Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > MacMAME

MacMAME
Archangel
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2001, 10:06 PM

I've been trying to get MacMame's latest build to run half-way decent on my G4 400 and my iBook 300. I have had no success. Both the audio and video are crappy even at the 1x1 resolution. Anybody else have this problem? Or better yet, anybody know what I'm missing?

Brad Oliver
Apr 23, 2001, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by Archangel:
I've been trying to get MacMame's latest build to run half-way decent on my G4 400 and my iBook 300. I have had no success. Both the audio and video are crappy even at the 1x1 resolution. Anybody else have this problem? Or better yet, anybody know what I'm missing?
What games are you running and what framerates are you getting? Realize also that the iBook has no video acceleration under OSX, so it's a really bad OSX gaming machine.

Brad

Archangel  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2001, 04:26 AM

Well, hey, just when I thought I was going to be completely ignored, look who responds!

Actually, I don't have X running on my iBook yet because I don't have enough RAM. I'm not sure what my framerates are exactly, but I'm guessing they're well under 20 (10? 12?). Also, I'm wondering if it's the ROM I have: SmashTV 8.00. I really really want to play this ROM because I basically got MacMAME so I could play this game. I'll check out some more ROMs and get real framerate counts.

Thanks for helping me out!

------------------
I got a yellow slinky from Outpost.com

icecream
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2001, 05:20 AM

Hi,

Just got MacMame for my Ti - what Roms do you recommend and where can I get them?

thanks a lot

SmileyDude
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2001, 10:30 AM

Archangel - use open-apple F to turn on FPS display.

------------------
dennis
dennis

SmileyDude
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2001, 10:34 AM

Hey Brad --

Is the iBook the only model without acceleration under X, or are there others? On my iBook, X runs fairly well, window dragging is fine, translucency works, etc, etc. I don't notice much difference between the iBook and iMac.

Compared to my old 6400 running under Linux, where I could tell there was no acceleration whatsoever...

------------------
dennis
dennis

Brad Oliver
Apr 24, 2001, 03:31 PM

Also, I'm wondering if it's the ROM I have: SmashTV 8.00. I really really want to play this ROM because I basically got MacMAME so I could play this game
My apologies if this shows up twice, but my first reply didn't appear to take. Anyway, SmashTV is a pig under any configuration, so that's likely the issue. Hit F11 to turn on the frame counter to see how it's running and how many frames it is skipping. I don't expect you'll be able to get full speed on that configuration without a lot of frameskipping. Make sure you turn on auto frameskipping in the front-end if you haven't already.

Brad

Brad Oliver
Apr 24, 2001, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by SmileyDude:
Is the iBook the only model without acceleration under X, or are there others? On my iBook, X runs fairly well, window dragging is fine, translucency works, etc, etc. I don't notice much difference between the iBook and iMac.
At the moment, the only cards accelerated under OSX are the Rage 128, the Radeon and the Geforce 2mx. The Rage Pro line and the 3dfx line are, IIRC, all unaccelerated.

Brad

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2001, 10:25 AM

Frogger, Bubble Bobble (whats everyones best score?)

Originally posted by icecream:
what Roms do you recommend and where can I get them?
Change your world and you will change your mind.

Ruby
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2001, 06:12 PM

I dowloaded MacMAME a few months ago but I had to toss it..I could not figure it out!! Most of the games appeared too small on the screen. Half of the ones I had didn't really work at all. It's pretty hard to find a decent game with no visual probelms.

------------------
Ruby
[img]http://homepage.mac.com/albertwu/.Pictures/ichicks.gif[img]

icecream
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2001, 11:29 AM

I love Bubble Bobble - where can I find that ROM? Thanks!

Archangel  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2001, 06:44 PM

I'd look for ROMs at www.mameplay.net. They have a huge archive.

------------------
I got a yellow slinky from Outpost.com

willpower
May 4, 2001, 02:29 PM

The Carbon version of MacMAME cannot take complete control of your computer and hog the CPU but the Classic version does. I can play SmashTV at pretty much full speed on most modern Macs.

Also look in the options to use the ATI Rage rendering plugin. It will play all the games at full screen with image filtering and some video acceleration.

sKP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2001, 06:36 PM

another thing to remember is that the OS X version of MAME is SLOW compared to the OS 9 version... my iMac (233 overclocked to 300) makes it run fine in OS 9, so maybe you should just use it in OS 9?

Forum Links
Forum Rules