Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is Third-Party RAM Reliable?

Is Third-Party RAM Reliable?
macintologist
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2006, 12:33 PM

I want to buy a Macbook from the Apple online store. Upgrading to 2GB BTO is $450 education pricing.

At Crucial it's $360 and at Ramjet (http://www.ramjet.com/ItemDescription.asp?Item=MBIB2G) it it's $260

Should I be cautious about using RAM from Crucial or Ramjet or do a lot of you do it and never had any problems?

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2006, 12:40 PM

All of those places are ripping you off. Two 1 GB SODIMMS of PC2-5300 are like $105 CAD ... so about $190 USD for both. I remember someone here mentioning that an online retailer is selling MB/MBP-compatible RAM for something like $160.

"Third-party" is just as reliable as what Apple sells you, since Apple doesn't actually make their own RAM. I believe they resell Crucial.

jsousa
Jun 6, 2006, 01:10 PM

I bought patrtiot ram and it has been absolutlye fabulous.

thag-simmons
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 01:15 PM

Added a 1GB stick to my 2.16 MBP from OMNI Technologies, and no problems so far, even under heavy CPU load.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2006, 03:28 PM

I have had very little trouble with RAM, even generic brand. Just make sure it has a life-time warranty incase it fails or doesn't work. Once once did I have to return some "value" RAM from 1800Memory, but they refunded the total price. I then bought the same RAM from Crucial (although a lot more expensive, but it was for a client so it didn't matter) and it worked fine.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2006, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by jdrumstik
I bought patrtiot ram and it has been absolutlye fabulous.
Does it run at the full 667 speed, or does it slow to 533?
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

cambie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Elf
Does it run at the full 667 speed, or does it slow to 533?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubCategory=381
Check there. Read the reviews, and choose. And yes it runs at full speed. i got the patriot also.

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2006, 09:21 PM

I got my RAM at OWC. I have not had any problems with it at all. I have had it for a few months now.

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2006, 02:32 AM

Wow I can get 2GB for the Macbook for 160 bucks from newegg. Is it reliable though?? I don't want to blow that money on junk ram.

andgarden
Jun 8, 2006, 10:19 PM

Yes, it's fine.

drewcifer
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2006, 10:37 PM

i got an extra gig of crucial on sale at newegg for 135 $
works perfect.
Macbook Pro 15" (fully spec'd out)

...waiting for 6g ipods.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2006, 01:19 AM

Got 2x1GB from Mushkin a couple weeks ago and I've been very happy since. Try searching for deals in RAM. OWC, Omni, Data Memory Systems, and others sell it for far cheaper, and all of them back their products with decent warranties.

global
Baninated
Jun 9, 2006, 04:18 AM

Unless something has changed, Apple uses Samsung RAM - and screws you for almost double
the actual cost.

I have purchased RAM from owc (macsales.com) three different times - prices were great
and the RAM is still going strong. Lifetime advance replacement waranty covers me if i ever
have any problem.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2006, 04:55 AM

Third-party RAM is usually trustworthy. It seems like Macs have a bigger problem with crappy RAM than PCs do. I wouldn't go bargain-basement, but top o' the line is usually a pretty big ripoff. Personally, I like Crucial. Most of the problems that I have had with RAM were due to my overclocking it. My Crucial RAM has never done me wrong. I had some Infineon RAM once, and that was utter crap.

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2006, 10:35 AM

Apple is no longer exclusively using Samsung as far as I know. Stuff like OWC and Mushkin is major-on-major quality, but my understanding is that most of it now can come not only from Samsung but also Hynix, Infineon and Micron among others.

I think they're just gouging on the 2GB upgrades, both with the MacBook Pro and MacBook. There's no longer that kind of premium for 1GB sticks over 512.

Forum Links
Forum Rules