Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" vs 17" for video and photoshop - suggestions!

15" vs 17" for video and photoshop - suggestions!
capetown
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2003, 12:14 PM

I am going to become a switcher.

Looking at getting a portable to use on trips abroad, and btwn bedroom and lounge.

Will use it with dv camera and canon 10d doing video and photoediting, email, bit of programing and shed loads of surfing!

I have a couple of pcs, including and dual 2ghz athlon to do serious stuff if I find the portable lacking.

I develop 8hrs a day on pcs, and am looking for a more satisfying experience using osx for my hobbies.

So I have read that the 15" is brighter, cheaper and more portable.

But the 17" comes with 1 dim, runs cooler, is faster, larger working space, but more expensive and less portable.

Will I be happy with the space on the 15". Does Final Cut Express and photoshop fit on the screen?

To those that use the powerbook for these applications - which do you suggest.

THANKS!

vdrummer
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2003, 02:25 PM

try running your current machine at the max resolutions of the 15" (1280x854) and 17" (1440x900) and see what works for you. Personally, having more space is worth an awful lot and is WAY more productive; Photoshop on desktop 24" at 1900x1200 is awesome.

Apple Elf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2003, 03:00 PM

Both Powerbooks have Pros/Cons of each which i'm sure you know of. The 15" is lighter and a lot easier to carry but like VD said, the 17" does have more production room but it is also a lot bigger and weighs more. To be honest, I think the 17" is too much of an overkill. Its not truely realistic for a laptop IMO. I have a few friends that run Final Cut,Photoshop,Fireworks on a 14.1" Ibook and they fit to the screen just fine. Also, I would try and possibly find a way to try both of the 2 laptops out. possibly carry it around for a day or so if they let you. Then think about what you'd be better off with. Also, an extra 83mhz would not make that much of a difference. The Al 15" with super drive is 1.25ghz while the 17in is 1.33. I have always liked the 15" laptops and everything i've ever done from games to photoshop worked just fine for me.

~Elf~

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2003, 03:13 PM

Welcome to the boards!

In answer to your question, personally I think the 15" is the better machine if you intend to actually travel with it...

The 17" is just a tad too big to me to take on the road... However if you don't do much traveling, and mainly use it on a desk when you arrive at certain destinations, it would be an excellent machine.

Otherwise, I would say a 15" is a real portable, and may be the better buy.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Peace,

Marc

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2003, 06:09 PM

I am personally working towards a dual solution. I have the 17 now and need every bit of the screen to work on huge photoshop files....on the move.

Also the presentation I get with the screen is a KILLER marketing tool.

The 17 is the ultimate main machine for me.

I also have my original ti-400 which I currently use for OS9 and importing which I am looking to replace with either a rev-c 12 inch or a small G5.

Apple makes a portable computer for everyone now.

For your travels, I would suggest the 15. I did journalism abroad for a year and it really kept me working efficiently. Because of it, I kept all my clients happy and gained many new ones for the service I could provide.
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

capetown  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2003, 06:50 AM

Still undecided - will go have a look at them.

Might go for the 15" - brighter screen, cheaper and can get an extra battery and isight for the same price.

Can always use external monitor for space!

Any other suggestions

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2003, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by capetown:
Still undecided - will go have a look at them.

Might go for the 15" - brighter screen, cheaper and can get an extra battery and isight for the same price.

Can always use external monitor for space!

Any other suggestions
I think looking at them in the Alu is the best option... That way you can get a real idea of what is best for you.

On a side note, I went for an 867 Tibook recently, and for less than the price of a new 15" Alubook I got the machine, a spare battery, RAM, D-Link adaptor, ADC-->DVI adaptor, Screen protector, and Booq Powersleeve. Don't regret it for a minute...

Peace,

Marc

MickS
Senior User
Oct 2, 2003, 07:58 AM

Just gone from a 15" to a 17". No competition, the 17" wins everytime.

In terms of portability I did need a new (wider) bag to carry the 17" in using as a laptop still works.

I guess it depends on where you are going to use it, and whether the 17" will fit.

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2003, 08:49 AM

I think it comes down to which do yo want in the end as they both offer similar performance and portability - the 17" isnt really that much bigger or heavier than the 15".

I have the 15" Ti 1Ghz PB and final cut works fine - although a bigger screen would be better if you are going to display your assest as thumbnails, but not sure if the 17" will be enough. Probably best you get a demo in a store before you buy.

Dont forget that either can be linked to the excellent Cinema Displays.

Of course all this assumes that budget is not important to you - if it is then the 15" is obviously the way to go.

capetown  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2003, 10:29 AM

Budget is important. I am in the UK, and can't really afford the 15" - but I want it!!!
We don't have apple stores in the UK, so it is difficult for me to get a demo of FCP, or photoshop.

Any suggestions.

I run a 19" CRT at home at 1600x1200 and I am often squinting at the screen to see the small letters!

So undecided

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2003, 10:51 AM

Where abouts in the UK are you? You can get demos at Apple outlets in London, Manchester, Birmingham, etc. etc. if you want.

The London store on New Oxford St is very nice - jut been revamped. And of course you have Micro Anvika just round the corner on Tottenham Road. In Kensington there is Cancom (who also have stores elswwhere).

I beleive some branches of John Lewis also carry Apple products.

Go to the Apple website and select "where to buy" on the front page.

macwalk
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2003, 10:54 AM

I use Photoshop all day, dreamweaver, iphoto, etc... and I did it on a 12.
It was tight , but it worked. I upgraded to a 15 and it was perfect --- not to mention monitor spanning and you are good to go.
I find the 17 is awesome if you are making lots of presentations etc...

otherwise the 15 is perfect
Hmmmm..... maybe not!

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2003, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by MusicalTone:
Where abouts in the UK are you? You can get demos at Apple outlets in London, Manchester, Birmingham, etc. etc. if you want.

The London store on New Oxford St is very nice - jut been revamped. And of course you have Micro Anvika just round the corner on Tottenham Road. In Kensington there is Cancom (who also have stores elswwhere).

I beleive some branches of John Lewis also carry Apple products.

Go to the Apple website and select "where to buy" on the front page.
All John Lewis stores have a demo model of every system. Even if the one you want to try isn't out, they will open one for you...

You also get 2 years warranty for the same price.

Excellent stores.

Peace,

Marc

nagromme
Senior User
Oct 2, 2003, 10:37 PM

FWIW, the 17" isn't THAT much larger than the 15". It's 10% thinner, and the footprint adds just .35" to front and back, just .85" to each side.

Having said that, ANY amount of size makes a difference--for my personal tastes, not enough to give up what the 17" has. BUT the weight is significantly more than the 15", don't forget. That bothers me more... but I'd still rather have the 17" given my needs and what they both cost. (The 12" extreme is my other option.)

Here's my list of what the 17" adds vs. the top 15":

1440x900 display vs. 1280x854
Higher GHz
Bigger HD (80 vs. 60)
RAM in one slot
Thinner
Less heat?
Better speakers?
Revision B case (although the 15" surely benefits from what was learned before too)

And I too have heard that the 15" may be slightly brighter. Not sure.

Good luck, either way is a good solution!

You might want to wait (about a month?) to get Panther included. It's a BIG OS upgrade. (And has Expos�, a slick feature which makes the most of your screen real estate and makes using multiple windows in less space much easier... which might make the 17" a little less important in certain situations.)
nagromme

capetown  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2003, 05:52 AM

I was definitely considering John Lewis.

MusicalTone - you mention a store on New Oxford street - what company is that.

So far the only company that I have found that overs both a vat refund and edu discount is ComputerWarehouse.

I plan to start a course soon, and am going back to SA in Feb, so this would be the cheapest option!

I could get the 17" with battery and 5400 drive for under �2000.

But I don't think I would be able to get if with the free extra year warranty that John Lewis offers, and I won't be able to take it to the store if something goes wrong. They will offer vat refund though.

So sill undecided.

Cheers

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2003, 05:55 AM

It's "The Square Group", and is on the left as you head towards the City. It's opposite the big Jessops on the corner and next to another camera shop.

Originally posted by capetown:
MusicalTone - you mention a store on New Oxford street - what company is that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules