Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac DV - Restarting off the DVD drive? (Apple + Tab ???)

iMac DV - Restarting off the DVD drive? (Apple + Tab ???)
Unclej78
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2000, 01:19 AM

I have a iMac DV w/OS 8.6. I use the key command (Apple + Tab) in some of my applications and want to disable that function. WHERE?????????

Also, I would like to know how to make the DVD drive use a CD as a startup disc. (ex. Norton Utilites, ect.)
-------
AIM: UNCLEJ78
12" Powerbook 1ghz, 768mb, B&W 400 w/Panther, Grape iMac G3 400, Beige MT, Couple of 8500's & Lower

Wetsponge
Mar 7, 2000, 12:40 PM

There are applications such as "switcher powerup" i believe is the name that will allow you to disable the command+tab option. i don't have any experience starting off of a dvd-rom, but i suppose you can try holding down the "c" key while a system cd/dvd is in the cd/dvd drive.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2000, 09:03 PM

There are many ways to do this, including the built-in AppleScript via Mac OS Help.
One utility (again, there are a few) I like is "Prestissimo 1.5".
Goto: http://www.versiontracker.com

Scott

Misha
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2000, 11:21 PM

As scott suggested, search for "Application Switcher" in Mac OS Help (Apple-? in the Finder). At the bottom click on the last possible link, that will lead you to the option to disable the application switcher

Also, if you system CD has a HyperCard Update folder inside the CD Extras folder, there is a stack in there that will let you do the same thing.

As far as booting off a CD goes, insert the CD and then hold down 'c' as the iMac boots up. Be aware, however, that of all the disk utilities only Disk Warrior 2.0 has the necessary files on the CD to boot the new iMacs.

Unclej78  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2000, 06:56 PM

I did find the App. switcher script but only after posting the message!

Thanks for your help!
-------
AIM: UNCLEJ78
12" Powerbook 1ghz, 768mb, B&W 400 w/Panther, Grape iMac G3 400, Beige MT, Couple of 8500's & Lower

Forum Links
Forum Rules