Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Was Mac Mail designed by Microsoft?

Was Mac Mail designed by Microsoft?
Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2007, 02:04 PM

Don't get me wrong. I'm not pining for Outlook.

But Mail (at 2.1 on X.4.8) has aggressive patterns that I'd expect from Windows.

The general problem: It insists on acting like it know what's best for me.

Specifically:
• Even if I have it set to check mail *manually* starting up mail will nevertheless cause Mail to check my several inboxes, sorting the new spam, etc.. NOT what I want when I'm just dipping into Mail to retrieve some archived email or pull up a saved draft.
• If I set Mail as a startup app and indicate it should be *hidden* upon opening, it refuses to be hidden: the only app (Apple or otherwise) that will not follow the rules I set.
• If I have quit Mail with the main Inbox Viewer window foremost (with several other items open (usually annoying tasks I can't afford to forget forever but don't want to see in the middle of other work) in background), Mail insists on opening the Viewer first and then *all* other windows *on top*.

In all other respects Mail performs admirably for managing a half-dozen email accounts for different organizations I manage... but these annoyances remain after years of versions, 1.x... 2.x Am I the only one amazed by such Windowsization in an OS X app? The only one who feels majorly inconvenienced?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Macola
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2007, 02:55 PM

No, you're not the only one. Mail does some things very well, but it still feels "unpolished" in some ways...using signatures, for example.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2007, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Love Calm Quiet View Post
The general problem: It insists on acting like it know what's best for me.
I don't know ... that sounds rather Apple-like to me.

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2007, 10:07 PM

i've never been able to figure out how to quickly see my reply to an email in my inbox. often i want to see what i wrote back to someone and i haven't ever figured it out.

It seems like right-click "SEE RESPONSE" would be a nice feature.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2007, 10:16 PM

zaghahzag: click the 'reply' icon next to the mail you replied to, to open your response.

gopikrishna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2007, 07:09 PM

@PurpleGiant: Great tip!

@LCQ: I agree. But is this lack of polish? REALLY disappointing that it still works these ways as of v 2.1

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2007, 07:25 PM

I agree, I like Mail's UI in a lot of ways, but there are several other things — most introduced in 10.4 — that annoy the **** out of me.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2007, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Love Calm Quiet View Post
• If I set Mail as a startup app and indicate it should be *hidden* upon opening, it refuses to be hidden: the only app (Apple or otherwise) that will not follow the rules I set.
Terminal also does this in 10.4.x. I agree; it's annoying. File a report on the bug tracker - I've had one on there for ages, but maybe if a few more people reported it, they'd take notice.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2007, 11:44 PM

If Apple included support for multiple identities, finer control of folder caching, folder subscriptions, and marking folders to be included in checks for new messages, I'd gladly switch back from Thunderbird.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2007, 03:43 AM

What do you mean by "multiple identities"? Mail already lets you use different addresses to send mail.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

FallN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2007, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by PurpleGiant View Post
zaghahzag: click the 'reply' icon next to the mail you replied to, to open your response.
Thanks for the tip! Worked like a charm.

Forum Links
Forum Rules