Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 'Bubbles' under glass of iPhone

'Bubbles' under glass of iPhone
kman42
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2007, 10:47 AM

I developed two small dots on my iPhone screen that I couldn't wipe off with the cleaning cloth. I checked them out under a microscope and they are beneath the surface of the glass, but above the screen. They are perfect spheres and appear as bubbles in or under the glass of the iPhone.

Does anyone know the makeup of the screen/touch surface? I'm assuming there is something sandwiched between the glass and the screen that acts as a touch receptor. Could this somehow separate or get air under it? Can glass develop perfectly spherical imperfections? There does not appear to be any damage to the surface of the screen.

Thanks,
kman

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2007, 12:19 PM

Check this out to see how the screen is put together.

Apple - iPhone - Features

As for the bubbles, I would take it and get it exchanged if I were you. Thats something that is a manufacturers defect, so Apple should replace it right away.

Good luck!

-Q-
Oct 5, 2007, 02:04 PM

Aye, that's definitely a manufacturing defect. Go get that puppy replaced!

manuelrimora
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2007, 03:26 PM

aaaaaaaaaajajajajajajjaj

400 down the drain...

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by manuelrimora View Post
aaaaaaaaaajajajajajajjaj

400 down the drain...
Go away troll.

ChrisInAustin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2007, 10:46 AM

I also developed the same bubbles. I think the first one formed about two weeks after purchase (6/30), with a new one appearing about every 2-3 days. There are now 5 -- it looks like two-thirds of the big dipper, just to the left of the SMS icon on the home screen.

Kman -- were yours there from the get-go, or did they also develop over time? I spent a week in Florida before they appeared and I'm wondering if the bubbles could be water. When you leave the A/C'd room and go out into the 100% humidity, your glasses immediately fog, my video camera was throwing moisture warnings right and left, etc.

Maybe the defect is not with the screen itself, but with the way that the phone is sealed. If the iPhone is going to be as susceptible to humidity as my camera, it should be able to give warnings and recover like my camera.

Also -- any luck getting a replacement?

chriswithpepper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2007, 10:49 AM

Yeah, keep us updated about a replacement.
Chris McCorkle • Happy iPhone Owner!

NoBadBreaks9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2007, 04:09 PM

yea hopefully the replace goes smoothly that definitely on them....

vln2
Oct 13, 2007, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisInAustin View Post
I spent a week in Florida before they appeared and I'm wondering if the bubbles could be water. When you leave the A/C'd room and go out into the 100% humidity, your glasses immediately fog, my video camera was throwing moisture warnings right and left, etc.

Maybe the defect is not with the screen itself, but with the way that the phone is sealed. If the iPhone is going to be as susceptible to humidity as my camera, it should be able to give warnings and recover like my camera.
I live in Florida and never had any bubbles since the day iPhone went on sale. I have never seen the glass getting foggy with the change of humidity and I go through this every day. Had it on the boat and the Caribbean cruise. Never had a problem with the screen. It still has no scratch. I wish the phone reception would be that good.
Just have it exchanged.

VivoBon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2007, 06:09 PM

I've had my phone for approximately 3 months and I have the same bubbles, the first one was about 3 weeks ago and now just this week two more formed. Please post what you find out trying to replace it. There's also discoloration on my screen on the lower right side, sort of a yellow-ish tint on a white background and a white-ish tint on a dark background.

mickhyperion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2007, 12:50 AM

My iPhone just developed two bubbles under the glass, as well. They just appeared yesterday. They are in a very prominent location (directly over the contextual button that appears in the upper right corner of the screen), so I'm sure they weren't there before. I baby this thing and have been so proud of the fact that even after having owned it for 4 months now (purchased the day they came out) that there was still not a blemish anywhere on it, even though I do not have it in any sort of case. It has never been dropped or abused, traveling safely in its own private pocket wherever I go (I don't even put ATM receipts in there). Now I'm debating whether I should return it or not, just because I do not want to go through any hassles to do it. I'm very interested to see how others fair trying to get theirs replaced. Seems like the 1 year manufacturing warranty should fully cover this issue, but you never know...

terryshaw09
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2007, 03:26 PM

dang that sucks i would be so pissed if that happend to me.

amyjones09
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2007, 05:07 PM

i dont have an iphone but this seems to be a big issue with alot of them.

Cold Warrior
Oct 19, 2007, 05:08 PM

pictures anyone?

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
pictures anyone?
Agree, I just got to reading this thread and it seems like a major problem, but then again...

It is dreams that will survive, for a dream is immortal.

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2007, 12:12 PM

They replaced mine in less than two minutes at the Genius Bar. Easy as could be. I just had to wait a day as they didn't have any same-day appointments available.

kman

VivoBon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2007, 09:55 PM

I posted a while back about the bubbles under my screen. They replaced it with no questions asked, and I walked out the door with a brand new phone. HOWEVER, I've now had the replacement about a month and there are four bubbles under this screen! At the Apple store, they said that one of the "Geniuses" (the techs) had the same problem, and now I'm hearing more and more about it...so I'm assuming it's just a general manufacturing defect. Has anyone heard anything about this being recognized by Apple or any effort to remedy the problem?

mickhyperion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 01:33 AM

After being out of town for a while, I was able to see a Genius and exchange my phone today. No problems at all. He said he had heard of this problem but hadn't seen it himself before. I'll be keeping a close eye on the new one to see if it develops the same problem.

mickhyperion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2007, 08:36 PM

Just had to return the second phone. Not because of bubbles, but because the battery wouldn't hold a charge. It was dead as a doornail when I first got it (should have been my and the Genius's first clue), but after 3 times fully charging it, it wouldn't give me more than 2 hrs of light usage and 8 hours of standby. They took it back with no problem once again. Fingers crossed for phone #3.

Honestly, this was my worst fear returning the original phone. Except for the bubbles it had been absolutely perfect for 5 months. Getting a new one is like playing russian roulette given all the other things that could be wrong with it. I really don't want to seem picky so I hope this will be my last exchange.

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2008, 03:00 PM

In the past month, I've seen two of these bubbles appear under the glass on my 4 GB iPhone, near the battery indicator icon; they started off looking like dead pixels and eventually expanded into obvious bubbles. Sending mine for replacement tomorrow.

splitcom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2008, 08:53 PM

I have had two phones replaced by bubbles under the glass. Honestly I think they come up because I am rough on the phone and drop it alot. But they do a great job in looking at it and replacing it. They say its rare, but I am on my third 1st gen iphone in a year. THey will stop replacing it after the warranty is up they say...

dawho9
Senior User
Oct 15, 2008, 11:46 PM

As many others I've also had the same problem and like others I walked into an Apple Store and they replaced it in seconds (heck - my wife dropped her phone last week on the garage floor and shattered the screen and they replaced it no questions asked). But I do think it's an increasing problem. I had my G1 replaced twice for the bubbles and I figure my wife's would have done it if she didn't break it every 4 months.

dw9
- Intel iMac 20' Core Duo - 1GB RAM
- Technology Blog) http://portalxp.org/Web/blogs/rbrynteson/

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2008, 12:38 AM

Dudes !

-t

philm
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2008, 11:52 AM

Check out these bubbles on my iPhone

(I'm here all week).

iChris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2008, 05:34 PM

That looks serious!
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Forum Links
Forum Rules