Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buying Refurbished?

Buying Refurbished?
Unclej78
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2003, 11:37 PM

Does the iBook come with the exact number of CD's and software as the new ones? Is the warranty the same? Apple says 1yr w/new but don't know w/refurb. So is it best to spend the extra $150 to get brand new w/all CD and warranty?

Also, when hooking up an external LCD montior, can you get higher resolution than 1024x768 if the monitor is rated to do so?

xtal
Senior User
Jan 25, 2003, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by Unclej78:
Also, when hooking up an external LCD montior, can you get higher resolution than 1024x768 if the monitor is rated to do so?
With the 'out of the box' iBook, no. The VGA out will output whatever the iBook resolution is set to (max 1024x768).

However, many people have reported success using the 'spanning hack' which enables the firmware to use the video card with teh full feature set, that is, the ability to do true monitor spanning. However, doing this hack (all software-based) will void a warranty. Search this forum for 'spanning hack' and you'll have lots to read.

As for buying refurbished, I can't help you with those questions. Sorry.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

Unclej78  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2003, 12:20 AM

So when you do the spanning hack - does it do true dual (at what res.) or just higher mirroring?

How would you control it? I don't use 10 yet only familar with 9.2-below.

xtal
Senior User
Jan 26, 2003, 01:44 PM

So when you do the spanning hack - does it do true dual (at what res.) or just higher mirroring?

I haven't tried it myself, but I believe you can control the external resolution via the system preferences in OS X. If you do a search for a few threads, I know that there are some excellent websites with step by step and screenshots.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

velocipede
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2003, 02:13 PM

Does the iBook come with the exact number of CD's and software as the new ones? Is the warranty the same? Apple says 1yr w/new but don't know w/refurb. So is it best to spend the extra $150 to get brand new w/all CD and warranty?
I'm typing this on my 800 mHz iBook I bought refurbished, and it came with all the same CDs and software that the new iBook comes with. It also has a one year warranty, and I believe I can add Applecare when that's over. Basically, the only difference between the new and refurbished models is that the box the refurbished model comes in isn't quite as nice as the new models. Up to you if it's worth $150 . If you do get the rrefurbished iBook, I'd suggest Smalldog Electronics . I've gotten two refurbed Macs from them, and their prices and customer service are great.
I wanna see movies of my dreams.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2003, 02:56 PM

The hack allows true dual. I can't remember what the highest resolution is on the external but it IS higher than the 1024x768 of the Ibook. As to whether it works on 9.2 (i work under X exclusively) I am not sure.

villa

Forum Links
Forum Rules