Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How do u create dmgs in oS 10.2 ??

How do u create dmgs in oS 10.2 ??
Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2002, 03:33 AM

It seems OS 10.2 has changed the way to create dmgs. I used to be able to name and use files that started with a ".", now OS 10.2 refuses to let me do that. Can anyone help me create a dmg? I'd like it to have a background image and for that background image file to be invisible to the user.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2002, 05:30 AM

There are lots of ways to make .dmg's.

1. Disk Copy

2. hdiutil (in the terminal - type man hdiutil to learn how to use it)

3. DMG Tool, DMG Maker, DropDMG, etc. (all available from VersionTracker)

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2002, 05:44 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
There are lots of ways to make .dmg's.

1. Disk Copy

2. hdiutil (in the terminal - type man hdiutil to learn how to use it)

3. DMG Tool, DMG Maker, DropDMG, etc. (all available from VersionTracker)
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I know how to create a disk image...I want to know how to customize a dmg. Add a background pic..

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 13, 2002, 06:30 AM

Actually, the title of this thread is "how do you create dmgs", not "how do I make invisible files". So chill.

Anyway, copy the file, and then use the Terminal to rename it:
Code:
mv currentfilename newfilename
I just tested it, and it does let you make files beginning with a period ("dot files") in 10.2.

However, you can't select an invisible file as the background picture, at least not with the Finder. Selecting the file and then renaming it afterwards to make it invisible doesn't work, either, so you may need to look for some other way of achieving the effect you want. (How about a folder with a transparent icon, and only spaces as the name?) Maybe a utility exists for this purpose.

tooki

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 13, 2002, 10:55 AM

Alternatively, if your not comfortable with the terminal you can use Tinker Tool to show hidden system files, this way you can just rename the file in the Finder with the name .background after you copy it to the dmg and set it as the background. You have to set permissions to read-only after you rename it to .background then close the dmg window and reopen it. This kind of "sets" the preferences. Then just choose to not show hidden files in Tinker Tool and open the dmg back up and your baclground will be there while the file which it uses is invisible.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2002, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
Alternatively, if your not comfortable with the terminal you can use Tinker Tool to show hidden system files, this way you can just rename the file in the Finder with the name .background after you copy it to the dmg and set it as the background. You have to set permissions to read-only after you rename it to .background then close the dmg window and reopen it. This kind of "sets" the preferences. Then just choose to not show hidden files in Tinker Tool and open the dmg back up and your baclground will be there while the file which it uses is invisible.
But the finder doesn't let you set invisible files as a background image

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 13, 2002, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by Dace:

But the finder doesn't let you set invisible files as a background image
No set it as the background before you make it invisible. Trust me, this is how I do it because I am not handy with the terminal.

If you download one of my themes and see the .dmg background you will see, that is how I created it. Choose "show hidden files" with Tinker Tool and oila, there is my background image.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2002, 08:34 PM

No set it as the background before you make it invisible. Trust me, this is how I do it because I am not handy with the terminal.

If you download one of my themes and see the .dmg background you will see, that is how I created it. Choose "show hidden files" with Tinker Tool and oila, there is my background image.
I'll try it, but if u rename the file doesn't the finder not find it?

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 14, 2002, 02:40 AM

Read my new method below.
( Last edited by swiz; Dec 22, 2002 at 10:07 PM. )

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2002, 03:00 AM

That is the tricky part. I'll go through step by step what I do to make it work now and do it as I write it to be sure its correct( I was out the door eariler so I couldnt do it then.)

Let me preface this by saying. Dont ask me how but the following sequence has worked for me many times, BUT sometimes I just cant get it to fly

1.Open Disk Copy, choose "File-> New Blank Image".
Name it and choose 40mb for the size (its arbitrary for now).

2.Select the mounted image you just created and hit "Command+Option+I" to bring up the single window dynamic Get Info box just so you can assure your permissions are what you want throughout the process. For now they should be Read/Write.
Leave the Get Info window until your all done (for safety's sake)

3.Open the mounted disk image and copy the image you want to use as the background onto it.Name it background.tiff (For examples sake)

4.Make sure your mounted images window is active and select "View->View Options from the Finder menubar. Choose "Backgroundicture". Select your picture on your disk image. Close the View Options window.

5.Open Tinker Tool and choose "Show Hidden System files".

6.Go back to the mounted images window and rename the .background.tiff .You'll see a warning, tell it to do it, then you'll see the background disappear. Close the window, then open it back up and the background will be there again. Now goto the Get Info window and change the permissions to Read Only.

Go back to Tinker Tool and choose to not show Hidden System Files.

Open it back up once or twice to ensure that it is "keeping". Then select tha actual .dmg file and change its permissions to Read Only. Now unmount the disk image. Then remount it to affirm it has stuck.

7. Now Use Disk Copy to File-> Convert Image. To Read Only. Just to make it official.

8. Use this .dmg as your template. Every time you want to use the template you will choose File->Convert Image to Read/Write, and copy your files to it. Then change the permissions to Read Only when all files are copied. Open/Close the window a couple times to ensure its all there. Then unmount it and goto Disk Copy, choose File->Convert Image, convert it to Compressed.

9. Your done.

It is a VERY tedious process that must ABSOLUTELY be followed to a T otherwise it will leave you unbelievably frustrated as it still does from time to tiime for me.

I think I should just learn to do it with the terminal.
Thanks I got it to work. Wasn't too hard. Needed to do it so I could release the "Grey Jaguar" theme

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 22, 2002, 10:06 PM

Sorry to those who hate rehashing dead threads but you are also the ones who bitch about too many similar active threads.

The easiest way I have found to do this is the following:

1.Open Tinker Tool, Choose show hidden and system files.

2.Create a read/writeable new disk image with Disk Copy.

3.Create a folder on it named whatever you want so long as it starts with a period .

4.Place your background image in the folder.

5.In the view options dialog in the Finder choose background pic and type in the location of the image.
For example:
/Volumes/SS_Disk_Image/.hidden/background.tiff

6.Hide system files again with Tinker Tool.

7.Eject and remount the disc image and assure that it has stuck.

It will set and then you are all set.

Forum Links
Forum Rules