Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > xBench RAID Results With G5

xBench RAID Results With G5
Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2005, 01:50 AM

Hey everyone, I recently purchased an identical SATA HD as the one that came with my G5 off of newegg.com, only $98 shipped! I was hoping to set it up in Striped RAID and boost performance, and today I did just that. Very easy to set up, and computer is back to "normal" with some new found speed. I ran xBench just before I put in the new drive, and also after both drives were running striped raid and acting as my boot disk. Here are the results!

One Drive (Before):
Overall Score: 209.90
Disk Test 85.23
Sequential 79.36
Uncached Write 80.86 33.70 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 54.45 22.30 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 166.32 26.33 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 73.21 29.58 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random 92.04
Uncached Write 108.75 1.63 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 113.67 25.64 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 77.32 0.51 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 79.78 16.42 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Two Drives (Now):
Overall Score: 256.56
Disk Test 210.85
Sequential 250.34
Uncached Write 381.12 158.86 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 291.50 119.37 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 158.53 25.10 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 276.59 111.75 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random 182.11
Uncached Write 355.95 5.34 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 384.06 86.62 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 106.53 0.70 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 139.58 28.73 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Somehow.... my uncached Write speeds increased just under 5x!! I never knew that RAID would have this much of a speed boost with it. I thought that double the speed would be cap... opinions? Anyone else have xBench's of such?

PS: Harddrives are both: Maxtor 7Y250M0 Drives
yep.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2005, 04:33 AM

Very impressive... makes me want to become geek enough to learn how to RAID!!!

Got a primer to recommend to an "average" Mac user?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Tenacious Dyl  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2005, 06:45 PM

Hrm... I never really consulted anything before doing this.

All I had to do was put both drives in the G5, and drag them both into a "raid" group using Disk Utility. It took just a few seconds! Then I booted the "raid" drive on my Tiger install disk, and everything was fine. The computer recognizes it as just one disk. Here is a website that might explain the basics pretty well for ya!

http://www.acnc.com/raid.html

Hope I could help!
yep.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2005, 11:28 PM

Heh...that's nuthin'. Try hooking both halves of a fully-populated XServe RAID (each half set up for RAID level 5) and software-striping the two halves together into one volume.

*That's* speed. Got one'a'dem going at work for our Disk-to-Disk-to-Tape backup system (more for the space than the speed, but whoo-boy, is it fast).
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2005, 11:54 PM

We had a Medea setup that did over 450MB/sec for online HD editing, thats the fastest I have ever used for work.

Tenacious, do you notice an overall system improvement? I thought of doing this ever since I got a 500GB Big Disk extreme for my birthday, I backup my full system nightly now so data loss is not really a concern. I was thinking two of the 74GB 10K RPM raptors though, would give me about 120GB of usable space I'd imagine. Don't know if they make them larger now or not.

Tenacious Dyl  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2005, 02:05 AM

Yeah, the Raptors are still sadly 74 GB's max... I almost bought 2 of those, but I got the 250 GB Maxtor for less than the price of one Raptor (actually like close to half!) and already had one. It was an economy thing

In terms of speed, ... oh baby Booting isn't fully 2x the speed, I would say about 1.75x the speed, a very visible improvement, but nothing mind-blowing.

The full-install of Tiger took almost no time at all, and other installers have BLAZED. All of my login-applications that boot once I'm in are faster in loading, and the general 40-seconds of time after the computer has loaded is much more snappier. The icons, background, etc pop up faster, and are more responsive, while other apps load.

Application speeds vary, as my hard-drive was really my bottleneck for speed before. Some apps like "Mac The Ripper" are MUCH faster, while other apps like Handbrake are still more processor intensive, and are only slightly faster.

End of the story, if you have apps that access / load / transfer a lot of files, or you are doing things like large photoshop / video files and rendering, then you definitely want this. iMovie is MUCH faster (before my processors were at like... 30-40% idle when rendering a long, and large, iMovie effect, this was because my hard-drive was the limiting factor (read the video, edit the video, re-write the video) so applications like this are greatly improved!

Hope I could help!
yep.

Jellytussle
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2005, 10:00 AM

How's your backup, for when your AID (no R!) dies and you've lost everything?
You see, my friends, pirates are the key. - thalo

Tenacious Dyl  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2005, 04:05 AM

I keep a 200 GB Firewire drive at the handy, I (almost daily) back-up my address book, pictures, work, school work, and any projects. Its no problem, and it is portable!
yep.

Forum Links
Forum Rules