstances.

Wait... are we arguing over a fictitious movie?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2006, 03:08 PM

You don't grasp basic physics very well.. nor do you see the difference between a tub of water and a swimming pool.

Let's get a few things out of the way.

1. If electricity is leading into a body of water and the body of water conducting it, the electricity net would burn out in seconds IF the safety wouldn't turn off the current in milliseconds. Which is what happens in 'real life'.

2. Water is a lousy conductor of electricity. Worse even, is the human body.

3. All circuits that are put in bathrooms, near water etc anyway are grounded.

4. A cirucuit CANNOT leak into a body of water and NOT burn out the network in matter of seconds.

5. If a kid jumps in such a pool the LIGHTS in the rest of the net DO NOT DIM for a second.

6. What the heck do you think e- is??

Less than 10A into a 100+ m3 pool of water... You'd feel nothing.

V
Okay, I was wrong about water being a good conductor. But nonetheless, pool water does conduct electicity and humans do conduct electricity mainly because we are made up mostly of water. The fact that electricity flows through the human body and you can get shock or electrocuted if you touch someone who is being electrocuted proofs that the human body is conductive.

All power outlets in the bathroom or anywhere close to water need to have GFGI (ground-fault circuit interrupter). Old pools are dangerous because they don't have GFGI in place and people were (a fact) getting electocuted in the pool. Thus new laws requires all pool to have GFGI.

However, the pool scene was not in the US. US laws don't apply. GFGI is probably not required in that country. And in the movie, it shows the boy jump into the pool, but doesn't show the boy getting electrocuted at the point he hits water.

I don't know how you argue against the fact that people do get electrocuted in the pool when it has been reported in the news and death reports, and laws are pass in order to prevent pool electrocution.

You wouldn't touch a person who is being electrocuted woudl you? You wouldn't stand on a pool of water while holding a live powered microphone would you?
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules