Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS9/PPP disconnect problems

OS9/PPP disconnect problems
TheAdmiral
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2000, 04:17 PM

I recently got a G4/450, which of course runs OS9. When PPP is connected to my ISP, and I try to restart or shut down, the PPP termination notification comes up, but after a few seconds, the entire system hangs. Keyboard is locked out, and I'm forced to hit the restart button. Any ideas what's going on?
"Understanding is a three-edged sword." -Kosh, Babylon 5

dlindsay17
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2000, 10:21 PM

Make sure you're using OT 2.6. That release fixed a number of problems with my connection.

TheAdmiral  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2000, 01:10 AM

Just downloaded OT 2.6 and restarted... still having the same problem. Thanks though, I wasn't aware 2.6 was out...

Hans Sep
Feb 8, 2000, 04:53 AM

I've been having this problem for some time now. Installed every patch/update for OS9 but still no luck. The freeze occurs after I've printed something while connected. Conf: OS9, iMacDVSE, EpsonSC760

puttmutt
Feb 9, 2000, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by TheAdmiral:
I recently got a G4/450, which of course runs OS9. When PPP is connected to my ISP, and I try to restart or shut down, the PPP termination notification comes up, but after a few seconds, the entire system hangs. Keyboard is locked out, and I'm forced to hit the restart button. Any ideas what's going on?
Try increasing the memory allocation to Remote Access. also check to make sure that the "load only when needed" option is checked. If Not then TCP/IP is active all the time and will take longer to shut down. LOL

Rick58
Feb 11, 2000, 12:20 AM

The same thing happens to me when I try to put my iMac DV SE into Sleep mode, & forget to disconnect. I have all the updates. I figured it was a bug in the OS, & will be fixed with 9.0.1 or whatever.

crystal
Feb 11, 2000, 01:16 AM

quote: The same thing happens to me when I try to put my iMac DV SE into Sleep mode, & forget to disconnect. I have all the updates. I figured it was a bug in the OS, & will be fixed with 9.0.1 or whatever.

I have that exact same problem. I still haven't been able to figure it out. I'm just really careful to try and remember to disconnect before i put my 350 iMac to sleep.

Crystal
350 iMac
Mac OS 9

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2000, 01:25 AM

Not sure if I'm right BUT... I believe OS 9 Audio Update 1.3 addresses this problem. I seem to remember reading some where that this is one of the bugs it fixes. Could be wrong, but if I'm not, hope this helps.

Chris

Rick58
Feb 11, 2000, 03:23 PM

quote: I believe OS 9 Audio Update 1.3 addresses this problem.

No, unfortunately, I have done the 1.3 update, still the same. Thanks anyway!

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2000, 04:35 PM

Rick:

Just a quick question... and forgive me if you've already done this, but, have you confirmed that the Audio Update 1.3 has been properly installed... i.e. is the Apple Audio Extension in your active extensions folder version 1.0.2 and part of the mac os 9 audio update 1.3? Some people who updated through the software update control panel found that the update wasn't properly installed, hence the next time they ran the updater it told them they still needed the Audio Update 1.3. The following is a link detailing the necessity to upgrade to 1.3 from apple http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n31167 . Like I said, I apologize if you've made sure of this, but this might be useful to other people.

Cheers!
Chris

Rick58
Feb 12, 2000, 01:17 AM

Well, Chris, you were correct after all! I apologize ...

I guess I hadn't tried to put it in sleep mode since I updated to (Audio Update) 1.3 (verified).

I just tried sleep mode while connected; the connection terminated, & the iMac went to sleep!

Upon 'awakening' there was a Finder message saying 'Your connection was terminated by Sleep Mode' or some such thing.

Hmmm, they must have slipped in a ROM fix or something with the "Audio Update"??? Who woulda thunk it?

Thanks again for both replies. - Rick.

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2000, 04:52 PM

Rick:

I believe the current ROM is 3.2.1, and was included in the audio update.

Cheers!
Chris

TheAdmiral  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2000, 04:19 PM

I updated the audio update 1.3 and a few other things, before I read the latest updates to this topic... turns out I did the right thing! The PPP lockup problem has stopped, and the CPU restarts/shuts down correctly now.

------------------
-The Admiral

Forum Links
Forum Rules