Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Repair or upgrade?

Repair or upgrade?
Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2002, 06:12 AM

This is a bit academic since I had to make a quick decision, but I'd be interested in opinions:-

My iMac 400 DV died and needed a new analogue board. The machine is coming up to 3 years old and the repair is going to be just less than �200 (~$280) when parts, labour and VAT are included.

Should I have just upgraded and bit the bullet maybe trying to sell the old iMac as parts, or do you think 'repair and reuse' is the better option?

Will

(Moderators - apologies if this is in the wrong forum)

hadocon
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2002, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by Will C:
This is a bit academic since I had to make a quick decision, but I'd be interested in opinions:-

My iMac 400 DV died and needed a new analogue board. The machine is coming up to 3 years old and the repair is going to be just less than �200 (~$280) when parts, labour and VAT are included.

Should I have just upgraded and bit the bullet maybe trying to sell the old iMac as parts, or do you think 'repair and reuse' is the better option?

Will

(Moderators - apologies if this is in the wrong forum)
Depends on how much $ you have and what = good value to you.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2002, 03:13 AM

I think you've done the right thing by getting it fixed. You would not be able to afford something significantly better than your iMac for what you would be able to spend ($280 + what you may get for your old iMac which would not be a lot).
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Will C  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2002, 09:40 AM

Now that its back and working, I am pleased I did it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules