Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari html rendering:confused:

Safari html rendering:confused:
bcswbc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2006, 11:28 PM

I recently have done some web development (South Woods Baptist Church Homepage) and have noticed that Safari does not render the web pages the way that I've designed them. Firefox, Opera, and IE renders the sight properly, though.
Is there something that I should be doing differently? Or is it a known Safari issue?
ps - I've also noticed that Safari doesn't always play flash movies on other sites that I've been to. Is this the same issue?

Thanks

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2006, 11:36 PM

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2006, 11:49 PM

Your page does not have a Doctype, which might be putting Safari (as well as the other browsers you listed) into quirks mode. Also, I see that only your drop down menus are CSS based, why not make the rest of the page CSS based too?

Did you do this in Dreamweaver, or some other WYSIWYG editor? You have code like the following:

<table border="1" width="103%" height="39">

This is pretty sloppy, and is probably the source of these problems. The fact that it looks okay on other browsers is more just sheer luck.

bcswbc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Your page does not have a Doctype, which might be putting Safari (as well as the other browsers you listed) into quirks mode. Also, I see that only your drop down menus are CSS based, why not make the rest of the page CSS based too?

Did you do this in Dreamweaver, or some other WYSIWYG editor? You have code like the following:

<table border="1" width="103%" height="39">

This is pretty sloppy, and is probably the source of these problems. The fact that it looks okay on other browsers is more just sheer luck.
I did use a wysiwyg - wait for it, wait for it - FRONTPAGE. I know, I know.
Thanks for your help.

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2006, 06:37 PM

Umm, need we say anything more? Frontpage is notorious for producing incredibly bad code.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2006, 08:40 AM

May I make a suggestion? Download a copy of rapidweaver and get yourself a site that works on all browsers in no time at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules