Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Re-doing old iMac case

Re-doing old iMac case
Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2005, 08:25 PM

Hey everyone... I've been thinking, my old "blueberry" iMac is pretty darn ugly. I was considering, taking all of the blue plastics off (yes, i know this is quite the not-fun take-apart, especially those stupid blue speakers. And paint them a different color (maybe gloss black?)

Obviously just changing the color of the case wouldn't have any effect. But I was also considering doing a line of holes across the front- bottom of the iMac (in the clear plastics) as well as two rows of holes on each side (through the clear plastics). My iniatial idea was "simply for looks".

Now I got to thinking of temperature... by putting rows of holes in the clear case, will I either
1) Kill some sort of magic apple airflow, and heat up the actual iMac
2) Allow more air flow, reducing the heat
3) do nothing.

Anyone who knows the iMac case well, or has knowlege of such a thing, please help me. I think when I am done modding the case, it will look much more stylish, but I *refuse* to carry out the mod, if it endangers the computer inside... let me know!

(also.. any creative case mod ideas out there for my blue-berry iMac?)
yep.

Captain Egotist
Banned
Mar 2, 2005, 10:36 PM

1st gen or 2nd? I've taken my old imac apart to the frame before.... a few times actually.

- Rob

Tenacious Dyl  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2005, 10:38 PM

I'm honestly not sure the difference. I know that is a 350 mhz, 64 mb ram, slot loading blue iMac. It has an ethernet port, and 2 usb ports. It has 8 megs of video memory (ati rage) and it has an airport antenna, and a port for the "adapter" that lets you put a card, into the adapter.
yep.

Captain Egotist
Banned
Mar 3, 2005, 12:17 PM

Okay, FYI, tray loading models (233-333mhz) are 1st gens. Totally different design than slot loading models (2nd gens).

I have no idea about 2nd gens. Sorry.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Mar 13, 2005, 09:29 AM

Me and my brother painted his iMac rev D black:

I don't know anything about the DV iMac though, this has one fan in it. We are very happy with the result though, much cooler than the original turquoise color.

Tenacious Dyl  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2005, 03:51 PM

Looks good

I hope to do a very similar thing, but in addition, put some holes in it too.... perhaps over my Spring Break (coming up soon here) I will have the time and patience to plan it out, and do it!

Any further input / pictures / advice are appreciated!
yep.

Captain Egotist
Banned
Mar 13, 2005, 05:25 PM

Spray the inside of the plastic, it'll look better.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Mar 14, 2005, 02:34 AM

Originally posted by Captain Egotist:
Spray the inside of the plastic, it'll look better.
I was going to mention this, this is how we did it. Except we actually painted it.

hedgehogfrenzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2005, 08:25 PM

Looks good in black. I took apart a 2nd gen iMac down to the frame and it wasn't too hard. It just took some patience. I dobut that you will ruin air flow by putting any holes. I don't remeber there being any fans in the unit.

- David

discotronic
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2005, 12:04 PM

Your Blueberry shouldn't have a problem with a couple extra holes in the case. It is convection cooled and doesn't have a fan. When you do the paint post some pics. I'm sure it will be cool looking.

Forum Links
Forum Rules