Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad 3G questions

iPad 3G questions
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2010, 03:48 AM

Few questions:

1. iPad 3G, will the U.S. release be 'locked' to AT&T in any way ?

2. Will i be able to pop in a compatible SIM from any carrier around the world ?

3. The black strip on the back of the pad, where the 3G antennas are (i presume)..... what is the material ? Is it rubber ? or is it a hard material ? essentially, i do not want dust sticking to it.

4. Do iPads come with international warranty ? I know iPods and portable Macs do, but i dont know about the iPad specifically.

Cheers

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2010, 04:13 AM

1. 2. Yes.
2. 1. No.
3. Not known yet.
4. Not known yet.

[Edit: That's what I get for not quoting. I had mixed up your first two questions. Sorry 'bout that.]
( Last edited by Simon; Apr 24, 2010 at 09:36 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2010, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Few questions:

1. iPad 3G, will the U.S. release be 'locked' to AT&T in any way ?

2. Will i be able to pop in a compatible SIM from any carrier around the world ?

3. The black strip on the back of the pad, where the 3G antennas are (i presume)..... what is the material ? Is it rubber ? or is it a hard material ? essentially, i do not want dust sticking to it.

4. Do iPads come with international warranty ? I know iPods and portable Macs do, but i dont know about the iPad specifically.

Cheers
1. No. It comes with an easy activation process for two AT&T data contracts, but it is not locked to any carrier.
2. Yes.
3. Not known yet, but probably plastic (as on the first iPhone).
4. Probably, but not known yet.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
1. Yes.
2. No.
3. Not known yet.
4. Not known yet.
Ignore his first two answers, they're completely wrong. All 3G iPads are unlocked so you can pop in a microSIM from any carrier. Note the iPad only supports the 850, 1900, 2100 MHz bands for 3G so you can't use Tmobile USA 3G service (since it's on the 1700Mhz band), but you can use their 2.mumbleG EDGE service (since the iPad supports 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz for EDGE).

Forum Links
Forum Rules