Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > newsfire crash issues??

newsfire crash issues??
bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2004, 06:13 PM

has anyone been having crash issues with newsfire? i've been using it for a while and have enjoyed it after getting used to it from NNW but it has started crashing all the time. i've emailed the developer with no response(?)

i was wondering if anyone else was having and issues? any thoughts?

thanks!

peace.
bv.
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

mishap
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2004, 06:45 PM

i have not had the crashing issues
did you try .3 that came out today?

Chris Grande
Senior User
Dec 2, 2004, 12:26 AM

No crashes here, just loving the new Smart feeds! Have any crash logs?

bluevertical  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2004, 02:18 AM

yeah still having them w/ .3... i've run cache cleaner, took a few feeds out i thought might be problematic and repaired disk permissions... so we'll see if this does the trick.

mishap.
i sent the dev my crash logs but haven't heard anything. i'll save the next one.

i'll keep my fingers crossed and see if i can find the issue(?)

thanks for the info.

peace.
bv.
www.theblogproject.com

bluevertical  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2004, 02:14 PM

ok, i think i have found the culprit... windowshadeX. it appears to be the 'make window transparent' setting. i bet it interferes with the fade effect in newsfire.

phew. this was a bitch, but nice to have it back...

cya.

bv.
www.theblogproject.com

bluevertical  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2004, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by Chris Grande:
No crashes here, just loving the new Smart feeds! Have any crash logs?
chris.

do you know how do read crash logs? i can make some of it out but had a few questions for you....

peace.
bv.
www.theblogproject.com

Chris Grande
Senior User
Dec 3, 2004, 01:35 AM

Sometimes they can point me in the right direction, but sometimes they only show things that the developer could figure out.

bluevertical  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2004, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by Chris Grande:
Sometimes they can point me in the right direction, but sometimes they only show things that the developer could figure out.
here's the last few lines. see if you can make sense of it. i thought i had narrowed it down but not sure. it appears to me to be where you will see the 'ExceptionHandling' note. or possible the application enhancer(?)

anyway, thanks for any help you might be able to provide chris.

also, i would imagine others use the ape application enhancer who are using newsfire right?

i'll try and see if i can catch the developer on ichat as he hasn't responded to my email yet.

peace.
bv.

.................................................. ...

Binary Images Description:
0x1000 - 0x31fff org.xlife.NewsFire 0.31 /Applications/NewsFire.app/Contents/MacOS/NewsFire
0x400000 - 0x41afff com.unsanity.shapeshifter ShapeShifter Version 2.0 (2.0) /Users/blueverticalstudio/Library/Application Enhancers/ShapeShifter.ape/Contents/MacOS/ShapeShifter
0x43c000 - 0x44bfff com.unsanity.shapeshifter ShapeShifter Version 2.0 (2.0) /Users/blueverticalstudio/Library/Application Enhancers/ShapeShifter.ape/Contents/PlugIns/CocoaStuff.plugIn/Contents/MacOS/CocoaStuff
0x598000 - 0x5c8fff com.unsanity.fruitmenu FruitMenu version 3.2.1 (3.2.1) /Users/blueverticalstudio/Library/Application Enhancers/FruitMenu.ape/Contents/MacOS/FruitMenu
0x95a000 - 0x95efff com.apple.FolderActionsMenu 1.2.1 /System/Library/Contextual Menu Items/FolderActionsMenu.plugin/Contents/MacOS/FolderActionsMenu
0x966000 - 0x967fff com.superflysoftware.dimensionizer 1.0 /Users/blueverticalstudio/Library/Contextual Menu Items/Dimensionizer.plugin/Contents/MacOS/Dimensionizer
0x97d000 - 0x97ffff com.apple.textencoding.unicode 1.6.4 /System/Library/TextEncodings/Unicode Encodings.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Unicode Encodings
0x8dcb0000 - 0x8dcb2fff com.apple.ExceptionHandling 1.2 (???) /System/Library/Frameworks/ExceptionHandling.framework/Versions/A/ExceptionHandling
0x8fe00000 - 0x8fe4ffff dyld /usr/lib/dyld
0x90000000 - 0x90122fff libSystem.B.dylib /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
0xc0000000 - 0xc000efff com.unsanity.ape 1.4.4 /Library/Frameworks/ApplicationEnhancer.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationEnhancer
www.theblogproject.com

Miwa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2005, 04:56 PM

I've just paid up, and it's not launching at all. Bounces in the dock, then crashes.

I'm a fairly recent switcher, and I haven't had a lot of time to get up to speed on Mac maintenance and troubleshooting. I'm at a loss!

Miwa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2005, 02:30 PM

Update: Issue fixed in v. 1.26. Happy now!

Forum Links
Forum Rules