Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Inconsistent 12" display and contrast?

Inconsistent 12" display and contrast?
dbmat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2005, 05:35 PM

Apologies if this has been covered before (didn't find it when I searched).
After receiving my new 12" 1.5Ghz Powerbook about a week and a half ago, I've grown more and more annoyed with the display. No matter which vertical angle I choose to look at the screen, there is always a (very subtle to some, but very noticeable to me) difference in contrast/brightness between the top half of the screen and the bottom half. The top half is darker, and as you look further down, the screen becomes increasingly lighter and more washed out. I took my computer to my closest independent, Apple authorized repair agent, and they told me that this is normal, especially in the smaller screens. They refused to send it to Apple for service, and I turned around and made the hour long trip back home. I have a 20" Cinema Display, and it is perfectly consistent throughout, both horizontally and vertically. I am totally satisfied with every other aspect of my new laptop aside from this issue.
Has anyone experienced something similar?
( Last edited by dbmat; Jun 29, 2005 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Misphrased title)

pat++
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2005, 05:44 PM

Yes. It's the same thing on both of my iBooks. I believe it's pretty normal...

ibook_steve
Jun 29, 2005, 08:18 PM

Can you take a picture? This is not normal. You could have an issue with the backlight not lighting the screen evenly. The 20" Cinema is, of course, going to be brighter because it is more expensive and has a constant source of power, meaning it never has to run off a battery.

Steve

irus
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2005, 11:43 PM

What you're describing appears to be a fairly common occurence on 12" Apple portables. The Samsung LCDs (mostly) used by Apple simply don't have the same brightness and vertical viewing angle as the similar Sharp and LG panels. It also appears that Apple computers provide less power to the backlight, resulting in reduced and inconsistent brightness. The difference between the 12" Apple and 12" ThinkPad X series is striking.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2005, 09:49 AM

a pic of mine. you are not alone, it is not you, just your 12" powerbook LCD is awful.

shame on Apple for selling such sh!te.

dbmat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2005, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the responses, folks. I am amazed that Apple would put such a low quality screen on what is otherwise an exemplary machine. Has anyone had any luck sending their Powerbook back and having the screen replaced with a non-Samsung product?

irus
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2005, 10:49 AM

The problem is, PowerBook screens are identical to the dual-USB iBook ones, which was first launched in 2001. Since then, the technology has changed, and while most of the new LCDs utilize IPS and super IPS technology, these 12" screens are TN film ones. Hence, you get poor viewing angle and color inversion.

As far as the picture above, the iBook and PowerBook angles are different, and if you were to swap the machines and take the picture again, you'd notice that the closer machine would exhibit much better picture.

If I remember correctly, Hitachi screens have similar mounting points, but have a slightly different connector. Therefore, a new flex cable will need to be manufactured in order to put a different panel into iBook or PowerBook.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2005, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by irus
The problem is, PowerBook screens are identical to the dual-USB iBook ones, which was first launched in 2001. Since then, the technology has changed, and while most of the new LCDs utilize IPS and super IPS technology, these 12" screens are TN film ones. Hence, you get poor viewing angle and color inversion.

As far as the picture above, the iBook and PowerBook angles are different, and if you were to swap the machines and take the picture again, you'd notice that the closer machine would exhibit much better picture.

If I remember correctly, Hitachi screens have similar mounting points, but have a slightly different connector. Therefore, a new flex cable will need to be manufactured in order to put a different panel into iBook or PowerBook.

the ibook does not have that purple haze, and has a MUCH larger viewing angle.
The powerbook 12" has to be looked at dead on center to be viewed decently, The old ibook you can look at from more an angle and not be annoyed like on the powerbook.

SOME people don't have the problems I have with my 12" powerbook as Apple allegedly uses different vendors for the LCD screens. I'll never buy a powerbook from Apple again without looking at the screen in person to make sure I don't get a low grade one like the one I have now.

Apple Computer should be ashamed of themselves for even using such a low grade screen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules