Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro Internal SATA Problem

Mac Pro Internal SATA Problem
Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2007, 12:03 AM

Hi All,
I JUST opened my new Mac Pro Quad 2.0 this afternoon. After making sure it ran smoothly, I opened it up (while off of course) and put in 3 more SATA HDs (one in each available bay). Upon booting it, it only "saw" one of the 3 I put in. After a little bit of "musical hard-drives" I found that only the HD's in slot "1" and slot "2" are recognized, no matter which HD I put in those slots. I ran apple hardware test, and the extended test, and all passed just fine...

No matter what order they are plugged in, when I check system profiler, it only shows that two are plugged in at all. The rest are just blank SATA ports with nothing attached. I've run all the software updates, and don't know quite what to do from here.

Has anyone heard of this problem? Should I just call Apple tomorrow and ask for a new computer before I set anything else up? I'd hate to spend the next day installing all my apps and getting all my files / contacts / etc set-up, only to find that I have to send in the computer already
yep.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2007, 02:06 AM

I'd just call them and return it, although, it does sound like someone forgot to plug in some connectors on the board

brokenjago
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 01:22 PM

They won't let you return the computer, they'll want to fix it.

If I were you, I'd demand to have it replaced By Apple as DOA.
Linkinus is king.

Tenacious Dyl  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2007, 06:21 PM

You guys had the right idea

I called Apple today (When I opened the computer it was past their hours). They dodged any attempts at replacement repeatedly saying "if the technicians find that it can't be repaired with a simple part or two, we may consider replacement.... blah blah" They had no solution for the problem other than "probably motherboard replacement, maybe full computer replacement" and referred me to Comp USA.

I called Comp USA and they didn't answer their lines... any of the three. So I forgot about them and called another store nearby that is Apple Certified (Capitol Macintosh, in Lansing, MI... they are amazing!). They answered the phone, we talked a bit, and worked out that I would come in, so I packed it up and drove there. When I got there, their main Mac guy was there too, and he told me similar to what you both said "have Apple replace it... we can probably get it working fine with a mobo swap, but you would be much better off with a new computer considering that is what you just paid for!".

Capitol Macintosh called Apple for me, handed it over at the right time, and I managed to talk my way past all the "please let us repair it... and buy apple care too!" gimmicks, and they sent me a shipping label and confirmed they will send a new replacement once FedEx gets my Mac Pro. Thank god for good service They could have just as easily taken the repair job from Apple!

So I suppose that I will have a new Mac Pro shortly... this one better work!
yep.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
May 22, 2007, 06:51 PM

Great !

Enjoy. It's a wonderful computer.
Linkinus is king.

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2007, 11:24 PM

FYI, I'm guessing you were trying to call the Ann Arbor CompUSA based on your location, they are no longer in business. If you were calling Lansing, I can tell you that all they could have done is repair.

Forum Links
Forum Rules