Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Editing Pdfs

Editing Pdfs
Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Dec 3, 2005, 04:28 PM

Is there anyway to delete pages from a saved .pdf file?

I often save webpages as pdfs. Usually there are a lot of unwanted graphics and advertising which I know how to crop out, but what about deleting entire pages? Can it be done?

Krusty
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2005, 04:59 PM

Yeah, go to OS X's print dialog, choose the pages you want to print, and then use the 'Save as pdf' option.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2005, 05:33 PM

Of course, you won't know which pages to leave out when you first try to print. So instead of using "Save as PDF" you'll want to click "Preview", which'll show you what the PDF would look like. Then make a note of which pages you want to keep, then click "Cancel," then print again, choosing the right pages and use "Save as PDF."

Although, if your print driver doesn't let you select a noncontiguous pages to print, this would be a giant pain in the butt. I know there's software out there besides Acrobat (the retail version, not the free Reader) that allows you to do simple page deletions, but I'm not sure which. Maybe PDFpen?

Good luck.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2005, 02:18 AM

PDFpen is great for stuff like that. Deleting and inserting pages, making simple edits, etc.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2005, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
Of course, you won't know which pages to leave out when you first try to print. So instead of using "Save as PDF" you'll want to click "Preview", which'll show you what the PDF would look like. Then make a note of which pages you want to keep, then click "Cancel," then print again, choosing the right pages and use "Save as PDF."
No need to click Cancel. Just note the pages you want to keep and then print (save to PDF) them from Preview.

Chris

gopikrishna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2005, 11:12 AM

The MacUpdate reviews complain of EXTREME slowness for PDFpen. And that the PRO version ($95) does not let you do much more than the standard.

Captain: care to look at those revs ( http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13829 ) and say why you think your experience has been better?

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2005, 11:15 AM

And even the shareware standard version is $50
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
Dec 4, 2005, 03:25 PM

Cool! Thanks for the replies!

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2005, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by chabig
No need to click Cancel. Just note the pages you want to keep and then print (save to PDF) them from Preview.

Chris
Oh, yeah, good call. I guess since the window that comes up when you click "Preview" is a little different than a normal PDF's, I didn't realize you could actually still print from the temp file. That's pretty clever.

On a related note, it's a bit suprising that there isn't a built-in workflow to save your PDF to a default location and immediately open it. Sometimes I just want to see something in PDF format without all the intervention, knowing I'll deal with the actual file later..

uberwrensch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2005, 06:10 PM

Webstractor. This is what I use.

Ain't cheap, tho, and not super fast after 10+ pages. Still, does the job for me

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14838

HTH,

Uber
PB17" | 1.33 | 1g | 80g

Forum Links
Forum Rules