Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > iBook Screen to Powerbook Case

iBook Screen to Powerbook Case
Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2005, 02:36 PM

As some of you know, I recently got into a car accident, and my powerbook's LCD was pretty much decimated (MANY cracks, backlight going crazy, etc). I was able to thankfully buy a new LCD for it, from Rozwado1 , but it was from an iBook.

I compared the pictures, and they looked similar, but not identical. The pattern in the metal on the iBook screen was different, and the cables were slightly different as well. However, their model/serial numbers were similar, and the actual connectors looked compatible. I was able to get it for $50, so I figured I would give it a try.

It arrived this morning, in great condition. So out came the tools, removed my LCD and unplugged the data/video cable and its power line. Marked all the screws (there were 3 different types in the assembly), and simply inserted the iBook's LCD. It seemed to fit a little looser in the bottom (maybe a mm or two?) but the screw-holes lined up perfectly. Screwed it into the case, and re-hooked up the data/video cable with no problems.

The problem was the power cable / adaptor. It was about 2 cm's too short to connect to the board on the powerbook. So, I just cut off the adaptor end, and then cut off the entire powercable from my busted LCD, stripped the ends, wrapped together, sealed each in electrical tape, and fit them in the empty space between the LCD and the Case at the bottom. Plugged in the power, re-assembled the case, and booted, no problems. Even tried minor "turbulence" and its all good.

In a nutshell: Old iBook LCD's (Made by LG, dated 1997) work FINE in brand new Alubooks, provided you just extend the powerline. This can save you a lot of money ordering a "12 inch powerbook LCD" off of a repair parts site or an apple parts retailer.
yep.

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Jul 23, 2005, 09:17 PM

thats an awesome little piece of info. thanks.

i dunno how motivated you are, but you should make a small site that has some pics and has this info so people could search for it.

cheers.

pillowcase
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2005, 04:10 PM

What were the model numbers of your two panels? I know that the old G3 Pismos had a couple of different screens used in them. So this mod may not apply to all Alubooks.

Kudos for your achievement here, but any reason you couldn't claim for screen on the car insurance?

Tenacious Dyl  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2005, 02:00 PM

Not sure on the model numbers.. I tossed out the old smashed screen. The model number for the replacement is seen here: http://www.nickroz.com/images/ibook/lcd_label.jpg

I couldn't get the screen claimed because it wasn't 'installed' in the car.

One of these days I may indeed make a 'how to' site for some of the random work I do.. perhaps if I get some time off work soon!

My basic conclusion was that iBook LCDs although different from the Alu's still work.. and if you don't mind a little fiddling, you can save some cash! No idea about Pismo..
yep.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 03:30 PM

I only mentioned Pismo as an example that sometimes the same laptop doesn't have the same screen. To replace a Pismo screen, you have to get the right part number or your replacement won't connect up. Its possible that some iBooks and PowerBooks also use a variety of screens. Its also possible that they don't. Just to warn people not to blame you if they go out and buy a panel only to find it won't fit.....

If you don't want/have time to build your own site, why not post a mod guide or two on macmod.com?

Forum Links
Forum Rules