Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So, did you get it?

So, did you get it?
sdilley14
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2012, 12:32 PM

...the iPhone 5...did anyone pick it up over the weekend? Thoughts? Impressions? Unique experiences while waiting in line/at the store?

I was going to pick one up, had discussed everything with Verizon CS a few days prior...but long story short, I'm not eligible to upgrade until December, and if I were to terminate my current contract and start a new one, I wouldn't have an early term fee (long story) but I wouldn't be able to keep my existing phone #. If I switch carriers they can port my # over, but switching lines within the same carrier they insisted I wouldn't be able to keep my #. I asked 3 different reps to confirm. Holding onto the number I've had for 10 years is more important to me than getting a new phone 3 months before I'm technically "eligible", and there's no way I'm going to switch from a CDMA to a GSM carrier in my area (GSM coverage is terrible here).

So anyway, I danced around in circles for an hour or so Friday morning and didn't end up getting the phone. It wouldn't have been a problem getting one though. There was a line of maybe 20-30 people right away in the morning at the main "corporate" store in my town, so I decided to be tricky and try to hit up one of the smaller retailers down the road. I got there and they didn't have any phones in stock and said that the corporate store didn't get any shipped in either, "so all of those people in line right now are going to be really disappointed". So I left and decided to call the corporate store up the street to confirm..."oh no, we got a whole bunch of them, shouldn't be a problem if you want to stop in to get one." So I stop over there, store is buzzing with people but there's no line, I speak with a rep right away, he tells me they have plenty in stock. And from there I proceed to get shut down due to my contract situation, lol. And there's no way I'm going to buy one at full retail off contract. Oh well, I'll wait til December, it'll be a nice Christmas gift to myself.

So did YOU get the new phone? Liking it so far? Run into any of the cosmetic/damaging issues that have been surfacing?
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2012, 12:45 PM

I preordered. No damage.

I like it a lot. It's noticeably snappy and needed the extra RAM.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2012, 12:50 PM

Somewhat being discussed over here.

I pre-ordered through Verizon on Friday, Sept. 14 at 7:30 am EST. Even transferred an early upgrade from my wife's line to my line. Flawless process - done in less than 5 minutes.

Got my shipping notification on Thursday, Sept. 20 for delivery by Fedex on Friday, Sept. 21 (Release Day). Fedex lady delivered at 12:30 pm EST.

Opened box, installed Steinheil Crystal Clear screen protector, and called the number from home phone to activate. Activated in less than a minute. Powered on for the first time, did initial set-up as a "new" iPhone, then connected to my laptop to sync with iTunes (I had already downloaded the apps I wanted to install).

Spent all weekend playing around with everything and absolutely LOVE it. I'm returning to the iPhone after a couple years of using Android phones. Now I remember why I liked the iPhone so much (switched to Android initially because I wanted 4G LTE).

It's amazing how small and light it feels, yet very easy to use with one hand. Blazingly fast for everything I've thrown at it and the screen is gorgeous.

I have not experienced any of the issues I've seen reported (Wifi problems, cosmetic defects, etc.). I keep my phones in cases so I'm not worried about scratching.

All in all, a fantastic device!

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2012, 01:02 PM

I had a bumper on my old phone. I'm thinking I may go bareback on this one.

It's much nicer sliding in and out of the pocket, but I'm still a little worried it will slip out of my hand.

It's definitely very usable in one hand, and I have smallish hands with stubby fingers.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2012, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Somewhat being discussed over here.
I pre-ordered through Verizon on Friday, Sept. 14 at 7:30 am EST. Even transferred an early upgrade from my wife's line to my line. Flawless process - done in less than 5 minutes.
Got my shipping notification on Thursday, Sept. 20 for delivery by Fedex on Friday, Sept. 21 (Release Day). Fedex lady delivered at 12:30 pm EST.
Opened box, installed Steinheil Crystal Clear screen protector, and called the number from home phone to activate. Activated in less than a minute. Powered on for the first time, did initial set-up as a "new" iPhone, then connected to my laptop to sync with iTunes (I had already downloaded the apps I wanted to install).
Spent all weekend playing around with everything and absolutely LOVE it. I'm returning to the iPhone after a couple years of using Android phones. Now I remember why I liked the iPhone so much (switched to Android initially because I wanted 4G LTE).
It's amazing how small and light it feels, yet very easy to use with one hand. Blazingly fast for everything I've thrown at it and the screen is gorgeous.
I have not experienced any of the issues I've seen reported (Wifi problems, cosmetic defects, etc.). I keep my phones in cases so I'm not worried about scratching.
All in all, a fantastic device!
Nice to hear! After seeing all of the reports of damage and the phone being "easily" scratched on the aluminum backing, and not having that "wow" feeling just looking at pictures of the phone because the design isn't tooooo different, I was feeling a bit...blaahh about upgrading to be honest. But I think jumping from the 4 to the 5 will be a solid upgrade.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2012, 01:44 PM

Sweet. I am definitely looking forward to the speed bump. Launching apps and opening pictures and things like that seem to have gotten a little slower lately on my iPhone 4. The switch to the 5 will be a very welcome increase in speed.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2012, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I had a bumper on my old phone. I'm thinking I may go bareback on this one.
It's much nicer sliding in and out of the pocket, but I'm still a little worried it will slip out of my hand.
It's definitely very usable in one hand, and I have smallish hands with stubby fingers.
I've had the same battle. I like to have a nice rubber casing on mine...I can't really stand hard plastic cases...but going in and out of the pocket with it is annoying. I've gone bare with it myself (and have paid the price with lots of tiny scratches on the back and some small dings on the edges due to dropping it a couple times).
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Cold Warrior
Sep 24, 2012, 03:55 PM

I preordered two, one for my wife and myself. We have the 4S but the 5 is a great upgrade. I'm incredibly pleased with it, especially because I'm back on Verizon with blazing lte, free hotspot, FaceTime over cellular, and service that's actually usable.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2012, 05:18 PM

I just received this case today.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0097BZN32/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01

It complements the iPhone 5 PERFECTLY.

It's a hard case, but the back is somewhat soft. It's hard to explain. But it adds very little thickness to the phone, especially on the edges.

The reviews are correct - the bezel does not come up and is flush with the screen so it offers no protection to the screen. IMO, that's a plus - that's what a screen protector is for.

I wanted something that can protect the sides and back from scratches, offer some measure of protection in case I drop it, and do so without adding bulk.

This case fits the bill perfectly for what I was looking for.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 25, 2012, 12:54 AM

I can't buy fake carbon-fiber anything. Do they make a plain version?

Ω
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2012, 01:03 AM

I got something in the weekend. Making me itch.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2012, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Then get a real CF case.

http://droconcepts.com/iPhone5/carbon-fiber-iphone-5-cases.html
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 25, 2012, 01:41 AM

I'm also not going to be the guy with a $90 phone case.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2012, 01:45 AM

It's a $700-800 phone, if you have to outright replace it. $90 isn't that bad, and it looks good.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2012, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Not that I'm aware of. I've got a Steinheil case coming in soon that looks to be similar to this but with a plain matte back. I'll let you know how it is.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009D4IMH2/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

I do kind of the like the textured back though - it helps with grip and is very comfortable in the hand.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by o View Post
I got something in the weekend.  Making me itch.
IN?

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2012, 12:01 PM

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2012, 01:02 PM

Well played.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2012, 02:07 PM

lmfao. Excellent.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2012, 02:56 PM

I had to do it on my PC running XP at work in MS paint... I also had to ask my coworker how to do a screenshot on a PC.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2012, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
I had to do it on my PC running XP at work in MS paint... I also had to ask my coworker how to do a screenshot on a PC.
'preciate the effort.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2012, 01:27 PM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2012, 10:49 AM

Turns out the Share Everything plan with 2 smartphones and 2GB of data is cheaper than our old plan with 1 iPhone, 1 dumbphone, unlimited data for the iPhone, and unlimited texting for everyone.

The iPhone 5 is way smaller than I expected, I'm pretty excited about it.

Salty
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2012, 07:32 PM

Finally got one. The Rogers store was an absolute Joke to deal with, I reserved the phone, got a call about it, went down and had to stand in a line out the door of people there for various things, in many cases morons who didn't even know what phone they wanted. Their reservation system seems like a good idea until you get to the store, then you get a bunch of people who seem to have no idea how to cut through a line. IE don't take idiots who could pay their bill online or by credit card before people who waited two weeks to get a damn iPhone! Grrr!

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2012, 10:53 AM

Got mine on saturday. It's snappy. Very snappy.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2012, 12:43 PM

Yup.

It has a reasonable helping of RAM now.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2012, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Got mine on saturday. It's snappy. Very snappy.
Good to hear. It feels like my iPhone 4 is getting slower by the day. It has certainly gotten noticeably slower since upgrading to iOS6, particularly when launching and navigating through the Music and Podcast apps. The Messages app seems to load up a bit slower and act a bit..."buggier" now too. It could just be my particular phone though and not an iOS6 or iPhone 4 issue in general. Either way, Dec. 29 (upgrade date) can't come soon enough!
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2012, 07:52 AM

There's a bunch of things I like. Siri, I use daily and love it - never thought I would.

Not so much for searching, but to set reminders. "Remind me to pay the gas bill when I get home" - and it does. Or to select music in the car. Play/artist/album/playlist/song. Awesome.

Camera rocks. LTE is fast, very fast. Pages in Safari render instantly. Email is far more responsive. Maps work ok for me. Maybe because we don't have many roads in Canada.

Excellent phone all round.

Forum Links
Forum Rules