Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Comedy: "Talladega Nights" trailer...

Comedy: "Talladega Nights" trailer...
rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2006, 07:47 PM

baw
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2006, 08:14 PM

Looks good.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2006, 06:06 PM

Movieguide.org rates this film:

-4 ABHORRENT: Intentional blasphemy, evil, gross immorality, falsehood, evil worldviews, and/or destructive, horrendous worldview problems.
TALLADEGA NIGHTS: THE BALLAD OF RICKY BOBBY
Ridiculing the Bible Belt and White Southern Christian Males

Released: Aug 4th, 2006
Starring: Will Farrell, John C. Reilly, Sacha Baron Cohen, Gary Cole, Leslie Bibb, Michael Clarke Duncan, Jane Lynch, and Molly Shannon
Genre: Comedy/Satire
Audience: Teenagers and adults
Rating: PG-13
Runtime: 105 minutes

Content:
(HH, PCPCPC, AbAbAb, HoHo, C, B, FR, LLL, VV, SS, N, AA, DD, MMM) Strong humanist worldview with very strong politically correct elements that ridicules white Southern Christian males, the Bible Belt, Jesus Christ, the Nativity Story, Christians, NASCAR, the South, men with Southern accents, and American masculinity while promoting moral relativism, plus movie uses strong pansexual homosexual elements to mock conservative and Christian attitudes toward masculinity in a politically correct way, one slightly positive Christian shot with grandmother singing in church choir with grandsons as part of teaching the children to behave, and false religion where man tries to make a point by saying that God needs the Devil, reflecting a dualistic misunderstanding of reality, theodicy and the Godhead; at least 46 obscenities, one strong profanity, 15 light profanities, one bleeped “f” word, an obscene gesture, blasphemous metaphors about Jesus done for comic effect, stupid man says things like, “Help me, Baby Jesus. Help me, Allah. Help me, Oprah Winfrey,” and brief talk about urinating; strong comic and action violence includes spectacular car crashes, car crashes into house, car sideswipes parked cars, cougar growls at man, implied scratching of man by cougar, man thinks he’s on fire and rolls on the ground, race cars bump one another, driver starts to pull out and hits shopping cart and policeman, man breaks another man’s arm with a loud crack, man stabs himself in the leg to prove he’s paralyzed but he’s not, and boys spray man with hose; several crude sexual references and jokes include it is implied that woman flashes boobs at celebrity, wife leaves husband for husband’s best friend, homosexual men kiss and hold hands, heterosexual man makes up with homosexual archrival and kisses him full on the lips for a long time, passionate kissing, man crudely mentions that he posed for PLAYGIRL, woman gets sexually aroused in a crude way that’s supposed to be funny, and man talks about wanting to dress up as female disco singer Donna Summer; upper male nudity, man strips to underwear in public, and female cleavage; alcohol use and drunkenness; smoking and drug references; and, lying, protagonist is selfish, negative stereotypes of Southern white men with accents, family argues, woman gives birth in car, homosexual man calls his lover “ my husband,” grandmother performs Eastern physical exercise with grandsons, evading police, protagonist’s father abandons his family, and parents are permissive with two boys, who talk dirty and insult their elders.
(That's a ridiculously long sentence. I'll edit it below.)

TALLADEGA NIGHTS ridicules its conceited, Southern white protagonist. In one excruciatingly long scene, it also ridicules the protagonist and his family and friend for saying an inane dinner prayer to Jesus. This is one of the most blasphemous scenes in recent memory. It goes way beyond mere mockery of Christianity. The movie also ridicules traditional, heterosexual notions of masculinity in America and the South, including NASCAR. Taken altogether, the movie is one long politically correct, humanist attack on the Bible Belt and white Southern Americans. It also contains strong sexual references, excessive foul language and strong homosexual content.

A recent article in the Los Angeles Times reported that both Will Farrell and his writing partner, Adam McKay, the director of this movie, are pretty radical liberals who are angry at the Democratic Party for not being even more antagonistic toward its political rivals. Apparently, that also includes conservative evangelical Christians in the South who support more conservative candidates, especially candidates opposed to same sex marriage and opposed to the promotion of homosexuality and other perverse sex acts. To many such liberals, bigoted attacks on blacks, women, Latinos, and other minorities are evil, but bigoted attacks on white Southern Christian males are fair game. Hopefully, this double standard will be rejected some day. Only then, perhaps, will Hollywood stop making such movies as TALLADEGA NIGHTS.

Talladega, by the way, is a town in Alabama that has one of the most famous NASCAR racetracks, the Talladega Superspeedway.
http://movieguide.org/index.php?s=reviews&id=7220

Strong humanist worldview with very strong politically correct elements. It ridicules white Southern Christian males, the Bible Belt, Jesus Christ, the Nativity Story, Christians, NASCAR, the South, men with Southern accents, and American masculinity while promoting moral relativism.

The movie uses strong pansexual homosexual elements to mock conservative and Christian attitudes toward masculinity in a politically correct way. One slightly positive Christian shot (WITH A GUN??? OR IS THE WRITER TALKING ABOUT A SCENE???) with grandmother singing in church choir with grandsons as part of teaching the children to behave. False religion is portrayed when a man tries to make a point by saying that God needs the Devil, reflecting a dualistic misunderstanding of reality, theodicy and the Godhead.

At least 46 obscenities, one strong profanity, 15 light profanities, one bleeped “f” word, an obscene gesture, blasphemous metaphors about Jesus done for comic effect. A stupid man says things like, “Help me, Baby Jesus. Help me, Allah. Help me, Oprah Winfrey.” There is brief talk about urinating; strong comic and action violence includes spectacular car crashes, a car crashes into a house and others sideswipe parked cars.

A cougar growls at a man, there's implied scratching of a man by a cougar, a man thinks he’s on fire and rolls on the ground, race cars bump one another, a driver starts to pull out (PULL OUT WHAT??? ) and hits shopping cart and policeman. A man breaks another man’s arm with a loud crack. A man stabs himself in the leg to prove he’s paralyzed but he’s not, and boys spray a man with a hose. Several crude sexual references and jokes including an implication that a woman flashes her boobs at a celebrity. A wife leaves her husband for the husband’s best friend.

Homosexual men kiss and hold hands, a heterosexual man makes up with homosexual arch rival and kisses him full on the lips for a long time. Passionate kissing. A man crudely mentions that he posed for PLAYGIRL, woman gets sexually aroused in a crude way that’s supposed to be funny. A man talks about wanting to dress up as female disco singer Donna Summer. Upper male nudity, man strips to underwear in public, and female cleavage.

Alcohol use and drunkenness; smoking and drug references. Lying protagonist is selfish. The film negatively stereotypes Southern white men with accents. A family argues, a woman gives birth in car, homosexual man calls his lover “ my husband,” grandmother performs Eastern physical exercise with grandsons, evading police, protagonist’s father abandons his family, and parents are permissive with two boys, who talk dirty and insult their elders.
Actually, now that I can read this very poorly written review (after an even "poorerly written editization") it looks like it really might be a pretty funny movie.
( Last edited by mojo2; Aug 8, 2006 at 07:09 PM. )
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

Rumor
Aug 8, 2006, 06:08 PM

After that long post, I bet those in the "bible belt" will love this movie.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor
The fact is that the film is #1 at the box office and I haven't seen it. I don't know what the dynamic is or will be. I'm not a NASCAR fan. I'm able to laugh at myself and am able to see the humor in TV shows like The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. I have laughed at Will Ferrell's work on SNL and found Ron Burgundy a pleasant waste of time.

Just wanted to present the other side of the film's raves for your consideration.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2006, 06:24 PM

Looks dumb.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
Looks dumb.
Agreed.

No match for Clerks II. No THAT really ridicules all of the above.

-t

the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2006, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
Agreed.

No match for Clerks II. No THAT really ridicules all of the above.

-t
Its for kids, whose parents won't let them see clerks 2. I feel bad for those guys..

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2006, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by the macimum
Its for kids, whose parents won't let them see clerks 2. I feel bad for those guys..

-t

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2006, 03:27 AM

Yup. Different folks different strokes indeed

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 03:42 AM

It is very funny. Go see it.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2006, 10:17 AM

I really don't think this is a movie about Nascar...it looked like an Anchorman of Nascar kind of movie. I'll see it when it hits the dollar theater I suppose.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2006, 10:22 AM

I saw it last night - I laughed at the silliness constantly. The best scene in the whole move involves his dad during the big race. It's worth a shot.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2006, 10:28 AM

It's HUGE here in Georgia. HUGE. I saw more promo in the last 2 weeks than I have seen for any other movie in my life.

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Aug 9, 2006, 11:52 AM

I thought it was the funniest movie I've seen in a while. Worth my $15 (date included).

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2006, 12:02 PM

looks hilarious
we don't have time to stop for gas

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2006, 07:17 PM

It's Will Ferrell, which means it'll be stupid and not funny.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2006, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
I really don't think this is a movie about Nascar...it looked like an Anchorman of Nascar kind of movie. I'll see it when it hits the dollar theater I suppose.
That's the problem with Will Ferrell. He's always Will Ferrell, and nothing else. It was funny for the first few seasons he was on SNL, but now it's just stupid. It's like watching Keanu Reeves or Kevin Costner.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2006, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
I for one completely agree with this sentiment. What amazes me is how few people share this view. Most of my friends think hes hilarious.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
I apologize for being a lesser person than you.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2006, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
I apologize for being a lesser person than you.
No need to apologize. You can just bend over and let me kick you in the butt.

Rumor
Aug 10, 2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by jonasmac
I thought it was the funniest movie I've seen in a while. Worth my $15 (date included).
For $15 your theater provides you with a date?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2006, 01:37 PM

For $15 your theater provides you with a date?

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules