Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > imac photos needed

imac photos needed
trevj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2000, 12:48 AM

Wanna help promote the Mac?!
I have been asked to illustrate an iMac for a major publication, but I am lacking decent photo reference. I need an iMac owner out there, who also owns a digital camera to shoot a photo of an iMac from a 3/4 front view, slightly above so that the keyboard surface is fully visible (keyboard should be directly in front of computer). It doesn't matter what model or color imac. I need a good sized, sharp image. Any stock Apple photos I've seen are not the right angle for my needs. Please send JPEG'd photos or questions directly to me asap.
[email protected]
Thanks in advance

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Feb 11, 2000, 01:10 AM

I have an iMac DV and would be interested in doing this job for you, but my first question would be: how much are you willing to pay for my services? I am a professional photographer and maybe I'm misinterpreting your post, but I'm concerned that you are asking the great people on this forum to submit a photo to you for free. If you're a graphics designer working (or freelancing) for a major publication, I'm certain that the publication is (or at least <strong>should</strong>) be paying you well for your work. A photographer helping you out with this job should see part of that income. If the tables were reversed, and I landed a freelance job to illustrate an iMac, and I knew I could take a great photo of the iMac, but needed your assistance to jazz it up a bit, would you do it for free? If I misinterpreted your post, I apologize, and I really would be interested in doing this job for you. Please feel free to email me ([email protected]) and we can negotiate a fair price.

[This message has been edited by keekeeree (edited 02-11-2000).]

RossMAN
Feb 11, 2000, 03:52 AM

Take your pick from 66 iMac picts available from MacDesktops.com

<a href="http://macdesktops.com/iMac.shtml">iMac - Bondi Blue</a> (24)

<a href="http://macdesktops.com/iCandy.shtml">iMac - Candy</a> (17)

<a href="http://macdesktops.com/iMacDV.shtml">iMac - DV</a> (25)

Misha
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2000, 09:23 AM

Or check out Apple's own PR photo archive at:
http://www.apple.com/pr/

PolarWave
Feb 11, 2000, 01:10 PM

RossMan and Misha, remember that for publication, permission will be required. How much you pay for that permission depends on the source. I don't usually get to do fun stuff like this, I usually do macro documentation work.

I am in total agreement with Keekeeree photographers and graphic artists deserve to be paid when their work is used.

If you get a chance, you should check out his website. Some really good stuff.

trevj  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2000, 02:59 PM

Just to clarify things here before they get too out of hand...
I'm not looking for anybody to set up a professional studio shot of an iMac. All I need is a simple digital photo which I can use as reference to create a simple product illustration. In no way will anyone's photos be used other than as a reference. I would be happy to take digital photos (for free) of any of my Mac equipment for anyone out there. But if you don't feel that this is something you feel comfortable with, that's entirely fine. It's a free world. Thanks anyways.

Misha
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2000, 03:16 PM

trevj, just use Apple's own PR photos of the iMac... they have a high-resolution 3/4 shot of a grape iMac DV (ok, it's not quite 3/4 but just about).
http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/iMac/newimac.html

Remember that if you're going to printing something you want it to be very high resolution... probably more so than anyone's digital camera can do.

And one can use Apple's PR photos free of charge:

"Apple Computer, Inc. grants you full permission to reproduce or otherwise utilize entire photographs or part according to the following guidelines. Images cannot be used to promote or sell any product or technology, nor can they be used for advertising or inclusion in brochures or other sales materials. We understand that you will give our company a credit line as follows: "Courtesy of Apple Computer, Inc." and also credit the photographer if noted. Thank you for your interest. "

PolarWave
Feb 12, 2000, 06:57 PM

Misha, you and I seem to be in agreement about the need for permission.

Normally when someone asks me to provide service, depending on what they are being paid, and how the work will be used, we negotiate "payment." Sometimes payment is providing that little credit next to the picture, sometimes it is a future trade of service, sometimes it is money.

In this thread, there are two photographers capable of doing this image but I haven't been contacted to discuss any details to see what is really needed and what would be fair for my work for this particular request.

Misha
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2000, 02:35 PM

PolarWave, as it turns out all that trevj needed was a simple photo of an iMac from a 3/4 perspective. Quality didn't need to be exceptional, and it didn't matter was around the iMac (meaning no need to take everything off your desk). While I absolutely agree with the bartering of services for payment (or other services in return), I also believe in favors. In this case, all it would take is for someone who has a digital camera to spend 1 minute snapping a photo of their iMac and then sending it to trevj. Surely you agree that this isn't a very big demand; heck, just by helping out other iMac users by reading and responding to questions in the forum you're providing a service free of charge.

disectamac
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2000, 03:18 PM

Trevj,

Check your mail.....I had the pic sitting around I took with a 35mm but hadn't really found reason to scan it until I read your post.

No Fees Required from me dude!!

Viva La Mac!!!!!
-and Marc Anthony!!! (ricky martin is the vanilla ice in the community)

PolarWave
Feb 13, 2000, 08:28 PM

Misha, your point is well taken. Most artists pay for their supplies and models no matter who the job is for. When an artist is doing work for a "major" publication, a fee for any service provided is fair - or at least networking so that your contact list can grow. On the surface, this looks like a really simple thing, but it is not. It is all to common for someone to request a photo to use as reference or in something they are getting paid for and expect it to be free. Perhaps I am just a bit synical because of my own past experience.

Honestly, if I requested that you provide me with research or prose to go with my photos in a publication, would you do it for free and without credit? I don't expect an answer here.

Take another look at the Apple rights of use statement. Their photos (for which they paid the photographer/graphic artist for) can be used in full or part as long as credit is given. They do not give permission to modify the image in any other way. We can really get into a discussion about copyright, but I would rather not.

I am not saying that trevj has done anything wrong. After all, he did not request the services of a professional photographer. I think he did miss out on an opportunity to make contact with two photographers which might be useful down the road.

This is my last post on this particular topic.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Feb 14, 2000, 01:45 AM

PolarWave, I don't think you're being cynical. I think the sad reality of the situation is that the majority of people view creative professionals such as photographers, illustrators and graphic designers as hobbiests who happen to get payed for what they do. I've quit counting the number of times that I've had people say to me, "Oh, you're <strong>just</strong> the photographer? I think that would be fun job. Did you have to go to school for that?" I don't think they intentially look down their noses at artists, but it comes across in their words and how they act towards us.

Trevj, I realize that we see may see differently on this issue, but as a fellow artist, I congratulate you on your landing a job with a major publication. I (and maybe others posting here?) would be interested in seeing the finished product. Would you share with us the name of the publication and when your illustration will run?

Forum Links
Forum Rules