Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Powerbook owners got screwed!

New Powerbook owners got screwed! (Page 2)
xGrape
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by aapljack:
All this bellyachin' is pointless. Everyone in this forum knew Panther was coming. Everyone knew it was close to completion. All of you could have waited until you knew for sure what the upgrade paths were. As I remember, before the Powerbooks were released everyone was mad cause they weren't out yet. Then everyone ordered them and was mad they hadn't shipped yet. Now everyone is mad cause they don't get Panther for free. Are people in these forums ever satisfied?

Just remember, Apple spends a lot of money on OS upgrades and R&D. If we all want Apple to succeed, we need to support $129 upgrades to the OS. It is not *that* much money. And most people on here are students and will get a reduced rate anyway.

I for one am happy to pay for Panther. I don't expect Apple to hand out software just because I purchased my Powerbook last month. That is ridiculous.

-b
I couldn't agree more.

What I am complaining about though, is not the fact we have to pay (heck, I'll get my free copy through ADC anyway) - but the fact that PowerBook users and G5 users are treated different. Oh, and the fact that for as long as I can remember, all Macs (and OSes) have shipped with three (3) of these "software upgrade coupons" that would give you a free upgrade (as in $20 for S&H) within a certain time of purchase. I suppose maybe the G5s were the last Macs to have this? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
12" PowerBook, 1GHz, 1.25 GB RAM, 60 GB HD, Dell 20" Widescreen

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 11:45 AM

I got mt 15" less than 3 weeks ago and I don't feel like spending another $129 on it but I guess I will. If I were getting it now I would cancel and then reorder. I really wouldn't mind all of this if everyone had to pay for the upgrade rather than giving the G5 buyers the break and no one else.

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 11:48 AM

I would suggest that everyone stop crying like little girls. You all knew Panther was coming as I did, but i decided to wait. Whatever Apple says or does... YOU KNEW IT WAS COMING. Ask yourself, did you really need a PB right now?

I thought i did but thankfully i cancelled my order and thought everything out, i was even prepared to pay the educational price for it, because i knew it was coming.

Apple don't owe you anything, besides the way people are carrying on its as though Panther isn't worth the $129 you have to pay for.

So what if G5 owners get a better deal, suck it up, moaning on a forum isn't going to do anything but piss each of yourselves off.
Also Apple are not screwing anybody, you don't make the rules, so cancel your orders if need be or shut up and pay the price, if you "REALLY" NEED it.

*awaiting flames*
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

sbdaigo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 11:49 AM

I just love this site, but people, don�t get you underwear all bunched up! We all know the deal - we all KNEW that Pather was coming out and somewhere in our minds we decided that we wanted our new Power Books more - just check out all us grown people out here looking for the Airborne or FedEx truck like they were Santa Clause.

With that in mind, Apple is in business, plain and simple. They are nowhere NEAR M$ in their practices, and they don�t really owe us anything. They give us a FENOM in an OS, they give us KICK�N apps (iMov, iDVD, iTunes - etc), and they give us our monies worth on the hardware. SO, if you wanted Panther for free, then USE YOUR HEAD - order your new computer when it (Panther) was released - it is that simple and we all know it.

As for me - coming from the Windoz side of life - I today ordered the family pack - I want to be legit and right and support Apple like I do shareware.

I don�t mean at all to be critical, but the childish bashing needs to stop. We did not �get screwed� - this is life. People should get paid for the work they do.

James L
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 11:56 AM

Well said!

janmc
Oct 8, 2003, 12:04 PM

I accept what you're saying - but I am annoyed that I have 2 weeks at least before my Powerbook is in my hands, but I'm not entitled to the free upgrade.

On another subject - is the ADC discount only valid in the US/Canada, or are there any European users out there?

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2003, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by aapljack:
All this bellyachin' is pointless. Everyone in this forum knew Panther was coming.
All I'm asking is why do the G5 purchasers get special treatment? I'm happy for them but do not understand the policy.

madhu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 12:07 PM

Neat usage of words....you're right....they give us for what we've pais and even more if you see....also, the upgrade for $20 is also a good one that the apple is providing....think about it guys... :-)

12" AlPowerBook, 40GB, 758 MBRAM....waiting for a iPod :-)

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 12:09 PM

You're completely right. As I was reading through the posts above, I couldn't help but wonder what is expected by the consumer. You'll get exactly what you ordered and thereby paid for. To expect more after the fact is pure greed. Apple, afterall, is a business. And like all businesses, to remain in business, you have to make money. You can't make money if you give your product away for free. (as a side note, there are a number of "free" apps that you do get with a Mac that I, for one, love�iCal, iTunes...too many people take these applications for granted. They're not part of the OS, Apple could easily sell them to all of us and make even more money, but, they don't)

Apple will balance their desire to stay in business and make money with offering good will customer service by offering discounts to those that purchase after Oct. 8 but don't get the latest OS. They had to determine a breakoff point for when the new OS would be considered standard on the new machines. It would appear as though it will be sometime after Oct. 8.

And, my final thought on this subject would be: If they had waited to release the new PowerBook simultaneously with the new OS, there would have been major complaints about delays, rumors of problems with the machines, blah, blah, blah... And, conversly, if they would have rushed the release of the new OS, there would be complaints that if they hadn't rushed it, there wouldn't be this bug or that bug.

Originally posted by James L:
...It says that people who purchased a machine AFTER October 8 can upgrade for $19.95. The new Powerbooks are listed in the "Qualifying new Macintosh" section, for example this is the code for the 15" Superdrive model:

M8981LL/A

So, anyone who bought a machine after the 8th WILL qualify for the cheap upgrade fee.

For the people who bought a machine say, in September, you didn't get screwed...that's life!

If I buy a 2003 truck from Ford or Chevy, then a month later the 2004 trucks come out I certainly can't go into the dealership and have a temper tantrum about it. I knew that new ones were coming, I chose to purchase when I did. My choice, my bed to lie in.

I don't get, however, why the G5 people get the cheap upgrade regardless of purchase date...that seems like a joke. As mentioned above, one rule for everyone!
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2003, 12:09 PM

One possible reason why the G5 users get a different deal is that Panther was substantially designed with G5 architecture in mind. It could be that Apple's attitude is that they are so "meant" to go together that Apple felt it would be inappropriate to charge for the upgrades.

Whether that's true or not is somewhat irrelevant. It's ALWAYS been the case that Apple's been somewhat bad when it comes to "free" upgrades on system software. And besides, the new PowerBooks are a pretty sweet deal anyway, so if you pay $129 more for your PowerBook + Panther, I think you still got a good deal....
( Last edited by John123; Oct 9, 2003 at 01:26 PM. )

madhu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 12:15 PM

well said brother john...well said...i echo your words..

madhu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 12:17 PM

I am a avid Pc user just about shifting to a Mac. I would be purchasing a 12" Al.Pb within the end of this month...I am very excited...and a jaguar itself is a neat OS to start with....and my other friends who are oldies with Mac are quite happy with it too....
yes, thay are waiting for the panther....but no one has any regrets for paying for Jaguar...it was a damn good deal they got and what the others are still getting.....

eScrib  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 12:20 PM

I see everyone's point(s)...

BUT...

1) Not all people that buy Macs monitor the Mac forums. I guarentee there are peoople out there that are feeling cheated who don't read these sites, just as much as I do.

2) Why give the G5 people benefit over the others? Crap... I can go blow $3K on a desktop or laptop. Why differentiate?

I'm not all about free lunches, and yeah I did know Panther was imminent. But treat all new hardware byers the same. I've had my laptop in my hands for less than 100 hours!!! And I'm expected to pay $129 for something that people who paid the SAME amount (for a desktop) can get for $19.95???

That's my beef...

madhu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by eScrib:
I see everyone's point(s)...

BUT...

1) Not all people that buy Macs monitor the Mac forums. I guarentee there are peoople out there that are feeling cheated who don't read these sites, just as much as I do.

2) Why give the G5 people benefit over the others? Crap... I can go blow $3K on a desktop or laptop. Why differentiate?

I'm not all about free lunches, and yeah I did know Panther was imminent. But treat all new hardware byers the same. I've had my laptop in my hands for less than 100 hours!!! And I'm expected to pay $129 for something that people who paid the SAME amount (for a desktop) can get for $19.95???

That's my beef...
Is that a PB??? the reason is because they let our their Gold Edition only the day before....so how can they have decided when to roll out for production??/ and also if they gave you the beta edition...there would be bugs which would have been rectified for the Gold edition....and like said, it might have been specifically tailored keeping in mind of G5 users....but now, they might have tweaked it for other users too....

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 12:45 PM

If enough people bring this up to Apple, they WILL make a change to it. The consumers has the powers, not the company.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

s0litude
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 12:48 PM

I have a question. I just got my POWERBOOK recently and got three of those green coupons in my box. Does that entitle me to free panther? Please let me know, i'm an apple Noob!
Hi!

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2003, 12:50 PM

assasyn, I am a student member of ADC, and because of this, I did not recieve any Panther beta's, because I guess you have to be a ADC 'premier' or something like that. I just have the stadard 99 dollar subscription. I know a copy of jaguar shipped to me when I signed up, but I thought that was like a sign up bonus, are you sure I will be getting a copy of Panter?

CJG86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 12:51 PM

I called apple to order panther and the person I was talking to said that instead of paying the 130 I could get the 20 dollar update offer becuase he said since my powerbook had not shipped and he said that the purchase date is when the item is actually shipped. He said that this is how it was with Jaguar. I asked him to ask a supervisor just to make sure. He asked and told me that it would be fine.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 12:58 PM

None of you got "screwed". You knew what OS you would be getting with your computer when you ordered it. You knew that Panther would be coming out soon. You got what you paid for.

Would it be nice if Apple did something for the people who have recently purchased or ordered computers? Of course it would but they are under no obligation to do so.
Agent69

janmc
Oct 8, 2003, 12:59 PM

I got a different answer from the Apple sales people in Ireland, and I also asked them to double check. I even spoke to their customer care person. But I'm hoping that they're wrong and the ones you asked are right!

songoku912
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Fellow2000:
assasyn, I am a student member of ADC, and because of this, I did not recieve any Panther beta's, because I guess you have to be a ADC 'premier' or something like that. I just have the stadard 99 dollar subscription. I know a copy of jaguar shipped to me when I signed up, but I thought that was like a sign up bonus, are you sure I will be getting a copy of Panter?
I have the same question. Will Panther go out to student ADC members as well?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by s0litude:
I have a question. I just got my POWERBOOK recently and got three of those green coupons in my box. Does that entitle me to free panther? Please let me know, i'm an apple Noob!
You get the vouchers with every purchase... they really mean nothing.

Unless you purchased after the 8th you have to pay

To everyone else out there, my beef is the G5 exemption...

WHY?

Yep, there is the argument that the G5 and Panther should go together, but that means that Apple view their customers of different products with different priority, which I can't see as being right...

I bought a Ti at the start of September after being told of delay upon delay on my BTO G5 order here in the UK... I cancelled my order as I needed a machine quickly and I instead chose a Powerbook...

If I had bought the G5, I would now get a free copy of of Panther, but because I spent EXACTLY the same amount of money, via the same process, just on another machine, I have to pay the extra �70...

There is surely something inequitable about this. I would be seething if I had waited for an Alu and was forced to buy the upgrade.

I have no problem with Apple placing a cut off date on an upgrade path, Apple are in business... fine. BUT make it a level playing field for everyone. There is no reason why 2 people who spent the same amount of money, with the same company, for a *similar (computer) product on the same day, received the same warranty etc, should be treated differently.

The situation is manifestly unfair.

Peace,

Marc

Agent69
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by janmc:
I accept what you're saying - but I am annoyed that I have 2 weeks at least before my Powerbook is in my hands, but I'm not entitled to the free upgrade.
This policy does seem stupid with orders that have not yet shipped, as people will cancel them and reorder to get that upgrade. You would think that Apple would want to avoid the time and trouble this would cause them.
Agent69

Cop Rock
Oct 8, 2003, 01:19 PM

I think it's really disappointing to see Apple go downhill like this. I expect this sort of behavior from Microsoft, not Apple. (I know MacOS X costs much less than XP, but at least Microsoft offers the option of an upgrade ($160) as opposed to full price ($300) for existing customers.)

If you're upset about this please let Apple know. Send email to Steve (I think [email protected] still works) and leave feedback at http://www.apple.com/contact/feedback.html

Be polite and explain why you think this is a mistake.

Don't forget, the latest iPhoto and iTunes were originally going to be $50 as part of iLife for everybody, but customer outrage helped fix that.

Quinn
Oct 8, 2003, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by CJG86:
I called apple to order panther and the person I was talking to said that instead of paying the 130 I could get the 20 dollar update offer becuase he said since my powerbook had not shipped and he said that the purchase date is when the item is actually shipped. He said that this is how it was with Jaguar. I asked him to ask a supervisor just to make sure. He asked and told me that it would be fine.
I was told EXACTLY the same thing by the AppleStore UK. Purchase date is the date the mac ships. So, if it has not shipped yet, you are entitled to the upgrade.

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2003, 01:40 PM

In the UK Panther is priced at �99! (about $150). What is going on? Looks like BitTorrent will be popular over coming months...

Blackstealth
Oct 8, 2003, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Quinn:
I was told EXACTLY the same thing by the AppleStore UK. Purchase date is the date the mac ships. So, if it has not shipped yet, you are entitled to the upgrade.
Hope that's right. Even so I still have to order a legit copy for my MDD...

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by MusicalTone:
In the UK Panther is priced at �99! (about $150). What is going on? Looks like BitTorrent will be popular over coming months...
I was just thinking the same thing...
( Last edited by The Placid Casual; Oct 8, 2003 at 01:51 PM. )

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 01:45 PM

Some people have to resort to piracy? No wonder Windows has Product Activation and heaps more DRM coming around the corner.

Pirating software spoils it for everyone, you losers.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by CrackedButter:
Some people have to resort to piracy? No wonder Windows has Product Activation and heaps more DRM coming around the corner.

Pirating software spoils it for everyone, you losers.
Don't be an idiot.

No-one here is resorting to piracy.

We were merely commenting on the possible increased usage of Bit Torrent over the next few months.

Oh and if you intend to contribute to forums, just a thought, but reading in association with comprehension may be a bonus...

Oh, and one more thing... I am not a loser and never have been or will be. You know nothing about me, and therefore have no idea who it is you're conversing with.

Cheap insults? Don't even go there...

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2003, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by Cop Rock:
Don't forget, the latest iPhoto and iTunes were originally going to be $50 as part of iLife for everybody, but customer outrage helped fix that.
That is what the rumors said. We have no way of knowing if that was the plan. And remember, they do charge $50 for iLife if you want iDVD or don't want the hassle of downloading it.

I don't believe that Apple was planning on making everyone pay for iLife (excluding iDVD).

-b

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2003, 01:56 PM

I know there is lots of whining here but this is why I am so peesed, Hence letter to Apple:

This one of the huge problems of software update, 10.2.8

*****The only way I solved what you are experiencing (happened exactly the same to me for 10 days-was getting like trick or treat-what next? sort of), was to:

1. Restart; hold down command (apple key) and 's' key. When the desk top comes up in command mode type /sbin/fsck -y (space -y) when it finishes back at prompt, type exit. After you get to OSX desktop, run repair permissions from application/disk utilty/repair permissions. If this was too much detail sorry. you probably knew this already.

2. Run the install disk DVD and Install OSX (10.2.7) choosing to archive and install. I chose to skip all foreign fonts and only chose printer drivers for printers I use and own. Took 9 mins on 17"1.33 Book.

4. I then chose to install 10.2.8 combo (disk image) from Apple's site and not from Software Update (I burned the 10.2.8 disk image to its' own CD - 97 mb). This is what ended a week of Kernel Panics more plentiful than a bag of popcorn kernels. It was the only process that worked completely without further incident.
I have been panic free for over 24 hours (knock, knock, knock on wood). Also did my flat panel iMac without further ado as well.

Your mileage may vary. I hope this helps you. It is a sick feeling when everyone else's Book is working fine, and yours isn't. I still think Apple dropped the ball big time leaving out level 3 cache and have yet to hear a plausible excuse err.. reason why*****

Now why in the heck should I have to pay for 10.3 when you release a updater like this??

Come on Steve,

I have to have this rig cranking, not bombing..:-)
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

pinkjelly
Fresh-Faced Recruit

Originally posted by StevenWRX:
is your order still saying "open"?

damn, this is getting really frustrating... Apple, just hurry up and ship ours!
yup, still "open"...
i second your thoughts; i want to hurry up and get rid of my enormous wintel laptop

icruise
Moderator Emeritus

Just to echo what some people have implied, I think the reason the G5s get the free upgrade is that they were advertised as being "the fastest computer on the planet" but the G5 doesn't truly get to strut its stuff, speedwise, without Panther.

I can just smell a class-action lawsuit there, can't you? The PowerBooks are clearly a different case. Sure, it's annoying if you just purchased your machine, but I don't think it's a case of Apple just playing favorites or acting irrationally.

eScrib  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by Agent69:
Would it be nice if Apple did something for the people who have recently purchased or ordered computers? Of course it would but they are under no obligation to do so.

I see... So Apple just plays favorites instead by giving the G5 owners an opportunity to move to Panther REGARDLES of purchase date and screwing the people who JUST bought a PowerBook.

Make sense.

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
Don't be an idiot.

No-one here is resorting to piracy.

We were merely commenting on the possible increased usage of Bit Torrent over the next few months.

Oh and if you intend to contribute to forums, just a thought, but reading in association with comprehension may be a bonus...

Oh, and one more thing... I am not a loser and never have been or will be. You know nothing about me, and therefore have no idea who it is you're conversing with.

Cheap insults? Don't even go there...
But you call me an idiot? Double standards methinks?

Comprehend what I AM SAYING...those cheap insults apply to people who are going to use Bit Torrent and have themselves a copy of Panther...so if you D-O-N-'-T C-O-P-Y then you ARE NOT a loser..get it? See how that works now?

Also if people ARE hacked off about the release of Panther and mention Bit Torrent in the same post then what is one to assume, they are going to be downloading Yellow Tab instead, as some sort of protest? Get real, its obvious what was meant, no use in trying to hide it.

You can also get off your high horse now as well, as if this was a personal attack. You of course don't know who you are talking to either, like that wasn't obvious.

Finally...

All i do know is that i am talking to someone who cannot read plainly worded english and seems to have taken it a bit personal because he thought i was referring to him when he might be stealing somebody else's property.

If you need to have the last word then fine, reply. I won't be...but you can make it look good for the rest of the posters i suppose if you get off on that and like having an audience watch you lay the slap down on somebody online.

pknoll
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by John123:
One possible reason why the G5 users get a different deal is that Panther was substantially designed with G5 architecture in mind.
I think this is exactly the case - the hardware was ready before the OS designed to run on it, so they started selling them with a custom 10.2 build to run on it (10.2.7), until 10.3 was available.

Perhaps Apple could have been more informative to the G5 owners ("you'll get 10.3 when it comes out") and Powerbook buyers ("you will -not- get 10.3") but they were not. Not much more to it.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.7GHz / 2GB / X800XT
PowerMac G3 400MHz / 896MB
PowerBook G4 1GHz / 1GB
iBook SE G3 466MHz / 576MB

nighttraitor
Oct 8, 2003, 02:23 PM

Check this out, hope it works for some of you.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...threadid=40958
"Is it because he's a horse?! Or because he has BLINDERS ON?!?!?!"

joe_kr
Oct 8, 2003, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by nighttraitor:
Check this out, hope it works for some of you.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...threadid=40958
you have to read down to get to the meat of it. Basically, people are qualifying for up-to-date even with powerbooks ordered before the 8th

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2003, 03:02 PM

Oops, looks like some here took my reference to BitTorrent the wrong way. I wasn't condoning piracy but rather alluding to a probable consequence of such a harsh pricing regime for Panther in the UK.

Remember, it is Apple after all that has made the case so eloquently for giving the customer what they want with the ITMS.

Personally I will no doubt buy a copy in a few months time - once the initial bugs have been worked out - and feel a bit ripped off on the price.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by eScrib:
I see... So Apple just plays favorites instead by giving the G5 owners an opportunity to move to Panther REGARDLES of purchase date and screwing the people who JUST bought a PowerBook.

Make sense.

Your Powerbook haven't been shipped yet right? if so, than you DO get the discount for Panther. You should be happy right now, your worries are over.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

eScrib  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by nobitacu:
Your Powerbook haven't been shipped yet right? if so, than you DO get the discount for Panther. You should be happy right now, your worries are over.

Ming
No I have mine... It came Saturday.

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2003, 03:11 PM

YOUR WORRIES ARE OVER!!!!

I bought my PBG4 17 rev B on the 28th, it DID qualify for the $19.95 upgrade.

Here's how:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

Qoute:

"I just followed the link on the up-to-date page and entered my s/n for my alpowerbook I received last week and it worked. Even though the $20 is for "shipping" it still charges me $4.50 for normal shipping. When you enter the s/n omit the " - "

...already got my web order Number!!!
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

Super Glitcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2003, 03:32 PM

20% off one time purchase? Time to enrol in a 1 unit class at LBCC baby!
"Thank you Mario, but our princess is in another castle."

hengx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by Quinn:
I hope that you're right! YAY!!! If that's the case then I'll get an upgrade to Panther for about 20 bucks

Mine PB is still at the factory, being assembled. My creditcard hasn't been charged yet, so I suppose I'm entitled to an upgrade.
--hengx

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2003, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Cop Rock:
/me throws out the BS flag.

Umm, no. I just recently watched the keynote where Jobs announced iLife, and he clearly stated iLife was $50 in stores to simply cover iDVD, and the rest of the apps were free on the web. Also iTunes 3 (the version that first supported the iLife bundle) was already out for free before iLife was announced.
<This space under renovation>

Quinn
Oct 8, 2003, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by hengx:
I hope that you're right! YAY!!! If that's the case then I'll get an upgrade to Panther for about 20 bucks

Mine PB is still at the factory, being assembled. My creditcard hasn't been charged yet, so I suppose I'm entitled to an upgrade.
Just ring Apple and confirm it yourself. I got them to double-check and note that I had called just in case there was any problems in the future.

However, at this rate, Panther will most likely be ON my PowerBook when it arrives.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by Drakino:
/me throws out the BS flag.

Umm, no. I just recently watched the keynote where Jobs announced iLife, and he clearly stated iLife was $50 in stores to simply cover iDVD, and the rest of the apps were free on the web. Also iTunes 3 (the version that first supported the iLife bundle) was already out for free before iLife was announced.
The $49 dollar iLife package was leaked 3 or 4 days before the Keynote.

Steve basically played a bit of " CYA / No Sweat / That would have been bad PR " while giving the spiel.

The furor that caused his words to be such is what the original poster refers to.

T

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2003, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by Daniel Bayer:
YOUR WORRIES ARE OVER!!!!

I bought my PBG4 17 rev B on the 28th, it DID qualify for the $19.95 upgrade.

Here's how:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

Qoute:

"I just followed the link on the up-to-date page and entered my s/n for my alpowerbook I received last week and it worked. Even though the $20 is for "shipping" it still charges me $4.50 for normal shipping. When you enter the s/n omit the " - "

...already got my web order Number!!!
Yup, my 15" stock model ordered on 9/16 also qualified. Will see of the order goes through to shipping, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2003, 05:45 PM

Well it sucks but here is the difference.

Some of those G5 owners have waited a flipping long time for their computers. PowerBook owners could get theirs a lot faster. Also the G5 probably takes advantage of panther in many ways despite its not 64bit optimized OS. It still can take advantage. We cried about jaguar too, but these guys worked hard give them the money. Its not like you have never had a good deal from apple before. I can understand why people are mad, but you will get over it. Nothing is for free. Apple made 10.1 free for good reason. 10.0 sucked and 10.1 made it faster and more usable. 10.1 was like 1.0 of the system. Get over it because from the way it looks this time the next update no one will get any special deals. Im getting my copy for 69 bucks. I paid full price for jaguar. Definitely worth the money. Sit back and cry or just get over it and shave some money off.

When you think about my reasoning that is why G5 users get it for free.

those who bought edu should shut their yaps. Especially if you got a practically free iPod. Who are you to complain. I mean come on... You saved a lot of money; I know I did. Use that to buy panther.

However I feel bad for those who didnt get this deal, and can't get a good deal on panther.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

Forum Links
Forum Rules