Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Enabling "Directory Access"

Enabling "Directory Access"
Paffo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2007, 04:38 PM

I have been trying to change my network workgroup. Following the directions to make the change, I need to log into "Directory Access" via "Utilities". It does not show up when I open Utilities and the Help menu indicates it may not be enabled. How do I enable it???

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2007, 05:18 PM

I don't follow. There is a program called "Directory Access" which lives in the "Utilities" folder. It controls fun things like binding to an Active Directory server, enabling SMB and CIFS. But there isn't anything about network workgroup on the Mac.
Are you running Windows on a Mac?
( Last edited by Sherman Homan; Jul 3, 2007 at 05:25 PM. Reason: kant tipe good)

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2007, 08:06 PM

Yes there is. Under SMB options, or something like that, you can set the windows workgroup.

Paffo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2007, 09:42 PM

Hi, Thanks for the response. No, I'm not running widows on the MAC. Using the help screens I was told to go to the Utilities and click on Directory Access. Problem is, when I go to Utilities, the only 2 things that show up are; "ODBC Adminitrator" and "Terminal". Directory Access isn't listed. Further checking gave me a message that "THE ITEM MAY BE DISABLED OR NOT INSTALLED" What I'm trying to do is enable it. since Panther should have installed it.

Paffo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2007, 09:46 PM

Appreciate your response. My problem is I can't get to SMB because the Directory Access appears to be disabled and doesn't show up when I click on Utilities. Apparently I need to enable it to access SMB but haven't figured out how to do that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules